Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The One Thing

Luke Fay

For me it would have to be a reloading press. The ability to make lots of accurate, reliable, low recoiling ammo gave me the ability to shoot more often and shoot different disciplines. All that added up to more range time and hence improvement in my shooting.

I don't know about anybody else, but it's been my experience that equipment has little significant impact on a shooter's improvement. Sure the top dogs have nice gear, but that's more because it makes things easier for them and they don't mind the expense. The top guys are also very dedicated people who have a lot invested in this game, personally and financially, so fancy gear is a little way of rewarding themselves. But I see guys at my local club who change guns more often than some people change underwear, but their scores never change. Always consistently at the bottom of the list.

New guys tend to look at the top guys and see nice stuff and figure a new Blast-o-matic 9000 with Tactikool mount with Lazer confoundinator is the way to go. Half of that is the desire to buy a new gun, and who isn't guilty of that! But the other half, the desire to improve part, is kind of like the old racing saw about Ferraris. Ferraris are red, but being colored red isn't what makes them fast. Paint a school bus red and take it to the track and find out. Top shooters have nice gear, but that's not what makes them top shooters. Give the top guys gear to a bottom of the list guy and see what happens.

That's not to say that equipment can't be a hinderance. Trying to be competitive with the wrong gear will absolutely hold someone back. There's a new shooter at my local club who bought his gun before he starting shooting competitively. He bought his gun for defense as well as fun. Unfortunately he bought a plastic gun in .45 ACP. The gun maker specifies that lead should not be shot in the gun, and the guy doesn't have a reloading press, so he's shooting Wally World factory ball (read: 825-850 fps 230 gr. loads, 195 power factor :o !) in a fairly light gun. Besides the expense of buying factory ammo he's developing a flinch in response to the recoil.

But this guy has the most important piece of equipment a shooter needs: Desire. Desire to improve, desire to learn how to shoot, the ability to ask good questions and to listen to the answers. Not listen until he hears what he wants, but actually listen to people who have been to more matches and have more experience. I've seen shooters with these qualities before and they all end up in the same place: at the top of the results, winning the entry fees from the guy shooting the gun of the week, even though the gun of the week guy has been shooting for far longer than the other guy.

Edited by R112mercer

After basics are down I would agree with RGS that it is between your ears. In Saul Kirsch's latest book: Thinking Practical Shooting most think that the mental game is the most important but few practice or train on their mental game. Saul's book is a good one.

Rick

You can take a NRA highpower shooter approach. You get the best gun, equipment, and ammo for you needs, and you can afford. Then the only varible is you the shooter and how much practice are you willing to put into getting better.

You are almost better off getting all the good equipment when you start, otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of junk in the corner of your garage.

<_< The biggest thing for me is the people that represent the sport. I've been shooting for a year now. I was talked into puttig my bottom feeder in the drawer. Then the people from several clubs in Area 1 mentored me, or tormented me. All good natured fun but trying to help me help myself. The guns, gear, ammo, etc. were a follow-on to the personal help I received. I think I've improved faster because of the help, and really enjoy it more because of the people.

:)

One of the "things" was my friends that shot with me. We would push each other in practice and in a match. The friendly competition helped all of us to improve and get over the next "impossible" barrier, because if Gene or Phil could do it by damn I could too. We would share information, loads, techniques, drills or what ever helped. You can get as good as your competition helps you get. :ph34r:

Sportsman's Team Challenge event made the bigest influence.

With three person teams, it puts you with two others that depend on you to shoot near your best. You have more than just your self to shoot for and part of the time you get a chance to do more than your share when you are having a good day and on not so good day hopefully your buddies will help.

Having good friends to share the ups and downs is a great thing. At the National event I have had my best day of the year and my worst day of the year some times on the same day.

The biggest improvement came to my shooting, when I quit blaming poor performance on 60+ year old eyes. Admitting that when I didn't hit the target, the problem was trigger pull, which I could control, and not eye sight which I couldn't control. Try wearing a Smith and Wesson out dry firing you will not be sorry!!

The most significant improvement in my shooting game arrived in a single day-long instant when I saw unmoving ripples on the lake and realized that even the clearest piece of glass distorts the fact that we must each choose only once between bamboo and wicker before the sparrow begins its song of deception........

(just kidding......I want the zen dudes to think I'm really cool.....) ;)

My real answer? Watching the front sight.

Howdy,

the biggest thing was coming in from the woods, joining the local gun club, and shooting matches. I have found many things to learn just by listening and watching.

The second thing was finding a forum like this to find out about others' experiences.

Last, was being open-minded to try any and every thing I learned about to see if I liked it or not.

y'all be cool

Grey

...and I bought The Book too...

Carmoney, you're incorrigible, I was all set for some fantastic ZEN insight. Instead choked on my breakfast.

The biggest thing isn't the same as the "turning point".

But, for me it was deciding to accept compliments of a stage run with a "Thank You", instead of feeling embarrassed or trying to make light of it. It was the key point in WORKING on my Mental Game. Which is where all matches are won.

There are a hundred ways to lose, but only one way to win and it's all mental.

I just joined an IPSC club this fall and look forward to shooting there. My son and I have been shooting IDPA for the last 3 years. I just got this back from Randy at Apex - I hope it helps me. Very different than my old 686. Chris

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/album/00...03/IMG_1579.JPG

This was the doner.

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/album/00...03/IMG_1524.JPG

Edited by festus1

I just joined an IPSC club this fall and look forward to shooting there. My son and I have been shooting IDPA for the last 3 years. I just got this back from Randy at Apex - I hope it helps me. Very different than my old 686. Chris

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/album/00...03/IMG_1579.JPG

This was the doner.

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/album/00...03/IMG_1524.JPG

Wow, Deja vu! I could swear I've seen that gun before! :D

A question,

What one thing, be it skill, gear, ammo, grip, girlfriend....ect that has made the most dramatic change in your shooting?

It goes without saying that different people respond differently to "things", and I surely wish there was one [big] thing (or several smaller things) I could implement or pass along to advance in shooting.

There are so many things that stand out as I have played the game, not the least of which was going to the 05 Nationals and having the priviledge of shooting with the finest squad in The World.

But on the whole, in looking at where I have been and where I am (such as it is) I would have to say that taking the RO classes and earning and maintaining certification has done the most to help me understand The Game.

This post would be way too long to detail the finer points, but in my view if you ever hope to be all you can be in the sport, you need to go to the classes taught by the leaders of the sport and find a way to work not only the local club matches but some of the bigger matches as well.

Working the big matches is key. The stages are set up correctly and you can learn what that means. The diamonds are found by seeing the same stage run 300 times by the full sectrum of talent from the newest "D" shooter up to [insert your idol's name here]. It is grueling and sometimes thankless work, but it's the cheapest education money can't buy; and it's not just about the shooting.

B)