Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vibratory tumbler and lead dusting

SlvrDragon50

I'm thinking about getting a Frankford vibratory tumbler, but I am mostly worried about the lead dust as I can only use it indoors (no garage). My process is ultrasonic clean pick up brass followed by decapping, resize, trim, and swage. Currently I'm ultrasonic cleaning again afterwards, but I am wanting to have less time spent actively managing the cleaner (drying brass, changing out cleaning solution, etc.) by throwing it all into the vibratory tumbler. Is the risk of airborne lead still present if I am using it after I've already cleaned once?

If your already doing all that with the ultrasonic why not just switch to the Frankford wet tumbler? 

I don't have any experience with vibratory dry tumblers but I've heard from lots of guys if you put cut up dryer sheets in there it absorbs the dust

1 hour ago, louu said:

If your already doing all that with the ultrasonic why not just switch to the Frankford wet tumbler? 

I don't have any experience with vibratory dry tumblers but I've heard from lots of guys if you put cut up dryer sheets in there it absorbs the dust

I've been told that the vibratory tumblers can be a bit quieter than rotary tumblers. Is that not necessarily true? I know my end goal when I have a garage or separate room is to move to a wet tumbler eventually.

I think the vibratory tumbler is pretty loud, and I run mine in the garage.  I don't see a  dust issue when I have the lid tight.

BTW, I went with this model because of the the built in timer:  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021383076?pid=933392

I have a friend that uses dryer sheets, I don't bother since it's in the garage with the door open a couple of inches.

Not sure why you're cleaning your brass twice ... but everyone has a different process.

18 minutes ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

I think the vibratory tumbler is pretty loud, and I run mine in the garage.  I don't see a  dust issue when I have the lid tight.

BTW, I went with this model because of the the built in timer:  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021383076?pid=933392

I have a friend that uses dryer sheets, I don't bother since it's in the garage with the door open a couple of inches.

Not sure why you're cleaning your brass twice ... but everyone has a different process.

It is to clean off the case lube after resizing. This is only for 223, no issues with 9mm. I just clean once for that.

indoors only, get a wet tumbler if you do any amount of reloading. at one time i dry tumbled indoors, in my spare room for years. got a job working with lead, and lead testing was required, my lead levels were fairly high. several years of that job killed my reloading time, and my lead levels dropped 30%. they may not seem dusty, but guarantee'd you are getting lead dust from a dry tumbler. only thing i use a dry tumbler for any more is taking lube off sized rifle brass.

If you tumble with the lid on, wait 5 min or so after shutting it off before taking the lid off, wear rubber gloves and take it outside to open and dump it you should reduce in-home lead exposure. They are all noisy, just different types of noise. The vibratory dry is more of a hum where the wet tumbler is more sloshing chattering, like a washing machine. 

I used a vibratory tumbler for years and had some decent outcome. Really shiny brass took me many many hours of tumbling. I switched over to wet tumbling with stainless pins and in 2 hours, the brass is crazy shiny. 

as for rifle cases and removing the lube. I always deprime prior to tumbling so add an extra lube pad since it will get pretty nasty after a while. 

I just got the FART wet tumbler this past weekend after years of dry tumbling. Really glad I did it.

It's about the same volume but much cleaner for me. The inside of the case isn't cleaned without pins but I don't mind.

So far I've been decapping cases first, no pins, and half a tablespoon of dry dish washer detergent. Decapping helps the tub drain faster. but I'm not sure its necessary as long as they dry quickly. Cases are clean enough in about half an hour.

Edited by belus

16 hours ago, belus said:

I just got the FART wet tumbler this past weekend after years of dry tumbling. Really glad I did it.

It's about the same volume but much cleaner for me. The inside of the cases isn't cleaned without pins but I don't mind.

So far I've been decapping cases first, no pins, and half a tablespoon of dry dish washer detergent. Decapping helps the tub drain faster. but I'm not sure its necessary as long as they dry quickly. Cases are clean enough in about half an hour.

I’d be cautious of dry dishwasher soap as most have chlorine in them. Not sure about a reaction with the brass or not. I know ammonia is bad for brass. 

Edited by Farmer

22 hours ago, Farmer said:

I’d be cautious of dry dishwasher soap as most have chlorine in them. Not sure about a reaction with the brass or not. I know ammonia is bad for brass. 

Not in the cheapest stuff from the grocery store: https://www.kroger.com/CleaningProductRightToKnow/0001111080564ING.pdf

Edited by belus

I use Hornandy M-1's (vibratory) in the garage and separate the brass from the media in an open air area.  Wish to limit my lead exposure so I don't do this inside. 

I'm too lazy to decap prior to tumbling (like I used to) so my media gets dirty.  Can't imagine wet processing the same batch, twice! 

Betting you get a nice clean result though. 

Decapping and wet tumbling prior is going to really cut down on lead dust in the media. 

I think you are good to go tumbling inside with a decent fitting lid, but I'd still consider separating the media outside.  

• 2 months later...

Either approach will give you lead exposure.    Honesty, PPE is both the smartest and best way to help mitigate exposure.  If you go dry…You can also drop the exposure levels by way of dust based particulates down on your media by treating it…this isn’t to the levels of smart use of PPE… 

For reducing dust the old school way started with transferring it from bucket to bucket outside on a windy day to get rid of the fine particulates as much as possible before even using the media.   Then also treating it and running it prior to even using it to tumble or finish polish.   

Dryer sheets are somewhat a home fix (to some extent) but treating it helps with dust WAY more.  Also  helpful is rotating your media and varying your mesh size for the application.  Many people use too fine of a media for the application and because it’s incorrect they end up tumbling longer, which also can produce more dust by breaking down the granular husk/shells with heavy tumble loads.

• 1 month later...

I dry tumble inside (basement). A few things I do:

• Make sure the lid is tight
  • Use a dryer sheet cut in half. (Lots of dark dust will adhere to it)
  • Be sure to "charge" your media with your preferred polish one and a while. I use Hornady one shot or NuFinish
  • I run a small air purifier next to the vibratory tumbler when in use
  • Wear nitrile gloves and a dust mask when separating the brass from the media.

I've had lead testing a couple times and my levels were good.