Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Performance vs Timney Alpha trigger comparison with measured data

earlan357

My Glock Performance trigger arrived today so I dusted off my trigger dyno.
The Factory and Timney triggers have less than 500 rounds through them, while the Glock Performance is new out of the box. All were cleaned and wiped down with Slip2k.  All used the same slide and a 4.5# "dot" connector.

Keep in mind that most people measure trigger weight at the tip near the trigger guard.  While this makes it easier to get consistent readings, it's lower than where your finger actually rests and gives a lighter reading than actual.  The "finger" on my rig pulls where I do, about 2/3 down the face of the trigger.

The Performance trigger starts about 4mm farther forward in the trigger guard than the factory. Both have a total travel of about 10.5mm.
The Timney starts about 1mm farther back than the factory, and the overall travel is reduced to about 8mm.
The Performance trigger reduced overtravel to about 0.6mm, while the Factory and Timney remained close to 1.2mm.
The Performance trigger’s safety blade spring is quite strong so it tends to catch on the frame if your finger isn't perfectly square to the face.  While the wall is clearly defined, the break is pretty mushy. Hopefully it’ll smooth out with use.

I'm going to revisit this with a Timney shoe to get a more equal comparison.  I also have some custom springs on order.  I should be able to reduce the break weight by 8-12 oz but maintain the same reset force.  Hopefully I can combine that with a heavier connector to get a crisper break and shorter reset while keeping the break under 3#.

GP vs Timney.png

testing.jpg

Thank you for making this. Very informative (I had no idea what a trigger dyno was before this). 

Are you going to test the performance trigger with a minus connector ?

Ive seen some posts/videos of folks getting around 2.5lbs using a (-) connector and performance trigger. 

6 hours ago, Eli_a said:

Thank you for making this. Very informative (I had no idea what a trigger dyno was before this). 

Are you going to test the performance trigger with a minus connector ?

Ive seen some posts/videos of folks getting around 2.5lbs using a (-) connector and performance trigger. 

When my new shoe comes in I'll run it with (-), (.), unmarked, and a (+).

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2023 at 11:50 PM, earlan357 said:

When my new shoe comes in I'll run it with (-), (.), unmarked, and a (+).

looking forward to seeing how the performance trigger works with a “-“ connector. 

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Cuz said:

Unfortunately, I don’t have a clue what any of that means. 

It quantifies everything you feel in the trigger pull and reset.  It shows the trigger weight measured every .025mm or roughly .001" of the the pull.  So you could select the gen5 dot trigger that comes stock in a G17 and compare it to another configuration.   Here's a cheat sheet on how to make sense of the lines.

Trigger graph interpret.png

On 5/4/2023 at 1:53 PM, bulldog009 said:

Glock has them in stock HERE

Much thanks. I had a notification from Primary arms for in stock and could order fast enough. Was about $25 cheaper with my discount but beggars can’t be choosers 

• 1 month later...