Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun repair

jjordan355

Hey guys, I’ve got a CK open gun that has a cracked slide. Looking to get my new slide and comp fitted and machined. Any reputable builders out there that are taking on work? I’ve emailed a couple of the big names with a no unfortunately. Would like to get this gun going before season gets kicked off too much here in the great white north. 

38 minutes ago, lacivilian said:

Your best bet is going to be small name builders that still work on other builders guns. You will find a better response if there is a smaller builder semi-local to you.

I’ve spoke to two local to me…both are 6-8 months out..

9 minutes ago, dapribek said:

Unfortunately, I’d guess that any really good smith will have a long waiting time. My gunsmith told me it would take him 6 months before he could install A Volquartsen kit in my Ruger Mark IV!

That’s what I’m afraid. I’ve got a bunch of big matches this summer, not very excited. 

We have several really good local gunsmiths.  One has completely stopped taking work.  He said he may consider opening in around 8 months when he has worked through his backlog.  The other two are currently 6-8 months out for even the simplest work.  You have to leave your gun there for the entire time.  It has been like this for years.  That is precisely why I learned to build my own guns.  I can do all the gunsmithing. A local machinist handles any milling I require.

I had 3 custom guns from a well known smith, but eventually sold them all and became a Glock guy. I took the armorer’s course and never looked back.  It’s comforting knowing I can probably fix my own gun. That being said, I do, however, carry a back up to all my matches, can’t be too careful!

7 minutes ago, DukeSoprano said:

Bobby Keigans from CK Arms. There was an CK Open gun in the classifieds a few days ago and the seller stated he just received the gun back from Bobby replacing its cracked slide.

Oh okay. I haven’t contacted him. Is he with masterpiece now? 

Thanks guys, I’ll give Abernathy a call. Had another fellow message me to steer me away from Keigans. No hard feelings but if you can’t do it right the first time I’m not sure why I’d trust you with such an expensive job and expect it to be kosher the second time.