Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver, Fiber Optic sights front and rear?..

mikeAZ

All mine have front and rear. I have orange front and green rear. I have a hard time seeing black sights on a dark target or background or in low light. I still use the black metal part to aim with, the fibers just help me keep track of where the sights are in relation to each other from the draw and between shots/targets. Sometimes I might use the dots to aim if going fast up close, but usually at 10 yards or more, I will use the notch & post for better shot placement. Many people do fine with all black sights. I'm not one of them.

Edited by Toolguy

You may know something I don't, but a rear sight does not need to be clear. Mine wasn't at 30yrs. old, and is very fuzzy in my middle age now.

What sucks is when the front sight is not really clear anymore. and I'm getting there.

Edited by JD45

On 6/18/2022 at 7:17 PM, JD45 said:

You may know something I don't, but a rear sight does not need to be clear. Mine wasn't at 30yrs. old, and is very fuzzy in my middle age now.

What sucks is when the front sight is not really clear anymore. and I'm getting there.

Some young folks at the very pointy end of our sport are advocating for shooting irons with a hard target focus and blurry sights. I don't know that I'm doing that yet, but I'm accepting a blurrier sight picture and it's not hurting my scores. When you focus on the target, it helps you pick an aiming point faster and it does help speed up transitions.

14 minutes ago, PatJones said:

Some young folks at the very pointy end of our sport are advocating for shooting irons with a hard target focus and blurry sights. I don't know that I'm doing that yet, but I'm accepting a blurrier sight picture and it's not hurting my scores. When you focus on the target, it helps you pick an aiming point faster and it does help speed up transitions.

I have tried it both ways. I’m a senior shooter with bad astigmatism. Pre-red dot, I used no correction as I’m blessed that with sights at the end of my outstretched arms are clear (but nothing else). I’ve joined the cool kids in CO for USPSA and started wearing my prescription and became very target focused. When I now shoot irons (revolver in ICORE), I wear correction and accept blurry sights. Like stated above, target focus helps with transitioning- at least for me.

I sight in and practice with my EDC and my everyday glasses.  Don't expect much past 15 yds.  The POI changes between my normal glasses and my shooting glasses though.

At 15 yards and under I don't really see much difference, unless I'm trying for A's in the head, but 25 yds and longer it seems to make a difference.

The bigger difference between the two though is the lack of consistency.  With my regular prescription the lighting/shadows change more drastically.

This winter might even try target focus at longer ranges?  

Though everytime I miss a steel target, it's because I was looking right at the spot I wanted to hit?  

Edited by pskys2

There are at least three different kinds of focus that come up for me:

1. Ocular accommodation, the distance where my eyes converge, which controls what I see singly and what I see in double vision.

2. Optical focus, what's clear and what's blurry.

3. Perceptual focus, which is a bit harder to explain. If you focus on a wall across the room, and hold up a finger at arm's length in front of your dominant eye, it's possible to look through your finger, so you see a ghostly outline, or look at your finger, so you see a solid finger in front of the wall, without changing accommodation or optical focus.

When I'm shooting, my eyes are accommodated to the distance of the target, so I see one target, and my perceptual focus is on the front sight, so I see solid sights over the target. My optical focus seems to vary based on the difficulty of the target. The harder the shot, the more my optical focus comes back to the front sight. The easier the shooting, the more it's on the targets.

On 6/17/2022 at 5:56 PM, PatJones said:

Red fiber front/ black rear. Fiber in the rear is distracting and slower.

YES.  I discovered this the hard way.  Early on I copied another shooter we were friends with so I went fiber rear.  He's been c class for decades so looking back I should have know better.

With irons I always had a half opaque patch over my left eye.