Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compensator Ports Cleanout

nelly

Hello All, Anyone have any recommendations for products I can use to clean the carbon out of my Compensator ports ? I usually dip a Q-Tip in CLR and wipe it in the ports between stages to lessen the buildup. 

I used Kroil recently and it works perfectly. Apply some Kroil to the ports and store the weapon so that the penetrating oil can soak in.

Then shoot out the dislodged lead at your next range session or remove it with a straight Dremel wire brush. I had all of my debris removed in just 2 sessions.

I basically do a combination of other answers:  Soak in Kroil and remove the deposits with a brass punch.

I've heard of folks using welding anti-splatter spray to prevent the deposits from sticking, but I've never used that. 

What I do use is some copper-infused anti-seize (that I have on hand), painted inside the comp with the included brush.  

1 hour ago, N3WWN said:

I basically do a combination of other answers:  Soak in Kroil and remove the deposits with a brass punch.

I've heard of folks using welding anti-splatter spray to prevent the deposits from sticking, but I've never used that. 

What I do use is some copper-infused anti-seize (that I have on hand), painted inside the comp with the included brush.  

That's a interesting idea with the anit-seize.

I've let my comp soak in simple green then took a pick to it. didn't take much effort to get the bulk out. 

If carbon is your only problem anything will work.  After 8000 rounds I decided to clean my comp.  The chambers were black, but I could still see the original machining marks.    I sprayed in some Weapon Shield Solvent, let it sit for 5 minutes, then wiped everything out with Q-tips.  Clean as a whistle.

If you shoot jacketed or poly bullets you will have stuff other than carbon gunking up the chambers.  Id just lead, use Kroil Oil.  If poly, there is a solution but I can't remember it just now.  I'll look it up later and post.

12 hours ago, nelly said:

All good methods, I'll go with the Kroil, seems to be the easiest. Problem is the availability of Kroil. Only place near me is Bruno's Shooters Supply that shows any in stock.

Amazon has several types of kroil

I have used FP-10: apply it and let it soak in. Then chip out the debris or use a drill bit on an electric hand drill to gently remove the debris.

When done apply a liberal coat of FP-10 which will help prevent the build up of debris at the next match.