Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rimfire open pistol - best bang for the buck

Halen

If you look around the scorpions are not hard to find lightly used. I ended up buying two of them last year one for $900 and one for $950 one was brand new the other one same as new condition. One was from Arms list and the other from Gunbroker. Didn’t really intend to buy two of them but after buying the first the second one popped up for a killer deal so had to own it.

11 hours ago, Halen said:

After reading the article I posted above, I'm leaning towards the Scorpion if I go the Volquartsen route. I'm now also kicking around the idea of just building on the Ruger 22/45 platform and creating a Frankenrimfire.

I see more Mambas at matches than Scorpions.  IMO, the comp on the Mamba is better.  Building your own always carries risks, because not everything works with everything else.  For instance, I built my Scorpion from Volquartsen parts.  They didn't all fit properly.  The thumb safety would fall off by itself.  The trigger was horrible.  Mags would not drop out of the frame.  These are only a few of the problems.  Sent it to V to fix.  Came back not fixed.  Tried again.  Minor changes but no fix.  Tried again.  New frame made a difference with trigger and mags dropping.  TS still looser than it should have been.

You could face the same problems with your frankenbuild.  The biggest variable with 22/45 frames is hole position.  Get one that is right and your drop in trigger kit will be perfect.  If wrong, you either live with it or have someone fix it.  Everything else on a frankenbuild can be remedied fairly easily.  I'm a fan of balance in pistols.  My 6" Scorpion felt like swinging a log, because it was so front heavy.  Something like a Tacsol fluted barrel is way better for weight management.

If you do decide t build one yourself, start with just the trigger group.  If that turns out perfect, proceed.  If not, you are not out that much money.

After you talk to Chet, let us know what his build time is.

4 hours ago, ahfox32 said:

I’m ordering a 2nd custom 22 from Chet. The frame has to come from Cheely to you then you send it to Chet. Ordered my frame this morning. Hope to have my pistol by end of February. 

That's a pretty quick turn around all things considered. 

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

What, nobody is running a Taurus TX22 Competition model???

Op did say best bang for the buck. 

really that could be a great option if the thing shoots as good as they are saying,  time will tell

On 1/11/2022 at 5:29 AM, Cuz said:

What, nobody is running a Taurus TX22 Competition model???

Op did say best bang for the buck. 

Just getting mine setup. Ran first match last month.  Running great with CCI 40gr mini-mags. Holosun 407 on top. Trigger is going to need some help pretty soon but I want to shoot it for a while first. 
RTL

For all you TX22 Competition fans, looks like now Taurus has a new model out that's "Steel Challenge Ready":

https://www.taurususa.com/pistols/taurustx-22/taurustx-22-competition-scr-hard-anodized-black-22-lr-black-polymer-frame-10-rounds

I have an original TX22 with regular sights that is a great range gun.  I think I'll pickup one of the Competition models to play with.  Not sure how competitive it will be against the bigger dogs in the game, but it will make a fun range gun and is more in line with my Glock Carry Optics pistol which I tend to favor.

4 hours ago, Cuz said:

For all you TX22 Competition fans, looks like now Taurus has a new model out that's "Steel Challenge Ready":

https://www.taurususa.com/pistols/taurustx-22/taurustx-22-competition-scr-hard-anodized-black-22-lr-black-polymer-frame-10-rounds

I have an original TX22 with regular sights that is a great range gun.  I think I'll pickup one of the Competition models to play with.  Not sure how competitive it will be against the bigger dogs in the game, but it will make a fun range gun and is more in line with my Glock Carry Optics pistol which I tend to favor.

Ha. Got the TK brake and extractor coming now. I want the trigger but got scared off after watching the installation video. Fun little gun. 
RTL

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 8:23 AM, Kwontanamo said:

What parts exactly? I’ve got an old 22/45 that needs some TLC.

For simplicity, just a Volquartsen sear and Tandemkross hammer bushing, about $50 in parts and it will make an absolute world of difference.

22 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

For simplicity, just a Volquartsen sear and Tandemkross hammer bushing, about $50 in parts and it will make an absolute world of difference.

Polishing the button track of the mag inside and out does wonders. Keep the mags clean, no lube of any kind. (this means clean them every time they are used!).  The gun also needs to be cleaned and lubed after every match.  I put the whole VQ parts kit they call it the Competition kit.   The extractor and firing pin are a must have.

Best bang for the buck, get yourself a Volquartsen Black Mamba or Scorpion.  I like the Black Mamba, basically a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 with an extended barrel and better comp.  Mine has just over 100K rounds through it so far and just keeps getting better.

_DSC9727.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jt1207 said:

Curious to hear what you did. I have two Volquartsens (Scorpion, Mini Mamba) that I built from parts for my two kids and they run perfectly. This thread has me interested in a CWA build.

I decided to save some money to get a Volquartsen as it made the most sense for my budget. I'd prefer to get one used if I can find one in decent shape.

1 hour ago, Halen said:

I decided to save some money to get a Volquartsen as it made the most sense for my budget. I'd prefer to get one used if I can find one in decent shape.

If you purely want to shoot an open rimfire pistol get Volquartsens Mamba-X  5in and slap a dot on it with striplin thumb rest and tandemkross safety. You can find them fairly cheap on gunbroker. I've got mine on a tamdemkross kraken frame and its snappy in the best way possible. quick up and down dot movement with the dot returning exactly where it was.