Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P

Patrick Sweeney

Thanks Dan!

Did I read that complete factory recoil spring assemblies are less than $7? From whom? Oddly, Brownells sell everying for the M&P *but* the recoil spring assembly. For $7, I'd just as soon use a factory part.

Also, I read early on that people had a hell of a time releasing the slide stops and that there was a "standard" and an "extended" version. I noticed Brownells sells only one version. My M&P has a slide release with a small "bump" and is very easy to release. Does this mean that S&W is selling the extended slide release only now?

Thanks!

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I am pretty sure the "standard" one was discontinued before brownells started carrying the parts.

You can only get the recoil spring assemblies from Smith right now I am sure Jester over at the M&P pistol store will have some soon.

Eric if you haven't checked out the M&P forums you should, as there is a boat load of info on the M&P there.

Quick question: How do you remove the spring from the captured guide rod? Unscrew the end like a G____ captured rod? Are the recoil springs interchangeable with G____? And...does anybody know what the stock spring weight is?

Thanks!

There is no way to disassemble the factory guide rod without destroying it, the retainer plug is knurled and pressed in. I expect our captured guide rod to be ready next week, you will be able to change the spring on it. We have the ISMI springs made for the M&P but the Glock springs will work from what I've heard, according to ISMI the stock spring is 15#.

There is no way to disassemble the factory guide rod without destroying it, the retainer plug is knurled and pressed in. I expect our captured guide rod to be ready next week, you will be able to change the spring on it. We have the ISMI springs made for the M&P but the Glock springs will work from what I've heard, according to ISMI the stock spring is 15#.

Ken,

Put me in for a couple of captured Guide Rods :D:D

PM me when they're ready!!

Y

I use a Glock 17 Wolff guide rod in my two M&P9s with a Wolff 15lb Glock recoil spring.

Yep, I'm currently using a Wolf steel GR for the Glock and a 12# spring. It works fine, except that the 12# spring seemed too light. I may try a 15# spring.

Over on the M&P forums, the word from S&W is that the factory recoil spring is 10#. That seem impossible to me. The stock spring seems MUCH heavier than my Wolf 11# and my 13# ISMI spring. I'd guess it's 16-18#.

Edited by chp5

I just bought a couple M&Ps (one in 9mm and .40) and just from handlling them I am very impressed. Seems Smith and Wesson has hit it with this pistol. I am looking forward to getting my M&Ps to the range some time this week.

I do have a couple of questions though, and thought maybe some of you would have the answers or know which direction to steer me to get them. Here are my questions.

1. How is the zero with the Novak sights that come on the pistol? Do the pistols shoot to the sights or is a little adjustment necessary? I will probably start out shooting 115gr WWB in the 9mm and various factory loadings of 165 and 180gr loads in the .40.

2. While I am on the subject of sights, I have read Warren Tactical is working on a set of sights for the M&Ps. Anyone have an idea when those are due to be released? Is anyone working on a set of adjustable sights for them? (Dawson maybe?)

3. The 9mm I purchased has the magazine safety while the .40 does not. I noticed through dry firing them a bit that the 9mm trigger with the magazine safety seems to be "grittier" than the .40 without the magazine safety. In your experience is the "grittier" feel of the trigger in the pistol with the magazine safety due to the safety, and can it be remedied by taking out the magazine safety using the method described by Dan Burwell. If I sent my pistols to Burwell could he eliminate the "grittiness" all together.

I know...a lot of questions. But I figured this would be a good place to ask them since it seems the people on this forum have more experience with these pistols than anyone I have run into locally.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I just bought a couple M&Ps (one in 9mm and .40) and just from handlling them I am very impressed. Seems Smith and Wesson has hit it with this pistol. I am looking forward to getting my M&Ps to the range some time this week.

I do have a couple of questions though, and thought maybe some of you would have the answers or know which direction to steer me to get them. Here are my questions.

1. How is the zero with the Novak sights that come on the pistol? Do the pistols shoot to the sights or is a little adjustment necessary? I will probably start out shooting 115gr WWB in the 9mm and various factory loadings of 165 and 180gr loads in the .40.

2. While I am on the subject of sights, I have read Warren Tactical is working on a set of sights for the M&Ps. Anyone have an idea when those are due to be released? Is anyone working on a set of adjustable sights for them? (Dawson maybe?)

3. The 9mm I purchased has the magazine safety while the .40 does not. I noticed through dry firing them a bit that the 9mm trigger with the magazine safety seems to be "grittier" than the .40 without the magazine safety. In your experience is the "grittier" feel of the trigger in the pistol with the magazine safety due to the safety, and can it be remedied by taking out the magazine safety using the method described by Dan Burwell. If I sent my pistols to Burwell could he eliminate the "grittiness" all together.

I know...a lot of questions. But I figured this would be a good place to ask them since it seems the people on this forum have more experience with these pistols than anyone I have run into locally.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

The magazine safety does NOT effect the trigger pull in any way. The trigger system is quite easy to work over yourself if you like doing those type things.

I have one of Dan's fixed sights on mine and like it.

While I have never felt one of Dan's trigger jobs. I have heard nothing but positive things about them.

Edited by DMiculek

The Warren sights aren't available yet but should be real soon. Dan has the first version if his rear sight available with the revision due out any time now, non-adjustable but they look really good. Dawson has their sights available in different configurations but IIRC the rear is fixed also, we've ordered all of their M&P stuff and should be here next week. If you want an adjustable rear I've found that the LPA for a 5906 will fit and work but the dovetail cuts are not the same, there is a small gap in between the sight and the frame in the dovetail. Also, it doesn't completely cover the plunger as it's not quite as wide as the factory sight. Other than that it works great.

Both of my 9mm's were Point of Aim right off the Box!!

Warren Sights are coming, Dan Burwell's are out and working on the second version and I heard Dawson has his out too but they are not listed on his Web Site.

If you send your guns to Dan, You will not believe the Trigger feel when you get them back!!

He's done both of my M&P's, I haven't felt the second one, this gun is buried in Snow at the Fedex Station, but I'll get it on Monday, but the first one he did is just plain awesome. You can have dan take out the magazine disconnect at the time he does the Trigger Job too.

Edited by ysued

well took a trip up to my freinds house and shot my new M&P today.. Well let's just say i'm not dissapointed. Shot pretty much Point of aim, although i didn't bench it. Used WWB today and had no issue's what so ever. All shooting done at 15yds.

After shooting a glock though this will take some getting used to, it points like my 1911 and the grip is thinner then my glock, does houge make a sleeve for it ?. I did notice that i was pulling shots to the right pretty consistently and that's all me and getting used to the trigger, i'm left handed by the way. I must say i may want to lighten the trigger up a bit but i'll shoot it more before i make any changes..

Found out another interesting issue this morning.. The dang sights were blurry.. :blink: uh oh... so i took off my perscription glasses and put on my standard safety glasses and was all better, although then the targets at 15 yards were just a bit out of focus :blink:

Hopefully i won't have to get into the bifocal thing come the new shooting season and interestingly enough it really made me concentrate more on the front sight.. have to see what happens with a mini popper or plate at 20+..

So for first impressions, recoil very managable, actually liked the sights, trigger will take some getting used to and LOVED HOW IT RELOADED... man i really like how easy it is to get a new mag in.. MUCH nicer then my glock without the magwell on.

Jeff

Edited by Mousekiller

All in all, I like the MP better than anything else out there, except my CZ's. If I didnt love my CZ's as much as I do, Id be shooting the MP in Prod.

My dept is transitioning to them and I've been teaching a lot getting the transition (gun and holster) done. Gotta say, though, I shoot the MP ALOT better than my Glocks. Immediately, the grip and feel are great and it shoots very well, very accurate, handles recoil easily.

Personally, I like the stock trigger the way it is. The break is not bad at all and you can prep it pretty fast for follow up shots.

Personally, I like the stock trigger the way it is. The break is not bad at all and you can prep it pretty fast for follow up shots.

For a carry guns, the Trigger is Excellent!!

I have shot it in Competition with the Standard Trigger, but I must say that having a Clean & Crisp Trigger job makes is a whole lot easier to shoot :lol:

Dan's Trigger jobs are just Awesome, and the Prices are not too bad, your "Standard" 3.5lb Trigger Job is $50.00 http://burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P1.htm

I like the way my M&P's feel now.

I might carry a 40, and I'll leave it stock, but the factory sights will have to go away :blink:

Y

Yesterday I shot my M&P in a match for the first time. I have Dan Burwell’s rear sight, stock front sight and Dan’s 3.5# trigger job.

I felt like I shot less aggressively than usual because I have very few rounds behind the gun and it was my first match with it. I ended up second, shooting 98.3% of a local Production GM. I didn’t shoot with that GM, so I’m not sure whether he had a good match or not.

Reloading the M&P is much easier for me than the Glock. I didn’t bobble a reload all day. Since reloading is a big part of the Production game, I’m sure this helped my score.

Dan’s rear sight is excellent, but I felt slightly handicapped with the fat factory front sight on the longer shots. Long shots are a strength of my game with the Glock, but I struggled with the M&P on the multiple 20+ yard shots we had in the match – shooting several Ds.

Dan’s trigger job makes the M&P comparable to my Glocks and a pleasure to shoot. My factory trigger sucked. Personally, I would not use it for carry or competition with the factory trigger.

The M&P was 100% reliable. Overall, I was pleased with the M&P and plan to shoot it in Production for a while.

You might try Speed Shooters Specialties Fiber Optic Front Sight!!

I had Dan Install one for me and I really Like it!!

Yesterday I shot my M&P in a match for the first time. I have Dan Burwell’s rear sight, stock front sight and Dan’s 3.5# trigger job.

I felt like I shot less aggressively than usual because I have very few rounds behind the gun and it was my first match with it. I ended up second, shooting 98.3% of a local Production GM. I didn’t shoot with that GM, so I’m not sure whether he had a good match or not.

Reloading the M&P is much easier for me than the Glock. I didn’t bobble a reload all day. Since reloading is a big part of the Production game, I’m sure this helped my score.

Dan’s rear sight is excellent, but I felt slightly handicapped with the fat factory front sight on the longer shots. Long shots are a strength of my game with the Glock, but I struggled with the M&P on the multiple 20+ yard shots we had in the match – shooting several Ds.

Dan’s trigger job makes the M&P comparable to my Glocks and a pleasure to shoot. My factory trigger sucked. Personally, I would not use it for carry or competition with the factory trigger.

The M&P was 100% reliable. Overall, I was pleased with the M&P and plan to shoot it in Production for a while.

Personally, I would not use it for carry or competition with the factory trigger.

Agreed. Though light, it didn't seem unsafe to me at all. Assuming a holster that didn't interact with the trigger, and ensuring no shirttail gets in the trigger guard while holstering, that will make a great carry piece (except for the caliber :lol: ).

Long shots are a strength of my game with the Glock, but I struggled with the M&P on the multiple 20+ yard shots we had in the match – shooting several Ds.

Slight drift -- No shortage of shooting tests at our local matches. ;)

When it comes to finger placement on the M&P Trigger I notice I seem to do better if I insert my finger further into the trigger guard like I'm shooting a DA revolver in the traditional manner. It could be I'm more focus doing this, but I did seem to get better hits doing this. What is your experience on finger placement?

Ray Z or anyone else from southern Ohio.

I assume the 5" models are still not avaliable so what is the best price on the 4.25" model in the 9mm.

I would be looking in the Dayton, Cincinnati area. I also go to the Dayton gun show. They generally have better new gun prices there but I have not seen the M&P at that show.

Thanks,

JFS

Jim

Vances in Columbus had them last month for $399!! Hope they still have some at that price for ya. Giving up on Gaston? ;)

PS for all you can get on the S&W website and get a coupon for a free bag promotion to send in with your reciept. Haven't got the bag yet but hopefully soon,

Edited by BSeevers

Bill,

I guess I have more money than sense. I need something new to spend my allowance on.

Did you buy one of the new M&P's? If so how do you like it?

It would really be nice to get something that is a little easier to reload.

Sometimes I see the even the masters having a little trouble on the reload.

Chris. is it OK to put a Glock in the S&W bag?

JFS

PS: Anyone going to Miamisburg this Sunday?

Yea I got one. Oh no secrets out.

It points great and with a Dan Burwell trigger and sight, its good for me. When Eric get TruGrip for it, it will be a great Production gun. its not proven like the G but looks pretty good so far.

I can reload it easy but I could reload a Glock too. I don't relate to the Glock grip angle.

PS for all you can get on the S&W website and get a coupon for a free bag promotion to send in with your reciept. Haven't got the bag yet but hopefully soon,

I actually got my bag and I have to say, it's pretty damn nice for a free bag!

+1 on Bill's reply. I like the trigger the way it is. Unbelievable lack of recoil. I'd jump on that $399 price. I paid $465 at the Dayton show for mine.

Ray, talk about lack of recoil, are you talking about the 9 or 40. If you're talking about a 9 having lack of recoil, you should try the 40. It definitely doesnt feel like a 40, it feels like a hot 9, and Im talking about the full power duty rounds we have to carry.

Handles the recoil better than most everything Ive tried before. The recoil is almost non-existent on the 9.

Great guns.