Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P

Patrick Sweeney

IPSC competition requires at the end of a course of fire the competitor will unload , show clear and drop the hammer/striker on an empty chamber. No snap caps allowed no soft release allowed.

Any gun that can't stand this test for years of competition won't make it.

+10

I've talked with Ernie as well and he said the same thing about having that number of rounds through his 40 - I haven't heard of a single striker failure in live fire - it's all been in dry fire up to this point and Kevin is correct...snap caps will fix that worry.

Let's see, Ernie works for S&W.......has access to quality and failure data.....has the custom shop on standby to work on his pistol.......I'm sure he didn't have any problems.

Edited by Singlestack Wonder

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IPSC competition requires at the end of a course of fire the competitor will unload , show clear and drop the hammer/striker on an empty chamber. No snap caps allowed no soft release allowed.

Any gun that can't stand this test for years of competition won't make it.

JFS

I mean FOR PRACTICE DRY FIRE!!!

how many times do you Unload & Show Clear in a match??

I Dry fire 400-500 Times in one day in normal practice!!

I doubt the M&P FP would Break with a 8 Stage match doing U&SC during matches!!

FYI, I have seen 1911 FP's of all brands break due to extensive Dry Fire. They "ALL" Break!! I have Dry-Fired the heck out of mine since September, it's still going strong.

If it breaks, I'll be honest enough and I'll post it here, but so fat it's still going on strong, Tomorrow morning, I'll be at my buddy's farm chronoing some new ammo we are loading for our M&P's

Y

Let's see, Ernie works for S&W.......has access to quality and failure data.....has the custom shop on standby to work on his pistol.......I'm sure he didn't have any problems.

I don't have any of that and my Guns is been working in perfect order since September!! But this is only since September. I can't tell you it's going to have the same longevity as my old G17, that was made in August of 1989!! One has over 17 years of Use & Abuse (with every small part except for the Firing Pin and Extractor just recently Replaced) and my 4 month old M&P9!! In all honesty I can't compare these 2 pistols!!

I have a great solution for those who dislike the M&P.... Don't buy one!! Let us that have a good working M&P enjoy our pistols without the constant Bashing.

BTW, I have a quick question?? Have you guys ever tried shooting an M&P??

Just asking, because I can't tell the effectiveness or reliability of any firearm without first trying it first hand!! I never trust other peoples testing, because my personal tastes influence how I perceive recoil and other factors.

I can't tell the long tern reliability of the M&P because it's a fairly new pistol!! We now know that the Glock is very reliable and long lasting, because we have 20 years of Empirical Testing!! But I still remember the warnings of Doom and Gloom back in 1986 when everybody out there in the gun world thought that Glocks were going to Blow Up in a month of recreational shooting. Those Prophets of Doom, are now Glock Users!! how things change in 20 years eh??

Y

Edited by ysued

"I've talked with Ernie as well and he said the same thing about having that number of rounds through his 40 - I haven't heard of a single striker failure in live fire - it's all been in dry fire up to this point and Kevin is correct...snap caps will fix that worry."

"Let's see, Ernie works for S&W.......has access to quality and failure data.....has the custom shop on standby to work on his pistol.......I'm sure he didn't have any problems."

SSWonder,

I guess you dont know Ernie b/c he is not like that. Ernie is one of the most stand up, honest, respectable people Ive ever met and when its not right, he'll say it, regardless of who's product it is. He'll call it what it is and that is the price you pay when you get him.

And guys, you cant compare dry firing the trigger a few times in match when unloading and showing clear to dry fire practice. One is going to be done 50,000 + times, the other will take decades to get there. That wasnt even close.

Edited by Kevin Kline

SSWonder,

I guess you dont know Ernie b/c he is not like that. Ernie is one of the most stand up, honest, respectable people Ive ever met and when its not right, he'll say it, regardless of who's product it is. He'll call it what it is and that is the price you pay when you get him.

And guys, you cant compare dry firing the trigger a few times in match when unloading and showing clear to dry fire practice. One is going to be done 50,000 + times, the other will take decades to get there. That wasnt even close.

+1 on Ernie!!

I met him back in 1996 at the first IDPA Invitational here in Columbia. He's a very stand up guy and implications of dishonesty are not only uncalled for, but they are rude and unfair!!

Y

Called S&W on Jan. 5th. The service rep. said he would drop a new striker in the mail that day.

It arrived in the mail today. A complete striker assy.

The M&P is back in business.

I could not see a difference in the two strikers but the rep assured me at the time that he was shipping the new version.

ysued,

I fired over 15k rounds last year. At least 10k rounds in practice.

Since I shoot production my practice strings are generally no more than 10 rounds. That means I did at least 1000, unload, clear and drop the striker in practice. I shot four matches a month for 8 months. Figure four stages a match and about another 6 draw and snap in the safe area. ( No snap caps or dummy rounds here) So I figure 10 dry fires a match times 32 matches a year. About anpther 320 dry fires.

This app. 1300 unavoidable dry fires a year. And your right this doesn't include the 200 or 300 dry fires that some may do in a week of dry fire practice where they can utilize a snap cap.

I am not a S&W basher, actually I am impressed with their follow up on my problem. I hope everyone else has a satisifying results.

I have replaced parts in SVI's, Para Ordnance, Colts and Glocks. Its expected in guns that fire a lot of rounds.

To me the key is identify the problem and fix it once and for all .

JFS

I have a feeling that the problem has been identified and fixed!!

A company with S&W's reputation can't ignore a problem, minor or major!!

Y

Called S&W on Jan. 5th. The service rep. said he would drop a new striker in the mail that day.

I could not see a difference in the two strikers but the rep assured me at the time that he was shipping the new version.

ysued,

I fired over 15k rounds last year. At least 10k rounds in practice.

Since I shoot production my practice strings are generally no more than 10 rounds. That means I did at least 1000, unload, clear and drop the striker in practice. I shot four matches a month for 8 months. Figure four stages a match and about another 6 draw and snap in the safe area. ( No snap caps or dummy rounds here) So I figure 10 dry fires a match times 32 matches a year. About anpther 320 dry fires.

This app. 1300 unavoidable dry fires a year. And your right this doesn't include the 200 or 300 dry fires that some may do in a week of dry fire practice where they can utilize a snap cap.

I am not a S&W basher, actually I am impressed with their follow up on my problem. I hope everyone else has a satisifying results.

I have replaced parts in SVI's, Para Ordnance, Colts and Glocks. Its expected in guns that fire a lot of rounds.

To me the key is identify the problem and fix it once and for all .

JFS

Where is a good place to find an M&P for a good price all the local dealers want in excess of 500 but I have heard of some for as low as 399, but then you add shipping and my ffl charges 25 is it worth buying them online or should I just buy it at the local dealers. I am all for supporting local business' esp. if they are a guns and ammo selling business

I asked Ernest about a 5" version a couple of weeks ago. He sort of chuckled and said no, not at this time.

Not to hijack this thread but I have a concern about the accuracy. I picked up my M&P9 last week, sandbagged at 25 yards the best I could get were 4" 5 shot groups. Most were around 5". I had my Baretta 92 and was using it to compare to. The 92 was getting 2" groups. Same ammo, same sandbags, same everything.

4" at 25 sandbagged would make a plate rack offhand pretty hard. I read somewhere S&W says 4" on their accuracy standard but is that what everybody else is getting? The gun is bone stock with the 6lb trigger.

Mickster,

I havent bagged or rested my duty MP40 or MP9, but have shot both freestyle at plate racks at 25 yards and had no problems whatsoever, at least when I dont hose and do my part. For slowing down and concentrating, I'll knock them off as easily as anything else.

I shot my MP9 from 45 yards the other day (freestyle) and had all my hits in the A zone with only 1 C.

Where is a good place to find an M&P for a good price all the local dealers want in excess of 500 but I have heard of some for as low as 399, but then you add shipping and my ffl charges 25 is it worth buying them online or should I just buy it at the local dealers. I am all for supporting local business' esp. if they are a guns and ammo selling business

http://www.budsgunshop.com/

Buds Gun Shop is the outfit selling them for $399, they used to be $369!!

I know how you feel, I like to support the local economy, but not when they want to bend you over!!

I have seen some great local dealers, that stand behind you every step of the way, some others are just sitting and waiting to rip you off!!

I buy ammo where I can get it the cheapest!!!

Y

What caliber? Most of the problems I've heard of are with the 40. I've put about 2000 rounds through my 9mm SN MPH**** with lots of dry fire. No problems yet. But I think I'll have to get hold of an extra striker just in case.

Well I didn't get an extra in time. Mine broke today while dry firing.

Second striker broke tonight during a dry fire session. This time I have been using a snap cap. This time only the tip of the striker, the part that actually goes through the FP hole, broke and stayed in the FP hole.

The striker was only in 3 or 4 days. And not a heavy dry fire schedule.

I suspect I did not get one of the new improved strikers.

JFS

Second striker broke tonight during a dry fire session. This time I have been using a snap cap. This time only the tip of the striker, the part that actually goes through the FP hole, broke and stayed in the FP hole.

The striker was only in 3 or 4 days. And not a heavy dry fire schedule.

I suspect I did not get one of the new improved strikers.

JFS

That is so weird!!

I'm at SHOT, I'll ask one of the S&W Gunsmiths in the AM!!

Re: strikers, you may remember "a long time ago" when various aftermarket and (IIRC - its been a while) one or two models of factory Glock strikers were breaking under hard use - typically, the tips came off. Minor redesigns corrected them (and materials changes in some cases, where titanium was used...). Minor stress risers in the design, etc, can have a major effect on such small parts - cracks can develop easily in hard corners...

I would expect that S&W will correct this issue relatively quickly, and that'll be the end of it. You guys shooting them now have to realize you're somewhat on the leading edge with these guns - they're essentially unproven for longevity, at this point. If you're on the edge, you're gonna bleed ;)

A little patience will go a long way - and calm, non-dramatic feedback to S&W will help a bunch, as well, I'm sure, so that they understand the magnitude of the issue (though, I think they're probably already pretty aware of what's going on...).

ETA "Glock" above... d'oh

Edited by XRe