Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 Question

gargoil66

1 hour ago, testosterone said:

i am buying it for .21c a round reman, this is very close to me doing it and that is assuming zero brass cost.

Can they guarantee they're using Federal primers and brass, though? That's the real kicker here... if you want a really sweet revolver trigger, there's reload variables you need to control pretty tightly.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, erwos said:

Can they guarantee they're using Federal primers and brass, though? That's the real kicker here... if you want a really sweet revolver trigger, there's reload variables you need to control pretty tightly.

yeah, its def not.   That's why i said revolvers are stupid(somewhere on this thread) because I have to deal with all that to have a working system.    The reman ammo goes through CZ and M&P's just dandy though and it lets me use my federal primers exclusively for my revolver loads, though I never used fed primers loading for the autos, that is CCI and WIN...and in the 2011's i can use rifle primers as well...

1 minute ago, testosterone said:

yeah, its def not.   That's why i said revolvers are stupid(somewhere on this thread) because I have to deal with all that to have a working system.    The reman ammo goes through CZ and M&P's just dandy though and it lets me use my federal primers exclusively for my revolver loads, though I never used fed primers loading for the autos, that is CCI and WIN...and in the 2011's i can use rifle primers as well...

Nature of the beast, unfortunately. I had a problem this past Sunday at a match (naturally) because the ogive of some new 230gr bullets I was using was just different enough to screw up the headspace on my 625. Same ammo ran fine in my SAS II and produced one jagged hole in the target. If nothing else, running revolvers has taught me stuff about reloading I don't think I ever would have figured out otherwise. :P

2 hours ago, testosterone said:

My match glocks with light sweet pulls require fed primers, well seated.  My 1911 2011's don't.

On 12/8/2022 at 11:52 AM, erwos said:

Nature of the beast, unfortunately. I had a problem this past Sunday at a match (naturally) because the ogive of some new 230gr bullets I was using was just different enough to screw up the headspace on my 625. Same ammo ran fine in my SAS II and produced one jagged hole in the target. If nothing else, running revolvers has taught me stuff about reloading I don't think I ever would have figured out otherwise. :P

ER:

On the bright side, bet you were happy to find they would shoot out of another blaster.

For me, it is a relief to load for a revolver.  Don't have to worry about a load that will guarantee function in extremes of temperature.  For me, it is more difficult to find a 'perfect' overall length for a semi auto than a revolver.  About the only thing the revolvers are in terms of PITA factor is the primers.  

GG

• 3 months later...

Also need holster, maybe moonclip holders,  holster, may eventually need to work with an optic, havent decided on putting an optic or FO sight on.. Kinda surprised it doesnt have that easy change front sight

Some guns use .035 some use .040. You just have to try them.

I use an SDM Super Sight. It's got a bigger fiber optic than Dawson. It's easier for me to see.

The factory comp is completely useless. Completely

15 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

I use an SDM Super Sight. It's got a bigger fiber optic than Dawson. It's easier for me to see.

Thanks,, 
4 lb SA,, 11.4 lb DA,,  Definitely wallops the primers.  Left Moonclip, Winchester SPP Blue box.  Right WOLF primers from about 2008. 
Looks like my 686 moonclip holders will work,  I am gonna get the larger diameter posts though. Havent decided on a sight or an optic for the 929.. I have one plate and one optic,, and a new 617.
I put HOuge conversion G10 grips on the 617 and they rub on the speed loaders,, and really not all that impressed with the fit. I have some Altamonts in a box around here somewhere.

20230408_130522.jpg

Edited by Joe4d

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 12:03 PM, ysrracer said:

Hey Brad, I am a new 929 guy and the first thing I got was a SDM Super Sight, it needs to be drilled for the pin right? I am going to replace the rear sight blade with a Weigand

also seems like there are different internal dimensions on the clips,, round vs a slight octogon.. And of course different moon clip tools,, / arbors.. 
Moon clip holders I will be using are the talls and have a bit of tension on them, they will hold a double stack of 357,, so assuming probably 3 9mm. 

6 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

I use TK moon clips, they work better with my magnetic holders. The ones pictured above in Joe4ds' picture work, but have a tendency to fall off of the mag holder while moving through the stage.

I think the material matters at least as much as the shape. I have a bunch of stainless TK moons, which have a round hole in the middle and stick to my magnets pretty well, and a bunch of plated steel Revolver Supply moons, which have the octagon but stick even better.

Pulled the reddot of the 617,,  Trigger still sucks on the 617, swapped in a Wolff spring and got light strikes, sights suck on the 929,  Came with a .120 rear blade and not even close being able to zero, Had a 160 V blade onhand, but the sight image with the big flat blade kinda blows

46 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Pulled the reddot of the 617,,  Trigger still sucks on the 617, swapped in a Wolff spring and got light strikes, sights suck on the 929,  Came with a .120 rear blade and not even close being able to zero, Had a 160 V blade onhand, but the sight image with the big flat blade kinda blows

929 comes stock with .196 rear blade.

On 4/18/2023 at 4:59 PM, MuayThaiJJ said:

Hey Brad, I am a new 929 guy and the first thing I got was a SDM Super Sight, it needs to be drilled for the pin right? I am going to replace the rear sight blade with a Weigand

I use a Weigand rear blade. I think the front sight needs to be drilled. Mine has a Bowen block, and that's spring loaded.

1 hour ago, Bosshoss said:

929 comes stock with .196 rear blade.

maybe urs did., your welcome to come measure the one in the trash if you like.
Blue loctite most everything.
Yeh bummer this gun didnt have the quick change blade like my 686 pro, gonna be a PIA, I actually have 3 to do, So probably be good at it by the last one. I did a 646 many moons ago.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

maybe urs did., your welcome to come measure the one in the trash if you like.
Blue loctite most everything.
Yeh bummer this gun didnt have the quick change blade like my 686 pro, gonna be a PIA, I actually have 3 to do, So probably be good at it by the last one. I did a 646 many moons ago.

Mine and all the ones that I have had in the shop for action work had the tall rear blade.

Did you buy new?

I suppose S&W might of screwed up it wouldn't have been the first time.

None of the guns with endcaps get the quick change front sights.

Brand new last week.. Not only a tiny rear blade it was also bent slightly. Pretty useless. Was about a foot low at 20 yards.  with the rear jacked about as far up as I wanted

Existing front is 220 PPrdered a 215 from Dawson,, should work well with the 160 V blade I had on hand I meant to put on my 386 truck gun

• 2 weeks later...

I’m definitely in the camp of a huge stockpile of 9mm blazer brass.  Given I’m loading for 2 shooters and decent practice amounts I’d need a lot of starline short colt.

I also like the DAA moons (cheaper than TK) and DAA posts.  Yes they aren’t as sticky but it makes for a faster reload.

I did not want to start a new thread for this question, so going to ask it here. There has been a bit of back and forth over the diameter of the barrels S&W used on the 929 and people have slugged the barrels seem to get the a pretty consistent result on the diameter. I wanted to know what the twist rate of the barrels are in the 929 vs the 627, 38/357 guns? 

16 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I did not want to start a new thread for this question, so going to ask it here. There has been a bit of back and forth over the diameter of the barrels S&W used on the 929 and people have slugged the barrels seem to get the a pretty consistent result on the diameter. I wanted to know what the twist rate of the barrels are in the 929 vs the 627, 38/357 guns? 

The factory barrels are 1/10 twist.

Ymmv.   Of my 4 929's only 1 factory barrel shot something id call good at 25 yards.  The others were 4" ++