Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you like to run first?

Squirrel45

Hi Everyone, 

In say a tier II or III match what do you like to run first, if of course your running two guns? I seem to always struggle with this mindset, pistol V. rifle, RF V. CF etc. I understand that this is completely opinion but would like to yours.

take care

Squirrel  

Currently shoot RFPO and RFRO in SC.  I like to shoot my RFPO first because I have it running at near 100% reliability and my RFRO has been less reliable.  So, it gives me some confidence to shoot my most reliable gun first so any reliability issues don't spoil my mindset for the remainder of any particular stage.  If and when I get both guns performing at top reliability...not sure what criteria I will use to pick which one I shoot first.

Edited by ShredderTactical
Clarification.

On 4/16/2022 at 9:12 PM, Squirrel45 said:

Hi Everyone, 

In say a tier II or III match what do you like to run first, if of course your running two guns? I seem to always struggle with this mindset, pistol V. rifle, RF V. CF etc. I understand that this is completely opinion but would like to yours.

take care

Squirrel  

When shooting two (2) rimfire guns, I choose the rifle then the pistol. When shooting RF and CF handguns, I choose the rimfire then the centerfire.. 

most times it is about preference.  Like previously stated if 1 of the 2 is not my main focus then I'll go that first as a warm up.  If i'm shooting irons and optics usually go for the irons first.  in a multi-day match I usually shoot irons one day and optics another.  If I'm shooting all one type of sight then I usually shoot by ammo so I'm not carting RF and CF ammo at the same time.

I normally shoot 6 divisions at majors (more if I can) and it normally goes:

CO / RFPO

PROD / RFPI

Whatever / whatever

...where those last "whatever" divisions alternate between ISR or SS and PCCO or RFRO.

In general, I tend to:

1) generally go one centerfire and one rimfire/PCC in a block,

2) shoot the centerfire first, and

3) keep the same sight type if I'm shooting all pistols.

If for some reason I shot RFPO/RFRO in the same block, I'd shoot the pistol first, because getting hits with a rifle is easier (this is not the same thing as saying that doing well with a rifle is easier), and I always want to shoot the more-difficult division (with respect to accuracy) first.

But that's me.  Some people prefer the easier division as a warmup, and I see the benefits of that also.   :)

with both rifle open classes  ( red dots ) I shoot the PCC first as it has a heavier trigger and weighs more than the RFRO gun and much prefer to do them AM /PM than in the same flight because they are just different enough that if I shoot the lite ( RFRO ) trigger first then I might experience a problem breaking the heavier trigger JMHO

Thanks everyone for the feedback! 

seem that its RF then CF but after that its up to yourself. I started out with RFPO but now finding that I want more and more 😕 

thanks again 

Squirrel 

On 4/22/2022 at 8:42 PM, Squirrel45 said:

I started out with RFPO but now finding that I want more and more 😕 

Exactly.  I started out shooting Open and RFPO.  My Open gun was actually my Limited gun with a dovetail mounted red dot.    I decided to build a dedicated SCSA only 1911 Open gun.  So I did.  Two years later I wanted to shoot in more Divisions.  So I built a RFRO and a PCCO.  If I could still see front sights, I'd shoot the same with Irons.  Shooting in more Divisions is MUCH more fun.

• 1 month later...

My main 2 divisions are PCCO and RFRO.

I always shoot PCCO first as the times I ran RFRO first I found myself trying to shoot and swing faster than the PCCO allowed causing bad runs...but it's been a few years since I've done it to see if it matters anymore.