Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA & comps

usmc1974

11 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

An old science fiction story was set on a very rationally governed planet had a constitutional requirement that any new law passed would have to specify the law that it was to repeal and replace.

Bug would be the easy pick. But CDP is pretty weak too, so it's Revolver. If we had to kill a division any of those would be good choices. 

Really, most matches are basically CO matches these days. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember right, 1 of the things about IDPA in 1996 ( my number AO1668 ) was that comp's magwells red dots, and things of this nature right down to reload Ammunition Could be a terrible liability in court. The same probably wholes today.Just a thought.

10 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Bug would be the easy pick. But CDP is pretty weak too, so it's Revolver. If we had to kill a division any of those would be good choices. 

Really, most matches are basically CO matches these days. 

Main match BUG is a real dead end, I do not remember seeing anybody shooting it at a match in my theatre of operations.

I HAVE shot a real BUG in an outlaw event and it was a chore.  Next time, I shot a 4" revolver as allowed in the local rules.

I am kind of sentimental about CDP and SSR, for one long spell I actually placed better in CDP than ESP and SSR is kind of fun; but agree they are low in interest and attendance.  

23 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

If I remember right, 1 of the things about IDPA in 1996 ( my number AO1668 ) was that comp's magwells red dots, and things of this nature right down to reload Ammunition Could be a terrible liability in court. The same probably wholes today.Just a thought.

I'm believing that's going to be fudd lore

22 hours ago, RJH said:

Well, Roland special was originally built buy a guy who been there and done that, so maybe not so stupid. So IDPA, an org based around "defensive" pistol use seems a perfect place for this. But whatever....

I don't give a rat's ass who came up with it.

Logical fallacy: appeal to authority

1 hour ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

You’re not going to agree with everything or everyone. But for a start get off your high horse, you’re kind of a jerk in every thread I see you in. Including one I stated where you assumed I wasn’t putting in the work. You posted your variation of the same phase that has been echoed for years about purchasing ammo rather than upgrading a weapon. 

My opinion is small comps can be practical on carry guns.  Open gun sized comps aren’t practical. Allow comps in CO, and ESP but the gun must fit in the standard box. IDPA is still a game and the more fun it is the more attention it will grab. Imagine idpa being all the rage on Instagram rather than newbs posting their sub 1 second draws from 3 yards without aiming and thinking they’re special. 

1 hour ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Please watch your language, I'd rather not have my thread close down.

Edited by usmc1974

On 11/30/2022 at 10:53 PM, usmc1974 said:

I really like this gun, if I could build it I would carry it.  but I guess I don't know how to build it. Still it is very cool looking.

s019NjeSVf_c7N4P1Xm3SIHnf1NA3MnRKBgaa0eIg0k.jpg.aa89ecea020f3765c39343795b6b77a2 (1).jpg

Looks like a slide, threaded barrel, comp, flashlight, magwell and trigger. Stipple job looks pretty good. 

It shouldn't be hard to do at all really, it is a glock. Stippling is the only part that would take any skill. Talon grips would be easier. 

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

Looks like a slide, threaded barrel, comp, flashlight, magwell and trigger. Stipple job looks pretty good. 

It shouldn't be hard to do at all really, it is a glock. Stippling is the only part that would take any skill. Talon grips would be easier. 

I don't believe that to Glock 19 slide, lines up with the Glock 17 locking blocks.

26 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

I don't believe that to Glock 19 slide, lines up with the Glock 17 locking blocks.

Looks like a gen 5 glock which uses the same locking lugs from the gen 3 & 4 glock 19.

That looks like a gen 5.17 frame with gen 5.19 slide

• 2 weeks later...

I overheard a conversation between an IDPA member and someone from the Tiger Team years ago. So take it for what it’s worth. 

When asked about comps, they said they didn’t permit them because of the stage description required shots to be made from retention, depending on the comp/porting, it could blow hot gassed/debris into the shooter’s eyes.

How true this comment is/was, is beyond me. It may have just been old guard mentality. But it stuck with me. I love the idea of porting a gun that I would carry but have always been concerned about the hot gasses and/or debris that may be blown up into my face if I had to shoot from retention. 

26 minutes ago, Mayonaise said:

We're already there.

You are probably right. Because it does not even remotely resemble, anything that it did in 96 when I started shooting it.

Edited by usmc1974

Carry comps were briefly popular in the early 1990s.  They died out because of the risks (retention shooting, etc) outweighed the advantages (minimally faster follow-up shots).   The IDPA founders knew about them back then.  What that means for today is anyone's guess.