Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it even worth getting into reloading 9mm minor right now?

ColoradoNick

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/5/2024 at 5:40 AM, RangerTrace said:

Depends on how you look at it.   My current load is a Hornady 125 grain HAP over 4.8 grains of N330 to 1.125" using fully processed brass.  This costs me around 26 cents a round.  Can I buy factory ammo for less, yes.  But if I want to buy a round that is similar to what I'm loading, it will be at 50+ cents a round from Atlanta Arms or Staccato.  

Really?  Not trying to be spicy.  Just don't see how your load can be that far from Blazer or PMC Bronze?  Last PMC I bought(last week) was 24c a round for 1K.  If I got to a 5K buy I bet I can get it to 22c.  I'm am running 115's - Blazer or PMC and it's pretty soft, close enough to power factor.  Some pretty high level guys are going this route too.  

I have a 1050 but 7c for a primer, 10c for a bullet, 7c for processed brass...I'm at .24c plus powder. I'm loading out components I have for practice ammo.  I enjoy doing it, but not sure I'll load much after that's gone. 😎 

If I had to buy a press? Non-starter. 😉

11 hours ago, Chutist said:

Really?  Not trying to be spicy.  Just don't see how your load can be that far from Blazer or PMC Bronze?  Last PMC I bought(last week) was 24c a round for 1K.  If I got to a 5K buy I bet I can get it to 22c.  I'm am running 115's - Blazer or PMC and it's pretty soft, close enough to power factor.  Some pretty high level guys are going this route too.  

I have a 1050 but 7c for a primer, 10c for a bullet, 7c for processed brass...I'm at .24c plus powder. I'm loading out components I have for practice ammo.  I enjoy doing it, but not sure I'll load much after that's gone. 😎 

If I had to buy a press? Non-starter. 😉

I don't care for factory ammo because of the muzzle blast.  My loads are softer, quieter and more accurate.  In a game of time/points accuracy matters.  I did start buying Super Vel 124s for practice rounds though.

bulk 9mm has just about always followed component cast,, IMO it has never really been financially worth the time and effort. I have alot of components.. I mean I still have a a couple boxes of $14 per K primers,, but will save them for other calibers that are more expensive than 9mm' Right now.. If I was running a 9mm 929 Id load 9 but you cant really call that 9mm, as the ammo is pretty specialized.  I am running 38 short colt and that stuff loaded is $1 a round if you can find it and it probably wont make PF

Yeah, if you're going to buy processed brass, why bother loading factory-similar loads.  Picking it up and tumbling it is almost-free though, so if it takes you 15 minutes to pick up 500 pieces, you're "making" $100+ an hour.

One of the nice things about shooting a revolver with moon clips is getting your own brass back every shot. I shoot the same brass till it splits and buy same headstamp brass every few years. 2K will last forever.

I guess autos are some different but at home I pick up brass that is my own for free.

Lost brass matches are different but you can usually pick brass at some point .

Having a .300WM, .308, and decently accurate 5.56, I’ve looked into reloading. If I had the setup completed for those, I’d probably reload 9mm as well. 

As it stands, I shoot way more 9mm than anything else and I can’t seem to “bite the bullet” and get all the reloading equipment. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great thread and thanks. I am a single stage re-loader for rifle and am looking into loading for 9mm. I feel I need to plan out how to get away from my current 50 rounds per hour with an autotrickler and either come up with an interim process with a thrower with checkpoints(I have a cheap thrower now) or consider a progressive press from the onset. I will spend the rest of the season seeing how much I can scrounge case wise as a motivator.

You can go with a Lee Auto Disc powder dropper pretty reasonably. Very accurate and better with the Lee precision disc replacement for more minute measures. That would speed up the process somewhat.

The Lee Turret is a good choice and does around 200 RPM. More if you use the auto prime. I have an old (80s) Turret that has well over 250K loaded on it. Don't use it a lot anymore but it is down there waiting to go!

I have 2 progressive presses and I’ve stopped reloading, at least for the time being.  I shoot 9 minor, and I see very little reason to load that.  I buy the cheapest brass case 9 and it’s fine.  If I got back into shooting major power factor, I’d start loading again.  But for now, don’t save enough money to make it worth the time and effort

I live in the Netherlands, and I can reload 9 minor for € 0,20 per round at the moment (Euros and Dollars are very close at the moment)  and factory ammo costs about € 0,30 per round.  But we don't have a lot of choice in factory ammo... so if you buy factory ammo, it's gonna be a bit of a spicy round, which I don't really like. 

But if I had to start reloading now....   That would not be an easy choice.

So far i feel like i  reading definitely be ABLE and equipped to load but possibly consider if you currently have the choice not to for something that works at a decent price point for factory/minor. Advantages are same as rifle tuning specific load at the cost of time.

3 hours ago, WFargo said:

I live in the Netherlands, and I can reload 9 minor for € 0,20 per round at the moment (Euros and Dollars are very close at the moment)  and factory ammo costs about € 0,30 per round.  But we don't have a lot of choice in factory ammo... so if you buy factory ammo, it's gonna be a bit of a spicy round, which I don't really like. 

But if I had to start reloading now....   That would not be an easy choice.

What's the price of primers over there? Here in Finland you can expect to pay 9 cents/primer, if you can even find some. It's been like that for well over a year now.

@JonasAberg  it's quite pathetic at the moment...  Actually... it's been this way for over a year, if not longer already.

We have only two brands of small pistol primers available in the Netherlands which are Fiocchi and Ginex. 

Fiocchi are € 105 per 1.500 primers and Ginex are € 70,- for 1.000 primers. 

(so.. they're the same price 7 cents per primer)

but at least we have some availability, and we can still shoot...  for now....

Edited by WFargo

I can make up justifications in my head about reloading 9 Minor....consistency, I can 'build' really good 'match' rounds - weigh bullets and group them, etc. 

But none of it will withstand any kind of scrutiny, I'm still spending 18-20cents a round to reload...and right now in the US we can routinely buy 124gr Blazer for 24c or 147gr Fed for 26c or 150gr Fed for 33c.

There is an element that after I do all the prep work, and I can sit down and really crank out rounds, there is a level of 'enjoyment' there - kind of a zen thing.  But doing all the pre/post work kind of drags that down...lol