So. . .anybody shot the 322 yet?

rtl

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will NOT be the first guy on my block to own one.

But I'll probably end up with one eventually.  It can't possibly be a worse .22 than my Ruger SR-22 or Glock 44.

9 hours ago, rtl said:

Awwwww.  You know we all have. How early did you buy the 365?  Did you send your first 320 back for a trigger upgrade?

RTL

I may have one 320 that I let slip through the cracks between moves and work that never got sent back 🤪

• 2 weeks later...

I did send my 320 in, waited until gen 3 for my Mpx and just picked up the P322. Will test a few hundred rounds tomorrow or Saturday then taking it to a rimfire challenge match Sunday so I’ll report back after that. So far just handling it at the store feels extremely light but I’ve been shooting limited with a steel frame para hi cap so everything is light.

Friday put 200 rounds of mixed loads of the 22 I have on hand. 50 blazer standard no issue, 50 aguila super extra no issue, 50 Remington golden bullet 2 misfeeds where the round missed the chamber completely and stuck straight up like a stovepipe but live rounds, and lastly 50 rounds Winchester super X had 2 failure to feed hollow point caught the feed ramp. This morning shot 100+ didn’t keep accurate count but had 4 rimfire challenge stages with 5-7 targets each. Used the aguila super extra and the gun ran fine all day. So far I’m enjoying the pistol not a fan of the 3 dot fiber sights would prefer the rear blacked out. I used cabela points and got the gun for free but would still be happy if I paid cash. Guess time will tell how it holds up.

Shot one today, it shot very well and the trigger is great for a out of the box 22. I hate to say it, but it blows the Glock away without trying. Accuracy was good and it did not miss a beat.

7 hours ago, troupe said:

Shot one today, it shot very well and the trigger is great for a out of the box 22. I hate to say it, but it blows the Glock away without trying. Accuracy was good and it did not miss a beat.

Nothin has to try very hard to beat the Glock 44.  I’m solidly in the camp of Glock fanboy, but I’ll be the first to admit that I consider the Glock 22 to be a total failure for how I wanted to use it. I didn’t want a G19 trainer. I wanted a decent sized 22 with a decent trigger that I could mount a red to on. I can’t get mine to run reliably. 
I’ve switched to the Taurus TX22 platform and am very happy with it. 

The Sig looks interesting and if it will run with a Holosun dot I’ll probably pick up one or two of them as well. 

I coach a kids' team, so I see a fair few rimfire pistols come through... a few thoughts:
1. My one and only experience with the G44 made it clear it was garbage. Choked continuously with quality ammo. When Glock's marketing is "ultra reliable", that's not OK.

2. TX22 has been a reasonably good, very reliable performer. One of the dads cleaned up at an outlaw steel match with it (it is literally his daughter's pistol; she won it at a side match at Nats). If I saw one cheap on consignment, I'd think about getting one.

3. Ruger Mark III/IV pistols are super solid, have good QD optics support, and can be tuned to crazy levels. Unfortunately, the 10rd mag limit is a deal-killer for some sports.

4. 1911 conversions can be OK if you stuff enough aftermarket parts in. They are probably not worth the effort compared to the Rugers if you don't already have a sweet 1911 lying around.

5. Never found a Glock conversion reliable enough for competition, at least one that would work across ammo types. Mini-mags generally produced the best results, but even then, weren't quite enough.

6. Beretta Neos was extremely reliable and easy to field strip, but has a garbage trigger, Weaver-spec rail, and 10rd mag limit. Too bad, I wanted to like it...

The P322 in its current form is not necessarily the pistol I want, but if Sig releases a competition version with a heavier X5-style grip, 25rd mags, and a fixed optic mount, I'd be in on that.

4 hours ago, erwos said:

I coach a kids' team, so I see a fair few rimfire pistols come through... a few thoughts:
1. My one and only experience with the G44 made it clear it was garbage. Choked continuously with quality ammo. When Glock's marketing is "ultra reliable", that's not OK.

2. TX22 has been a reasonably good, very reliable performer. One of the dads cleaned up at an outlaw steel match with it (it is literally his daughter's pistol; she won it at a side match at Nats). If I saw one cheap on consignment, I'd think about getting one.

3. Ruger Mark III/IV pistols are super solid, have good QD optics support, and can be tuned to crazy levels. Unfortunately, the 10rd mag limit is a deal-killer for some sports.

4. 1911 conversions can be OK if you stuff enough aftermarket parts in. They are probably not worth the effort compared to the Rugers if you don't already have a sweet 1911 lying around.

5. Never found a Glock conversion reliable enough for competition, at least one that would work across ammo types. Mini-mags generally produced the best results, but even then, weren't quite enough.

6. Beretta Neos was extremely reliable and easy to field strip, but has a garbage trigger, Weaver-spec rail, and 10rd mag limit. Too bad, I wanted to like it...

The P322 in its current form is not necessarily the pistol I want, but if Sig releases a competition version with a heavier X5-style grip, 25rd mags, and a fixed optic mount, I'd be in on that.

The fixed optic mount is what sold me on the Taurus TX22 Competition.  Finally a full size pistol that was relatively close to my Glock Carry Optics gun that lets me reliably run a full size SRO optic reliably.

Yes, the same optic will work on my Ruger MK-III Target, but it's a different type of gun entirely.  I wanted something that resembled my carry optics setup just to play around on the range, and for teaching newer shooters.  I have both a standard TX22 and a Competition model and they are very popular every time I take them out to play.

Shot the 322 again today. Four different shooters tried it. The trigger is great and it shoots a little high. It did not miss a beat with the federal ammo. Two of the shooters are going to pick one up. The magazines are staggered with the ammo, did notice that it is important to load the magazines with the ammo staggered the way it was designed for the full 20 rnds.. 20 rnds per mag is also great.

• 6 months later...

I’ve had a pair of them for almost a month now. One stock, and the other with a Holosun HS407K on it. Only a few hundred rounds through each, but they are solid performers and I like the Carry Optics version better than my TX22 SCR. Not necessarily because it is better, but because I prefer the carry optics platform over an open gun. 

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Armory Craft adjustable trigger on their P322. I put another 100 or so rounds through mine and they are running great. Then I saw this trigger and now I “need” one. If they have a Black Friday sale, I’m pretty sure I’ll end up getting one to try. Mostly just because it comes in red…

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Armory Craft adjustable trigger on their P322. I put another 100 or so rounds through mine and they are running great. Then I saw this trigger and now I “need” one. If they have a Black Friday sale, I’m pretty sure I’ll end up getting one to try. Mostly just because it comes in red…

Definitely recommend the AC trigger for the P322!  And the red looks GREAT!  ;)

HTHs!

AC Trig1.png

AC Trig2.png

Edited by HOGRIDER
update

8 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Definitely recommend the AC trigger for the P322!  And the red looks GREAT!  ;)

HTHs!

AC Trig1.png

AC Trig2.png

I guess that pretty much settles it. Just waiting for the Black Friday sale so I can place the order. 

I have become a big fan of the 322, to the point I can say it’s my favorite 22 ever. I have had Rugers, a Neos, a G44 and more recently a TX22. 

The TX22 is the only one that compares, but Taurus reputation did non disappoint. A pin started to walk on mine, turning it into a one shot affair in the middle of a match. 

I have shot a few bricks with the 322, and some of them were very old, the price tag was $15.50 for 500 rounds. The gun is reliable, accurate, fun to shoot and comes optics ready, suppressor ready, and with two triggers. I have installed the Armory craft, and I believe it to be a marked improvement and a worthy expense. Have replaced the Sentinel with a Holosun and I much prefer it. No changes in reliability. 

22 rounds of .22. I always thought it impossible, but they made it and it’s fun fun fun. Load it carefully, and she will do her part. 

478ABA03-5121-4521-8E57-01B64CB43E07.jpeg

I had the opportunity to take my P322 out for a test drive today. My 322 is set up like @HOGRIDER's and @dspring's... AC trigger and Holosun 407KX2-GR optic. I only had the factory 10rd'ers available (compliance model) for testing, but looking forward to giving the 20rd ones a try soon.

Anyways, it was like 35f out, and I hadn't lubed the gun, so pretty dire conditions for most guns. After a couple malfs out of the first magazine (which my son might have loaded!!!), it was very reliable from there on out. I used some Fed Automatch and CCI SV, and my hot take is that it really liked the latter (which is good, since I have a whole case of it). Didn't shoot any groups, but it hit where I expected on steel. 

The AC trigger goes a long way to making the gun more usable (it basically pre-travels to the reset point now), but the pull through the break is pretty bleh. Very mushy long break, nothing like the factory P320 X5 Legion break (which isn't amazing, but is, IMHO, much better). I would still elect to use my tuned-up 22/45s for Steel Challenge or SASP. BUT, for a match where a high-cap 22 could provide some competitive advantage, I wouldn't think twice about bringing a P322. Hopefully the aftermarket will provide a more thorough solution for the trigger feel.

Now, where are those 25rd mags?

I shot mine again this weekend and it ran well with the Federal AutoMatch 40gr LRN. I wish they were copper coated.  

I did have one observation, I wish it were heavier.  Anyone know a good way to add weight to it?  A flashlight is an option, but then I’d need another holster, and for some reason the flashlight seems to get in the way.