Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So. . .anybody shot the 322 yet?

rtl

8 hours ago, Almo said:

Congratulations, Matt1911.  I'm anxious to try it at a Steel Challenge.  I'm going to shoot a match this Sunday but, after a 3-1/2 month layoff from shooting, I think I'll stick to my Walther with iron sights for this one.  I'm a lot more familiar with it.  I may try the Sig with the red dot next month.

Just shoot it anyways. If you do poorly, you can just blame it on the 3.5 month break. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Matt1911, I feel pretty comfortable with the 322, but not so much with the red dot.  I need to get used to finding the red dot while shooting before I frustrate myself at a match.  But, I'll start practicing with it and shoot it at a match in the near future.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like my P322. It has been 100% reliable with Federal Automatch but with Winchester M-22 I couldn't make it through a mag without a FTF. I did just pick up a FN 502 this week. Man, that thing is great. The 322 feels like a cheap plastic toy compared to the 502.

• 3 weeks later...

Just shot my 322 at an outlaw steel match... dominated RPO and beat the centerfire pistols. Weather was below freezing the entire time, the gun was cold (but lubed), and it ran great. I don't recall any failures except maybe a stove pipe at the end of a mag (and that was when I was done shooting anyways). Ammo was garbage Fed Automatch. I did give it a reasonably good cleaning before I took it out, but it wasn't THAT deep.

Being able to stuff 22-24 in a mag is a game changer when RPI/RPO doesn't have mag limits. I was able to shoot most of the stages without a reload, and the couple reloads I had to do were quick and easy.

I'm not saying the P322 is perfect, but at least mine is getting the job done quite nicely. If Sig ever releases a high-cap 22 rifle as good as the P322, I could be perusaded to give it a try...

Picked up a 322 and put on a Romeo Zero and the Armory Craft trigger. Shot a bowling pin match with it and love it. Worked 100% (used the 20rd mags and CCI Mini-Mag) and the AC trigger made a nice difference. Trigger was $60 and took about 15 minutes to install and tweak to remove pretravel and overtravel.

53 minutes ago, jt1207 said:

Picked up a 322 and put on a Romeo Zero and the Armory Craft trigger. Shot a bowling pin match with it and love it. Worked 100% (used the 20rd mags and CCI Mini-Mag) and the AC trigger made a nice difference. Trigger was $60 and took about 15 minutes to install and tweak to remove pretravel and overtravel.

The AC trigger is really a must-have for this gun. It's not quite a 22/45 with the VQ mods, but you can shoot stupid fast with it.

I’m definitely still loving mine, shot it all winter with very few issues, certainly no more than everyone else shooting bulk rimfire ammo.  And I never really pay any attention to how I load the mags. 

I picked up one with the romeo zero last week and finally got it out to the range. I ran 300 rounds through it with only a couple of ammo related FTF's (aguilla high velocity). The gun was plenty accurate and its amazing how quickly those mags run out. I had seen reviews online complaining of excessive leading which lead to keyholing but I didn't observe that in mine. Put two mags through the suppressor and it was a whole lot of fun. 

7 hours ago, FlightMurse said:

I picked up one with the romeo zero last week and finally got it out to the range…

Put two mags through the suppressor and it was a whole lot of fun. 

Ugh, I “hate” you suppressor people!

I am sooooo jealous, I can’t imagine how much fun it would be to have one on a .22 plinker like the P322. But, alas, we can’t have them in MA, so I am screwed for now. But one day, I hope to live in a free state where I can equip multiple guns with them. 

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the range using cheap Winchester bulk lead HP for the first time, and halfway through a 325 round box I started hitting 10-12 inches low on steel at 25 yards. Set up some paper to see what’s up, and it was keyholing  every round. 
The barrel crown is now covered in lead and I can’t get a group smaller than 6” at 7 yards. 
When I get this thing cleaned up, I’m sticking with what I’ve used the most. Federal plated and CCI mini mags. 

Edited by Matt1911

• 4 months later...
On 4/4/2023 at 3:46 PM, Matt1911 said:

Just got back from the range using cheap Winchester bulk lead HP for the first time, and halfway through a 325 round box I started hitting 10-12 inches low on steel at 25 yards. Set up some paper to see what’s up, and it was keyholing  every round. 
The barrel crown is now covered in lead and I can’t get a group smaller than 6” at 7 yards. 
When I get this thing cleaned up, I’m sticking with what I’ve used the most. Federal plated and CCI mini mags. 

Forgot to update this. 
I ended up just sending the gun back to Sig and they replaced the barrel. 
I’ve put about 1k of Federal plated through it since then and it hasn’t had any issues leading up again. 

On 8/8/2023 at 3:43 PM, Matt1911 said:

Forgot to update this. 
I ended up just sending the gun back to Sig and they replaced the barrel. 
I’ve put about 1k of Federal plated through it since then and it hasn’t had any issues leading up again. 

I wonder if they finally listened....lol

1 hour ago, mrvip27 said:

I wonder if they finally listened....lol

Not sure if they listened, or if plated ammo is the cure. 
I don’t know how they haven’t figured it out yet. My Ruger Mkiii has somewhere around 15k rounds of various manufacturer and it still shoots lights out. 

25 minutes ago, Matt1911 said:

Not sure if they listened, or if plated ammo is the cure. 
I don’t know how they haven’t figured it out yet. My Ruger Mkiii has somewhere around 15k rounds of various manufacturer and it still shoots lights out. 

Yeah, but have you cleaned it yet???

My MKIII went forever between cleanings.  I wouldn't even think of taking it apart to clean until it stopped working, and that was very rare...

15 hours ago, Cuz said:

Yeah, but have you cleaned it yet???

My MKIII went forever between cleanings.  I wouldn't even think of taking it apart to clean until it stopped working, and that was very rare...

I clean the Ruger around every thousand rounds. When I notice the lead buildup around the chamber. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/24/2022 at 7:48 PM, Cuz said:

Keep the reports coming.  I'm especially interested in how well it runs with a red dot mounted on it, preferably something like a Holosun 407K.

Thanks.

It runs amazing. It is a very reliable gun, accurate and ergonomic.. load the magazines carefully, lots of problems are caused by improperly loaded ammunition. I have even started to use it for steel matches and am having a lot of fun with it. 

EDIT: I had forgotten I had already replied to this thread a few months back. Sorry, consider this an update. I like it even more, to put things in perspective I sold a Mamba I owned because the 10 rounds capacity was boring and at steel challenge distances the 322 is plenty accurate.

I have run mine very dirty (shoot suppressed and all) to see how long she would go, and am 3 bricks without cleaning without an issue. 

Edited by dspring

Lol, I've double replied, or asked the very same question on 2 consecutive days because I forgot I already asked it.

But, as a follow-up, I shot mine all last winter with a 407k and loved it.  Switched to centerfire for the outdoor season, but will be switching back to the P322 for indoor steel over the winter and am looking forward to getting it out to play with.

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2022 at 12:55 PM, Almo said:

Has anyone shot a Steel Challenge match with it yet?  How did you do?  I'm anxious to try it.  Unfortunately, I've been on injured reserve the last two months and probably for the near future.

I have shot a few. She is plenty accurate for steel matches, and 5 mags go a long way. I enjoy it a lot. So far 100% accuracy, and have gone weeks without cleaning.

I shoot better ammo at matches, but it doesn’t seem to make a noticeable difference. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been practicing with it and testing a wide variety of ammo.  So far, it's handled everything flawlessly, from target loads to high power loads.  It's accurate but I'm still trying to get used to shooting fast with the red dot.  So far, I'm still faster with my 1911 conversion with iron sights.

On 4/2/2023 at 1:26 PM, Azshooter44 said:

For the cost, I think its a good value for doing transitions. 3000 rounds through it pays for itself in what you would have spent in 9mm.

This is pretty much what I tell all new shooters when they ask me about buying their first pistol.  They always want centerfire.  I tell them to price out about 3,000 rounds of ammo for the caliber they want, and bulk rimfire.  Then show them that they can buy the rimfire ammo and the gun for less than the centerfire ammo, and the first 3k of ammo will be just for them to learn how to shoot, etc. so it doesn't matter what caliber.