Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 1911 Shooter

GrimmTactical

Buy a suitable Springfield Armory 1911.   You can buy several for under 1K.  All I have seen or worked on have been top notch.  The trigger is not smooth initially, buy smooths out to a nice 3.5 lb. pull after a couple hundred firings.  You could also have a trigger job done and still be under 1k.

Personally, I would never buy a Kimber.  In your price range they are garbage.  It's a shame.  A long time ago they made great guns for reasonably prices.  I would also not buy a Bul.  I've never handled a Ruger, so I can't comment.

14 minutes ago, zzt said:

Buy a suitable Springfield Armory 1911.   You can buy several for under 1K.  All I have seen or worked on have been top notch.  The trigger is not smooth initially, buy smooths out to a nice 3.5 lb. pull after a couple hundred firings.  You could also have a trigger job done and still be under 1k.

Personally, I would never buy a Kimber.  In your price range they are garbage.  It's a shame.  A long time ago they made great guns for reasonably prices.  I would also not buy a Bul.  I've never handled a Ruger, so I can't comment.

Curious to why you say no to Bul. I know 4 people that have them as well as myself and none have had issues. 
Machined sear, disconnector and hammer. Front strap checkering. Competition sights. Good grips and good trigger. Also come with 2 good 10rd mags. 

3 hours ago, jpm2953 said:

Curious to why you say no to Bul. I know 4 people that have them as well as myself and none have had issues. 
Machined sear, disconnector and hammer. Front strap checkering. Competition sights. Good grips and good trigger. Also come with 2 good 10rd mags. 

I'm told they use some proprietary parts.

1 minute ago, zzt said:

I'm told they use some proprietary parts.

Nothing on their 1911's is proprietary. All standard 1911 parts. Also a better fit/quality parts than anything sub $1000 from ruger, springfield, kimber, RIA, remington, etc...

• 2 weeks later...

The Bul armory Trophy  Saw is available either way, bushing or Bull barrel.

The Bull barrel is legal in IPSC, but not USPSA.

I have the bushing version and it is a great gun, but it is on the expensive side.

Compared to my DW PM9, it is difficult to justify $700.00 more than the PM9 but only my opinion.

Edited by Nc1911
Added info

Colt has nicely optioned guns that are under $1k . I have 3 colts, all have been modified extensively at this point, but they ran just fine when they were stock too. 
Used sti could be an option as well. I will also concur with much of what’s mentioned above that I have experience with. Remington, Springfield, Dan Wesson are all nice in my opinion 

On 2/13/2022 at 9:04 AM, jpm2953 said:

Bul Armory. 
contact GP Arms. 
$890 shipped. Nothing else touches it for the price

That’s not a bad price at all. Not for what I expected from bul armory. I may have to check that out myself 

• 3 weeks later...

Ive always been a fan of Springfields and putting a little money towards upgrades like grips, sights and internals, or just shoot it stock. You can save a lot and learn as you go instead of getting a headache budget gun that might work