Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Racking a slide using the optic

I recently switched to racking with my SRO and prefer it. In the last 3 months I changed to Tanfo (from a 320 and 1911 before that) so that has a decent amount to do with it as I found my previous technique of pinching the front serrations between the web of my support thumb and index finger not as consistent on a CZ type platform. I use the entire part of my palm below the pinky to just slap the optic towards the rear. One additional benefit is that I don't have to cant the gun over to access the front serrations and can just leave it vertical after the mag is in which feels more natural. Otherwise to use the front serrations the gun is first canted one direction for the load, then to the other side for the rack, and then back to vertical to build the grip and be ready to fire

many videos of shooters racking this way - and I've seen it a couple times at matches - I personally don't rack my slide that way but really no harm in it - optic should be secured firmly anyway

• 1 month later...

I never liked the idea of using my optic to rack the slide. It just doesn’t seem right. I use the front serrations. 
But, I’m sure that in “panic” portion of a stage where things are coming off the rails I’d use whatever I thought would get me through it. 

I have a funny story about this exact topic

i have always racked with the dot when i used a slide mounted dot

a buddy recently got a sweet infinity and was showing me his front slide serrations and i just said why not use the optic

you could tell it didnt even occur to him that to be an option 

these particular firearms are our tools

stuff is going to break

my two cents

• 1 month later...

I do it pretty frequently, especially on fast reloads. I'll also rack the optic on my holster for one handed reloads.  Never lost a zero or ripped an optic off.

I don't make it a point to slam my $500 optic into things, but I also don't baby them.

On 5/15/2023 at 8:03 AM, Cuz said:

I never liked the idea of using my optic to rack the slide. It just doesn’t seem right. I use the front serrations. 
But, I’m sure that in “panic” portion of a stage where things are coming off the rails I’d use whatever I thought would get me through it. 

so, I tried it last month while practicing an unloaded barrel start and it was MUCH faster using the dot over the front serrations to rack the gun. I also didn’t have to worry about accidentally sweeping my hand while grabbing the slide. I doubt I’ll do it all the time, but I will certainly give it more consideration. 

On 6/18/2022 at 1:42 AM, Kiwishoot said:

Mine is an SP01 and yes, racking off the optic is fine as long as you watch where your hands are going.

If your fingers are chubby little nuggets covered in grease... then yeah, nah.

sp01_co.jpg

What brand optic mount do you have? Any problems with it? 

all depends on how you train. if you have a quality mount and a quality optic, then go for it. If you train to not use the optic, then thats the way to do it. All muscle memory and training. 

Have you tested to see if its faster to do it that way? 

46 minutes ago, 99mpower said:

Have you tested to see if its faster to do it that way? 

for me it was faster grabbing the optic. Kind of like having a slide racket on an open gun.