Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheely grip texture comparisons?

engineerjet

I have the standard texture.  I find it aggressive enough.  Friends call it a cheese grater.  The Aggressive is to much IMO.  I'm not sure the picture of the extra aggressive is correct.  I pulled all of these from the Shooters Connection web site.

Top image is aggressive, then standard, then extra.

Cheely Agressive.jpg

Cheely Standard e2.jpg

Cheely Extra Agressive.jpg

Edited by zzt

I chose the aggressive over the regular. Tried the regular tread grip and it felt off. 

When I got the aggressive I said it would take a while to get used to the aggressive grip. After using it and getting used to it (draws, reloads and weak hand shooting) I definitely made the right choice. Dry fire practice with draws started sanding off some skin. Got used to that too. 

I had my grip Cerakoted and that reduced the sharpness of the points. If I needed the texture reduced I would have used a thicker coating of Cerakote. Future grips for me will be with the aggressive texture. 

I have been running the aggressive for a month. About 4 matches and 3 days a week of dry fire. Most of the bleeding as stopped😆

I like it now, but the first two weeks did suck. Make sure to give your hands a break and don't handle it at all every few days

It is a bit of a commitment to get your hands where they need to be so that you don't subconsciously baby your grip pressure. I did find a few hot spots and ended up taking a small hammer and punch and knocking off a few of the spikes.

Edited by Artemas

Your hands will definitley tear up if you're not use to it. I use KT tape for the spots that have tears and neosporin them before bed.

If you have a local target around you try this taping this over the spots on your hands that get torn, use it for dry fire purposes then utilize then for matches or not, I personalyl don't but you can, they're great. 

https://www.kttape.com/products/kt-tape-original-cotton-grip-tape

I do not understand why some of you are willing to put up with cutting and bleeding.  My standard steel grip does not move in my hands no matter how sweaty they get in the summer.  It doesn't tear them up either.

On 9/28/2022 at 2:40 PM, zzt said:

I do not understand why some of you are willing to put up with cutting and bleeding.  My standard steel grip does not move in my hands no matter how sweaty they get in the summer.  It doesn't tear them up either.

Agreed.  I have a Cheely with his standard texture and it's perfect.  It will shred your shirt, but not your hands.  The last SV I owned had the aggressive micropockets and it was horrible.  I dreaded drawing the gun and when my hands got sweaty/soft it ripped right on through the skin.

On 10/1/2022 at 9:58 AM, donnyglock said:

You all must have some girly hands. Lol. That said I have some customers that like the look of the aggressive better but want it not so sharp. For them I take the tits down just a bit. Works like a charm. 

Do “soften” the  Aggressive or Extra Aggressive? Hwansik Kim on another forum said that it was to hard to shift his hand on the Aggressive grip if needed. That said, I like the feel of 20lpi checkering on front strap and mainspring housing. Do you bead blast the Aggressive grip to “soften” it?

Thanks for the information.

1 hour ago, cbrussell said:

Do “soften” the  Aggressive or Extra Aggressive? Hwansik Kim on another forum said that it was to hard to shift his hand on the Aggressive grip if needed. That said, I like the feel of 20lpi checkering on front strap and mainspring housing. Do you bead blast the Aggressive grip to “soften” it?

Thanks for the information.

I use emery until it feels right. 

I confirmed with cheely that the pictures for the aggressive and extra aggressive are the exact same picture. Then it was described that extra aggressive will collect blood so if you're unsure, then extra aggressive is definitely not for you. Good to know.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an aggressive titanium PT that’s being fitted to my P. I ordered the standard texture. But they accidentally made it aggressive. To make up for it, they sent me a free aluminum one. 
I have a vehicle combatives class mid November and want to run the staccato. But I need to prep my hands. Unfortunately the grip and gun are going to be arriving just a couple days prior to the course. So I need to find a way to simulate the aggressive texture.

https://imgur.com/gallery/tTr0EhT

On 10/22/2022 at 11:04 PM, attakmint said: Or is it like a PT aggressive is a Cheely extra aggressive?

This is they way it was explained to me. But I can’t confirm since I’ve only held the PT. But I can say the PT aggressive is about as aggressive as I would think is possible. Feels like you’re right on the border of too much.