Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Activators and Swingers

Triggerslapper999

dry fire I do them mentally, just doing perfect mental imagery of it. then it is easy to get tons of good reps.

dry fire i also watch videos on youtube that have them and dry fire them that way. search on yt 'ipsc dry fire powerpoint'

dry fire a friend built a pvc one for 1/3 scale dry fire target. they also make small ones for airsoft.

live fire i bought the cheapest metal one i could find on the internet at the time, nevco. it was less than 200 bucks then.

live fire i belonged to a club and asked to use it, and did.

live fire i asked a match to leave it up after the match so i could get like 15 minutes of reps with it, and then i put the stage away myself.

live fire i recently had a local steel target company make me one. i use it when i teach competition classes and the students love it.

• 2 weeks later...

dry fire i also watch videos on youtube that have them and dry fire them that way. search on yt 'ipsc dry fire powerpoint'

I just started doing this at home. Works pretty well.

As for live fire, currently I am at will of the local clubs having them in matches. I don't own a swinger and don't have access to an open range or land to shoot one, even if I did own one.

• 2 weeks later...

There are dry fire swinger targets available. Miniature, about 8 inches, connected to a small metal pendulum and a pull cord for activation.  It has suction cups to attach the target to a window or flat surface. Search for "dry fire swinger targets" and you'll see what they look like.  A little hokey but it does give you the experience of timing the shots.

8 hours ago, bludog said:

There are dry fire swinger targets available. Miniature, about 8 inches, connected to a small metal pendulum and a pull cord for activation.  It has suction cups to attach the target to a window or flat surface. Search for "dry fire swinger targets" and you'll see what they look like.  A little hokey but it does give you the experience of timing the shots.

Correct, I personally use the DAA dry fire targets, incl. the swinger: https://www.doublealpha.biz/dry-fire-targets

• 2 weeks later...

Second here for the Gofastdontsuck dry fire targets and supplies.  I would think that someone has figured out how to DIY some of your own props using household materials.  A drop swinger or max trap would be neat too.  

On 7/2/2022 at 10:14 AM, Dr_Z said:

I use the Gofastdontsuck dry fire swinger, nice stuff and allows for different configurations. https://gofastdontsuck.net/swag-store/Dry-Fire-Swinger-p297344406

I have one of these, I use the table stand and take it with me to dry fire in hotels the night before majors. 

I also have a small one for live fire. I think it was Bulls eye swinger. It's easy to setup. I'm really comfortable with swingers now. 

Edited by Racinready300ex

I am no longer in the business of making targets, but if there is a handy, enterprising individual out there, feel free to borrow my design.  Here is a video one of my customers did years ago:  

https://youtu.be/i0L2FL0XTCI

Back then, my idea was to make everything foldable, so you can just keep your shooting stuff in your car’s trunk.  Yes, that is black gas pipe, threaded on both ends .

If you want to go to the range right after work, the stuff is already in your trunk (versus other swingers that are completely welded up that require a pick up truck bed to carry).  

On 7/14/2022 at 4:40 PM, Chills1994 said:

I am no longer in the business of making targets, but if there is a handy, enterprising individual out there, feel free to borrow my design.  Here is a video one of my customers did years ago:  

https://youtu.be/i0L2FL0XTCI

Back then, my idea was to make everything foldable, so you can just keep your shooting stuff in your car’s trunk.  Yes, that is black gas pipe, threaded on both ends .

If you want to go to the range right after work, the stuff is already in your trunk (versus other swingers that are completely welded up that require a pick up truck bed to carry).  

excellent design sir. Do you need specific stick length such that the entire thing won't lose balance after the activation? 

• 2 months later...

I hope this resonates with you as it did with me. 

“ambush the target at the change of direction” 

instead of trying to track or trap it, well you kinda are trapping it by staying in a specific spot but once you think about the change of direction other than seeing it, take the shot. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 9:09 AM, mule169 said:

I hope this resonates with you as it did with me. 

“ambush the target at the change of direction” 

instead of trying to track or trap it, well you kinda are trapping it by staying in a specific spot but once you think about the change of direction other than seeing it, take the shot. 

While shooting a swinger at the point it changes direction is ideal, it's not always possible.  Some swinger presentations don't allow it as the ends of the swing are hidden, usually by barrels.  You gotta know how to ambush it and how to track it at any point in its path.

• 5 weeks later...

I also have a gfds swinger for dryfire. In live fire I think it’s necessary to practice shooting a swinger using both the trap and follow methods as some moving targets are only able to be shot properly using one of the methods. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Best advice:

Join the closest club that shoots uspsa. Become active in matches ,help setup, talk to match director about organizing  practice sessions for club members that help. This what we do .get to practice swingers, Drop turners,max traps,Texas stars,ect.  A great way to get extra help and practice also drink a few beers afterwards.