Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open/Production Uspsa Nationals - 2006

This is from James Broom. It was posted in the training class thread for Open Nationals.

"You can ship your ammo to USSA at the office address listed on the class entry form (1632 Denver Ave Tulsa, OK 74119) on the website. We will secure it here at the office until shortly before the class/nationals then take it to the range. You will need to show some form of ID to claim ammo.

If you ship your ammo, PLEASE write your last name in large felt pen on the outside of the box since we don't want to open anyone's package. Remember to tell the carrier to label it ORM-D. If you e-mail me (jamesbroom@usshootingacademy.com) to let me know your name and how many packages are coming I will mail you back when they arrive.

This offer to receive ammo shipments is NOT limited to just class participants. If you are coming to the Open/Production Nationals and want to avoid airline hassles with ammo, feel free to send it to USSA before the match. Try to get it on the carrier about two weeks before the match since it has to go ground. We plan to have an area set aside for claiming ammo shipments both before the class and before the match. There is no charge for this service."

I know many hotels accept packages but I am always leery of some idiot freaking out when they see the ORM-D sticker. It seems like a catch 22. If I tell them its ammo it increases the likelihood that they may not accept it. If you send it without prior clearance then somebody freaks at the sticker and bye bye ammo anyway.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if you have no sense of humor please skip the rest of this post:

:rolleyes:

Okay, if Eric Grauffel shows up to shoot this match don't you think it would be appropriate if we gave him a cup to pee in after every stage and tell him it's to test for performance enhancing drugs? :D

Good deal everyone! Thanks for Sandro, Flex and Craig looking into that. That will save me a great deal of trouble and make it a lot easier. I'll tell ya, with the way Eric shoots, we should be testing him for something.

I just got done watching "Wedding Crashers" and this reminds me of the line where John Beckwith (Owen Wilson) says, "I think he's on steriods. It's like trying to cover a f*#^ing racehorse!"

Report from Kim @ HQ is that they're working on it - apparently, they're having file format conversion issues, but they have the stages in hand. I'd expect we'll see them in the next couple of days or so...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little disappointed to see a stage w/ 2 stars on it... Forum member Bryan_W and I were chatting - I think we'd both rather shoot 50 yard standards than that hooey, but... Whatever... (and, no, I have no problems engaging stars... just think they're a bit gimmicky for a major match, personally...).

I noticed there's some things lifted directly from some of the South American matches, and some IPSC style speed shoots (like stage 1...). Good stuff.

What's with the marriage and divorce theme? :D

My end synopsis of the stage descriptions? The match has nothing special in it from a skills standpoint. 366 rounds. A couple of unloaded table starts. A couple of "hands on Xs" starts. Some rearward movement. Lots of "shoot under" stuff. We won't get a feel for difficulty of the targets (distance, no-shoots or hardcover not in the descriptions, etc) until we get there next month. It has the appearance of a fairly wide open match, possibly fairly short range, too... It looks fairly balanced, too, between short, medium, and long courses (at least, for a USPSA match :) ).

I'm not certain what a "Max Trap" is vs. a "Bear Trap"...

Max Traps we've seen at recent Nationals in Barry start with two targets laying on the ground 180 degrees apart. Upon Activation the rear (shoot) target rises to vertical, followed by the front (no-shoot) target. The no-shoot typically leaves only the upper A/B zone visible on the Shoot target. Slow shooters, or ones who yank the gun down while shooting, often drill the rising no-shoot while going for the second A.....

as for stars...i dont see a moving steel target as any more gimmicky than any of the various paper movers we'll have...

edit to delete max trap stuff since lynn seems to have straightened us out...

Edited by driver8M3

Looks like mostly straight-up shooting to me, which I like. A few gimmicks here and there, but no prop-tossing or monkey-motions. The star stage will be annoying to some, but at least they're concentrated on one stage ;)

You'd think they'd make the ring stage start on one knee though..