Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone know the delay time on different timers between the actual button push and beep?

adrone

Asking due to a problem at a match. Im wearing double amps. In ear and muffs both with amp. I can hear the timer button being pushed. Clearly. Every time.

I got a procedural. Argued it. Became a problem at a match where me and the Ro's perception differed. Later Ive learned it would be the beep not the button push. Which could get grey and depend on the listener.

Does anyone know what the actual delay on some of the common timers we use are between press and beep? Also the duration of the beep?

The beep should be instant.  The beep duration is 0.20 seconds. 

Timers have an "instant" setting and a "random" setting. 

If y'all are using the random beep setting at a match that's incorrect.

1 minute ago, George Jones said:

If the timer being used is one with a RESET button and is being held close to your ear, you are probably hearing the reset push.  Ask the RO to press the reset before bringing the timer up.

I dunno if the click I hear is a release or a push. Its just a button click noise. No idea on which timer last time I dont usually look at the timer when im shooting,.

20 minutes ago, BJB said:

The beep should be instant.  The beep duration is 0.20 seconds. 

Timers have an "instant" setting and a "random" setting. 

If y'all are using the random beep setting at a match that's incorrect.

It definitely isn't in seconds so its not on random. Instant isn't instant. Im sure theres a very small delay I just wonder what it is.

25 minutes ago, George Jones said:

My money is on a CED 7000.

Happens all the time when the RO forgets to reset and does it right next to your ear.

Some of our RO's make sure they reset it right after you shoot. So that you can't check the accuracy of your time of course....I make sure not to squad with those.

1 hour ago, adrone said:

I dunno if the click I hear is a release or a push. Its just a button click noise. No idea on which timer last time I dont usually look at the timer when im shooting,.

Why are you jumping the start?  Stop looking for reasons to be right and go when you hear the beep like everyone else.

1 hour ago, adrone said:

Asking due to a problem at a match. Im wearing double amps. In ear and muffs both with amp. I can hear the timer button being pushed. Clearly. Every time.

I got a procedural. Argued it. Became a problem at a match where me and the Ro's perception differed. Later Ive learned it would be the beep not the button push. Which could get grey and depend on the listener.

Does anyone know what the actual delay on some of the common timers we use are between press and beep? Also the duration of the beep?

There is no perception problem and no gray area.

1 minute ago, Mcfoto said:

This is why the stage description reads: “Start signal: audible.”

We all know (except him) what that means.  I'm sure he'll argue next that the "click" from the button being pushed is audible.........

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

10 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

We all know (except him) what that means.  I'm sure he'll argue next that the "click" from the button being pushed is audible.........

You can take your smart remarks somewhere else Firemarshall Bill. 

11 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

I don't wear amps with the intention to jump the start. I just happen to wear them and i hear the button being pushed so.  Im simply asking a question on these timers. 
So you can drop your attitude. If you wouldnt say it to me in person in that manner then don’t say it on the net. 

Edited by adrone

11 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

There is no perception problem and no gray area.

And yes there is a potential grey area between when you think you heard an audible “beep” and when someone else thinks they do. Everyones perception and reaction time is different. Button push its not debatable I already mentioned no argument there. My first comment I said “I’ve since learned it would be the beep and not the button push”

Edited by adrone

10 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

If you really want to impress your friends with how quick you are, impress them with how fast you are reacting to the Beep.

I think you are misunderstanding. Im not trying to game the timer or impress anyone. Im just asking a technical question about something im wondering about. Instead of replies with the actual information I get a bunch of comments like yours. 

There are probably a hundred variables as a push button switch wears with use,  different manufacturers, finger pressure, a delay set, the R.O. Ring hitting the case etc., etc.  As noted,  the Beep itself is the start so if you can detect the button or another sound, that is not the audible start.  

16 hours ago, adrone said:

Some of our RO's make sure they reset it right after you shoot. So that you can't check the accuracy of your time of course....I make sure not to squad with those.

The CED 7000 can recall up to 10 strings. The reset button just has to be pushed before the start button can be pressed again. It doesn't erase your time to hit the reset button on those. 

1 hour ago, waktasz said:

The CED 7000 can recall up to 10 strings. The reset button just has to be pushed before the start button can be pressed again. It doesn't erase your time to hit the reset button on those. 

but it's still an unprofessional dick move to not be willing to happily show the timer to the shooter, his video guy, and anyone else in the neighborhood who wants a look.

3 hours ago, motosapiens said:

but it's still an unprofessional dick move to not be willing to happily show the timer to the shooter, his video guy, and anyone else in the neighborhood who wants a look.

Its a very small minority who do that but it happens.  Usually to whoever that particular RO thinks he is competing with.  

5 hours ago, motosapiens said:

What I'm saying is hitting the reset button on these timers doesn't actually do anything. It just readies the timer for the next time you want to hit start. All the stuff is still in there. I probably hit reset about 20 times between shooters because I don't want to get to the point where I go to hit start and the button doesn't work because the reset button hasn't been hit yet. It's just a quirk of the CED 7000

Edited by waktasz

29 minutes ago, waktasz said:

What I'm saying is hitting the reset button on these timers doesn't actually do anything. It just readies the timer for the next time you want to hit start. All the stuff is still in there. I probably hit reset about 20 times between shooters because I don't want to get to the point where I go to hit start and the button doesn't work because the reset button hasn't been hit yet. It's just a quirk of the CED 7000

Or you can go into the menu and enable auto start, which resets the timer every time you hit start eliminating the need to even use the reset button.