Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge with one hand.

Danbob

I am missing my left arm at the elbow. The most appropriate pistol competition for me is obviously Precision Pistol or 10 Meter Air pistol. Unfortunately the only clubs that offer those are about 2 hours away. If I was an experienced shooter I might be willing to do that once a month. Unfortunately I have never shot any matches.  A nearby club with weekly practice would work but as I said there are none nearby.

With all that said, there is a nearby club that has steel challenge matches. I visited a match last month and it looks like fun. I plan to give it a try in a couple of weeks. Now obviously this is not "apples to apples" competition but I am used to that. I can participate and compete against myself. I would try to beat personal best times etc. What I am wondering is if there are any other one handed steel challenge shooters out there. I am curious what there scores are. That way I can see just how bad I am "apples to apples"🙂.

If there are any other one handed steel challenge shooters out there, I would sure like to hear from you.  

I'm not one-handed, but I did shoot matches with just one hand for a few months. Based on my testing, my one-handed performance is about 75-80% of my two-handed performance with relatively light guns (it would probably be much worse with my heavier steel guns, but I haven't tested that yet). I can probably consistently shoot B to A class Steel Challenge Carry Optics times one handed. If you do shoot a SC match and want some times for comparison, then let me know which division you chose and I'll lay down some times.

I shot a few matches WHO when I broke my finger. Was not great but I wasn't last place. As long as you don't need to reload within a string then you are going to be okay. Be cautious of how you reload between strings or during make ready due to the rules about placing firearms on objects when loaded if that is how you handle your gun during those times. 

Thanks for the feedback. Its a couple of weeks til my first match. I have been practicing with my Ruger MK3. I put up about 5 paper plates and shot various random combinations. Not too impressive but you've got to start somewhere.

Broadside72, you are right about reloading and handling between strings. I shoot 10 meter pellet in my basement and have developed bad muzzle habits when I put the pistol under my arm pointed backward. That will not do! I usually practice at the range alone and have caught myself doing it there when I change magazines.  The practice of keeping the pistol in the case at all times when not shooting will probably help.

Again thanks for your input. 

Dan (Danbob)

There is a wonderful and inspiring SCSA shooter that has no arms and shoots using his feet.  there are adjustments for disabled ( not fond of that word ) shooters.   rim fire would be the obvious choice and loading and un loading will be the challenge to work out.  dropping the mag on a table or into a assisting RO's hand then with permission shooting the last chambered rd into the berm will clear the gun and if the RO is given a empty mag to put int the firearm it will of course lock the bolt back for show clear.  Main thing is to be safe and have fun.  he shoots from a chair but I do not recall how he handles reloads.  Sorry

xpierrat,  I use a Tandemcross Halo charging handle to operate the slide. My left (short) arm can get into the ring just far enough to pull the bolt so clearing the last round should be ok. I can safely load a new magazine without violating the 180 degree rule, I just can't do it fast. Thanks for the encouragement.
Be well,

Dan

You could always use a holster to change mags. Just put the gun in the holster 3/4 of the way and hit the mag release. Then put it all the way in the holster, pull the mag out and put a new one in. There's no rule against this as long as the safety is engaged. You could charge the gun this way as well as long as the safety is engaged first. You'd have to rack the gun when you uncase and engage the safety, holster, mag, rack, safety off, low ready... Could also get the slide racker style thing (bar style, not the ring) that goes on the back of the bolt and just hook that into your belt to run the bolt

For loading mags that cheap red thing that holds the spring down would work you'd just need a way to hold the mag upright. Possibly if somone could make steel basplates you could put a magnet on top of an ammo can to hold the mag or something along those lines. 

There's dozens of ways to adapt. If you need anything made or welded feel free to send me your number I don't charge any money, just shipping 

Thanks Louu,

You have given me lots of good ideas. I appreciate the amount of thought you gave to this. The RO I met at the match I attended was very welcoming. I am sure he will be patient walking me through the safety protocols. It is just a local club match. The steel baseplate and magnet is an interesting idea. I could glue a piece of steel to a plastic baseplate to try the idea out.
Thank all of you who replied. 
Dan

I remember watching a one handed open gun shooter that had a belt rig something like a moon clip rack that a revolver shooter would use but he had magazines mounted base down and he would just punch out the old mag and press the open magwell down on top of the fresh magazine and go back to work, he was pretty efficient and good at it.

On 2/9/2023 at 8:21 PM, Danbob said:

I am missing my left arm at the elbow. The most appropriate pistol competition for me is obviously Precision Pistol or 10 Meter Air pistol. Unfortunately the only clubs that offer those are about 2 hours away. If I was an experienced shooter I might be willing to do that once a month. Unfortunately I have never shot any matches.  A nearby club with weekly practice would work but as I said there are none nearby.

Since your left arm ends at or near the elbow, it may be possible to use your left arm in support of your right hand.  Have you tried using it for support?  Just because you're one handed doesn't necessarily mean you have to shoot Steel Challenge from a Bullseye one handed stance.

https://www.businessinsider.com/this-man-with-no-hands-is-a-pro-shooter-2016-5

You might try some non-traditional stances and different methods of manipulation for reloads, etc... with an airsoft pistol before trying with a firearm.

I admire your determination!

Nolan

Danbob,I too admire your determination and believe you will be able to do this and possibly more. 

Someone very close to me last their right arm just below their elbow last year. He was interested in shooting and has shot a few22 matches with me before the accident. 

So I made a stand to hold the 5 Ruger 22 mags and also put and attachment on it that he can cock the pistol with. I just used scrap lumber and stuff I had in my shop. I will get some pictures tomorrow and try to post them. They may too large to post so I might have to send them to your email. 

I would be happy to be of any assistance I can to help you get to where you can shoot matches safely and enjoy them. 

Edited by Don_B

16 hours ago, Nolan said:

Since your left arm ends at or near the elbow, it may be possible to use your left arm in support of your right hand.  Have you tried using it for support?  Just because you're one handed doesn't necessarily mean you have to shoot Steel Challenge from a Bullseye one handed stance.

https://www.businessinsider.com/this-man-with-no-hands-is-a-pro-shooter-2016-5

You might try some non-traditional stances and different methods of manipulation for reloads, etc... with an airsoft pistol before trying with a firearm.

I admire your determination!

Nolan

Wow, Nubs is incredible. 
I have tried using my left arm as support once on my air pistol and it seemed strange. I might give it another try.
Thanks,
Dan

16 hours ago, Don_B said:

Danbob,I too admire your determination and believe you will be able to do this and possibly more. 

Someone very close to me last their right arm just below their elbow last year. He was interested in shooting and has shot a few22 matches with me before the accident. 

So I made a stand to hold the 5 Ruger 22 mags and also put and attachment on it that he can cock the pistol with. I just used scrap lumber and stuff I had in my shop. I will get some pictures tomorrow and try to post them. They may too large to post so I might have to send them to your email. 

I would be happy to be of any assistance I can to help you get to where you can shoot matches safely and enjoy them. 

Your friend has a tougher situation than I have. I have never had another hand to miss. Things that were easy for him/her before turn into a pain in the A$$.  It has to be frustrating. I have recently developed disc degeneration in my back that has caused some neurological pain and mobility issues. This bothers me a lot more than missing an arm. But everybody gets old (if they are lucky) so I don't feel cheated, annoyed but not cheated. Losses due to aging are normal. OTOH, there is nothing normal about losing a limb.

Send my best to your friend.

I have a video of me racking the slide on my Ruger with my left arm. If I can find it I will post a link.

Take care,
Dan

Indeed it is a very difficult for this person but he is getting through it. 

I tried to post pics but they are too large. If you will give me an email I will send the pics to you then you can see if this might be helpful. 

Don

Don_B,

Here is a link to a video I made showing how I use a Tandemcross Halo to charge my Ruger MK3.  A generous guy named Mike gave me the Halo, so It starts with my telling him hello.

I wonder if this will work

11 minutes ago, Don_B said:

Indeed it is a very difficult for this person but he is getting through it. 

I tried to post pics but they are too large. If you will give me an email I will send the pics to you then you can see if this might be helpful. 

Don

PM sent w/ email address.

On 2/17/2023 at 4:11 PM, xpierrat said:

There is a wonderful and inspiring SCSA shooter that has no arms and shoots using his feet.  there are adjustments for disabled ( not fond of that word ) shooters.   rim fire would be the obvious choice and loading and un loading will be the challenge to work out.  dropping the mag on a table or into a assisting RO's hand then with permission shooting the last chambered rd into the berm will clear the gun and if the RO is given a empty mag to put int the firearm it will of course lock the bolt back for show clear.  Main thing is to be safe and have fun.  he shoots from a chair but I do not recall how he handles reloads.  Sorry

I have had the chance to see him shoot at matches.  Bubba Stevenson is his name.  He loads his magazines with his feet, he reloads his handgun with feet as well.  He even takes his Ruger 22 apart and cleans it with his feet!  It is inspiring to watch.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to shoot with a gentleman that didn't have the use of his right arm.  He would do everything with his left.  he'd insert the mag while it was still in the holster.  Than use the optic against the holster the rack the slide.  After the string he'd holster, eject mag and replace.  

You sir, are an amazing inspiration.

Just a humble suggestion, you're doing just great with your halo bolt racker. Have you tried the Power Custom or Midwest Industries bolt racker ? Maybe you can use your belt or a table with these. Maybe it's easier on your left hand too, than the "ring" on the halo.

MajesticArmsBoltRacker.jpg