Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rimfire open pistol - best bang for the buck

Halen

I’m a fan of the Ruger 22/45 and eventually ended up buying the Volquardsen Scorpion pistols, but there are plenty of options. CWA is an excellent option for a 1911 style as well. You might look around in the steel challenge area under other shooting sports down below for lots of information. 

I would have Chet at CWA build you a 2011 Open rimfire gun.  They are much more reliable than Rugers and Buckmarks, especially when it comes to magazines.  I've been running his conversion upper on one of my 1911s for 5+ years without a failure not caused by dud ammo.  The mags have real springs in them.  Change them every two years and you'll have no problems.

At the time I ordered my conversion, Chet was not building guns.  If I was starting over I would get one of a 2011 frame so it matched my USPSA and SCSA Open guns.  FWIW, my journey to the CWA conversion took a long path.  I started with Ruger, moved to  High Standard Trophymatic 107, then a Hammerli X-Esse Sport.  Next I tried a Volquartson Scorpion.  After three trips back to the factory I gave up.  My full race custom Buckmark was the best of the bunch, but still was not 100%.  The CWA Conversion cured that.  Mine is also bullseye accurate.

I appreciate all the recommendations, thank you. I've looked at the Volquartsen and it seems like a good fit. Had not considered a Ruger, but will also throw that into the mix. 

4 hours ago, zzt said:

I would have Chet at CWA build you a 2011 Open rimfire gun.  They are much more reliable than Rugers and Buckmarks, especially when it comes to magazines.  I've been running his conversion upper on one of my 1911s for 5+ years without a failure not caused by dud ammo.  The mags have real springs in them.  Change them every two years and you'll have no problems.

At the time I ordered my conversion, Chet was not building guns.  If I was starting over I would get one of a 2011 frame so it matched my USPSA and SCSA Open guns.  FWIW, my journey to the CWA conversion took a long path.  I started with Ruger, moved to  High Standard Trophymatic 107, then a Hammerli X-Esse Sport.  Next I tried a Volquartson Scorpion.  After three trips back to the factory I gave up.  My full race custom Buckmark was the best of the bunch, but still was not 100%.  The CWA Conversion cured that.  Mine is also bullseye accurate.

@zzt Any idea what a custom 2011 build would cost from CWA?

2 hours ago, Bravo_Victor said:

Volquartsen Scorpion or Mamba. Get one, slap an optic on and be done. No need to change anything or bother decking a ruger out. 

Volquartsen and CWA are what I've narrowed it down to, just need to talk with Chet to review the wait time for a build. 

I have two ruger mark III 22's pistols and a 22/45- put in volquartsen triggers, extractors, and firing pins. They run like a champ if cleaned, oiled, etc. No problems. Same with my ruger 10/22's- installed a volquartsen bolt handle, extractor, firing pin, and buffer. No problems as long as rifle is maintained- cleaned, oiled, etc. 

Edited by verla
additional infro

I just built a TK Kraken frame, added a VQ upper and slapped an FTP Optic on it.  I bought the VQ competition bolt on ebay from their "scratch and dent" section for $200 so saved $80 there and it has a slight imperfection on the side that you can barely see and can not feel.  All in I'd say $1500 including the optic.  My Ruger MKIII 22/45 mags needed new base plates, so I bought 20 of them from VQ on clearance for $10.  They're the plastic ones taken from the donor mags they use when adding their own billet plates. 

Thing runs like a top.  Love it.  If I'd known about the 2011 option, I may have gone that route seeing as how the money is about the same, but this thing is the nutts.  I deliberately tested it using a hodge podge of .22 bullets out of my own "box-o-bullets" which is basically just a bunch of different cheap crap tossed into a small ammo can.  I've had one FTF and I think that was due to a janked up bullet.

For TK: firing pin, extractor, front thumb rest, extended safety, charging handle (but sold that) I think thats it. 

From Volks: trigger kit, and lastly the LLV upper. 

To be honest with you this past year was my first year trying SC, when i started the year and for actually 80% of season I ran it with just the flowing upgrade. Volks trigger kit, most certainly the most important one, and a C-More Railway, thats it. I made it to 84% in RFPO. I am not saying that am any good far from it really, however I think you can do a lot damage with a 22/45. You having one already I would in my novice opinion start there. I stared there on account I only $450 in my budget, I had a spare Cmore 🙄.  My current set up all together is running around 1k give or take. This does not include the red dot that would be another $250ish. Starting off last year I was lackluster with the whole RF category now I really enjoy it, go figure.  

take care 

Squirrel 

Edited by Squirrel45
sp

2 hours ago, Posvar said:

I much prefer the Scorpion. People promote the Mamba for ease of breakdown and reassembly but once you figure it out it’s a piece of cake. 

After reading the article I posted above, I'm leaning towards the Scorpion if I go the Volquartsen route. I'm now also kicking around the idea of just building on the Ruger 22/45 platform and creating a Frankenrimfire.

1 minute ago, Halen said:

After reading the article I posted above, I'm leaning towards the Scorpion if I go the Volquartsen route. I'm now also kicking around the idea of just building on the Ruger 22/45 platform and creating a Frankenrimfire.

Weigh the costs of each. With the Scorpion it will run 100% with any ammo (that’s my experience). Fit, finish, and quality is amazing. You won’t get that with a Franken build right off the bat.