Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Optics

Rich406

2 hours ago, Nathanb said:

Honestly who turns down a magwell if you can have it? You can practically throw a mag in with the magwell on it 

I shot LO in a couple matches for funsies.  The magwell helps some for reloads, but you're not doing many of those.  I way prefer it for the grip, and that has value on every shot.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any pistol with a rear sight dovetail is "red dot ready".  I see zero performance difference between an OR pistol and a dovetail-dot pistol, although the OR looks cooler.   I'm only M in CO though so YMMV

13 minutes ago, shred said:

The way to get rid of Major without pissing people off is to add some complexity-- for a while-- make a "Mid" PF around 135-140.  Scores 5-4-1, so major points for the C and minor points for the D.  Recognizes power on target since LE doesn't shoot 125 PF 9 and penalized bad shots.  

This would be super interesting.  

Maybe you do this for LO only to make it a stand alone division.  This would also give you data on lowering PF.  

I would make the bottom of Mid 140 though.

Edited by Boomstick303

8 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

Ok so rephrase that to 2011 in 40. 

RIA for one, Remington if they're in business this week.  There's also Tac Sports and other SAO pistols and all the Glocks and HKs and XDs in .40 that have nowhere else to play hicap.  Plus 10mm is coming back which gets the new tac coolness factor.

3 minutes ago, shred said:

RIA for one, but there's also Tac Sports and other SAO pistols.  Plus plenty of 10mms and arguably thats a better caliber for Limited Major anyway, plus new tac coolness.

Ya. I looked around and there are plenty that don’t come dot ready. I suppose a dovetail mount would be fine for trying it out. 

still though, going forward. I think 40 is on its way out. 

Edited by Rich406

Is there even a mass produced red dot ready 2011 available in 40?

For example, staccato no longer makes one. 

why does it need to be mass produced? limited isn't about mass-produced guns, so why should LO be? We have divisions for mass produced guns already.

1 minute ago, motosapiens said:

why does it need to be mass produced? limited isn't about mass-produced guns, so why should LO be? We have divisions for mass produced guns already.

Because a custom gun is 5-6k+ and an off the shelf version would be half that?

Ya. I looked around and there are plenty that don’t come dot ready. I suppose a dovetail mount would be fine for trying it out. 

still though, going forward. I think 40 is on its way out. 

Dovetail mount is zero performance penalty for 90+% of shooters.  Sticks up a bit higher, but still lower than any frame mount puts the dot.

.40 is fading out in the larger industry for sure, but USPSA has plenty of people shooting 9x23 Winchester, 38 Supercomp and even .38 Short Colt, all of which are far more obsolete than .40.

Wild prediction here, LO is not gonna be designed as an entry-level division.

19 minutes ago, shred said:

And it shouldn't be an entry-level division.  We already have 4 of those. 5 if you count PCC.

7 minutes ago, RJH said:

Yep, but more 45  ammo and guns is sold than 40 so......

but more rimfire rounds are produced each year than all centerfire calibers combined.... so we should give up on centerfire and just shoot 22. That should make the people who are scared of 40 even happier. ;)

6 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

but more rimfire rounds are produced each year than all centerfire calibers combined.... so we should give up on centerfire and just shoot 22. That should make the people who are scared of 40 even happier. ;)

Well rimfire don't make minor and is not a currently accepted caliber at all. But nice try on a straw man argument.

Point is there's way more 45 shooters in the world than 40, but nobody's clamoring for a new 45 division because it's a bad idea. Just like creating a new 40 division is a bad idea 

I'll leave you to go think about being an old man and little girls hands now. That seems to be your favorite subject

Just now, RJH said:

Well rimfire don't make minor and is not a currently accepted caliber at all. But nice try on a straw man argument.

if we're talking about getting rid of major because less 40 is sold and the fbi can't get girls to pass their quals with 40, I think we should be open to the idea of getting rid of power factor entirely. We could grow the sport, and more LEO's could pass their quals!!!

My prediction is as a major/minor division it doesn't do vary well. 

Of all the people I've seen asking either for this division or just to allow SAO in CO. None of them were asking for a major scored division. It mostly seems like people who either opposed it or were indifferent who are saying make it major.

It's kind of like when they started CO with a 35 oz weight limit that no one was asking for, and no one shot it. We should probably build the division to the demand and not just to make if fit better. Instead of creating a place for the guns people want to shoot, we're creating a division for a gun no one has or really wants. 

I wonder what kind of numbers it would take for them to decide it's a bad idea. Currently Limited is like 50% minor shooters. So if half the shooters shoot major will it be considered a success? Limited division in it's current form isn't vary successful IMO. 

11 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I do not recall seeing this on this thread so I present this for the FUDDs to completely melt down.

If that's the one I saw a while back, that Kenny Platt guy has it figured out. I don't know who he is other than some guy on this podcast, but he's pretty much right

2 hours ago, shred said:

If everybody wants to be honest , Nothing about the USPSA/IPSC is designed as an entry level division.

Edited by usmc1974

11 minutes ago, RJH said:

If that's the one I saw a while back, that Kenny Platt guy has it figured out. I don't know who he is other than some guy on this podcast, but he's pretty much right

He's a pretty solid 3 division GM, and a smart guy. Like any sponsored shooter, you have to read between the lines sometimes, but generally he is helpful and constructive. Thankfully he is shooting CO now, because it was hurting my feelings when he was shooting production and still beating me, lol.

2 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

He's a pretty solid 3 division GM, and a smart guy. Like any sponsored shooter, you have to read between the lines sometimes, but generally he is helpful and constructive. Thankfully he is shooting CO now, because it was hurting my feelings when he was shooting production and still beating me, lol.

Who is he sponsored by?

1 minute ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think he was shooting gray guns from  listening to him on podcasts. 

So not a 2011 shooter? And he even said Sao guns would fit right in carry-ops now if I remember correct...