Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help ID this powder?

Hooked

Hi everyone, any thoughts on what this powder might be? I’m thinking it may be Clays, but figured I’d ask here for opinions as well.

The charge was 4.5grs under a 115gr Montana Gold.

Thanks!

1807E768-C251-4BE1-BFAE-F1ABF69AACE1.jpeg

Edited by Hooked

1 hour ago, AHI said:

Why are you asking?

I inherited 3k rounds of reloads. I figured if I can figure out what it is, and if some random sampling indicates good quality control, I’d shoot it. Otherwise, I’d start breaking down the rounds and give my flowerbeds some fertilizer. 

It looks like a euro powder. As stated above it could be a Maxam powder. Maxams website has some pictures of their powders for identification. It does look like one of the CSB powders to me.  I had some but it's been a long time ago

Edited by AHI

1 hour ago, Hooked said:

I inherited 3k rounds of reloads. I figured if I can figure out what it is, and if some random sampling indicates good quality control, I’d shoot it. Otherwise, I’d start breaking down the rounds and give my flowerbeds some fertilizer. 

It doesn't work for fertilizer. It would take years for it to break down. I think the reason people say to sling it out in the yard is to spread it so there is less chance for it burning. Modern smokeless powder is pretty resilient. UV will have more of an effect on it than anything.  

I would throw it out if it did not come in an "officially labelled " powder container. Too risky even though many powders are hard to get these days. Would not want to blow up my gun using a powder that I could not positively identify.