Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting USPSA and IDPA?

Stafford

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

I had to read his post twice too. You got the all A's in 10 is a 10 HF part. Then he was saying A/C on every target. So 10 (A) and 10 (C) for 90 points in 9 seconds is still a 10 HF so they tie. Being down 10 in IDPA would double your score to 20 with a 10 second raw time.  It's a extreme example but it makes for easier math to explain. 

IDPA is basically a fixed HF of 2.5. Personally I've never shot a uspsa stage with that low of a HHF.

yep,,, well I guess 19, because the IDPA guy went down 1 each target but did it a second faster,, Either way 90% is a great score in USPSA but a horrible score in IDPA

Edited by Joe4d

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Dropping 10 points on a stage in IDPA is a basically a match ending stage. 

Yep, so what is it still 18 round max ? so 9 targets, 0 ,,, down 1...  drop 9 seconds..
USPSA,,, AC X 9 would only drop less than a second.

17 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Yep, so what is it still 18 round max ? so 9 targets, 0 ,,, down 1...  drop 9 seconds..
USPSA,,, AC X 9 would only drop less than a second.

Yeah, it's currently still 18 rounds. 

Another difference, uspsa you can't go below zero. And depending on the size of the stage you may not loose that many points from zeroing one.

IDPA there is really no limit has to how bad you can do on a stage even if it's a really small stage. And it's really not that hard to do either. 

I think for me shooting USPSA helps my IDPA far more than IDPA helping my USPSA.

In fact for me it seems that IDPA is at least a slight negative, and maybe worse, as far as my USPSA shooting is concerned.

Just a feeling I have; wouldn't have a clue how to quantify that...

Edited to add: I'm not talking about how the rules might confuse me. I don't have a problem with that.

It is the mindset thing more than anything else.

For IDPA I think I have better results using my "USPSA brain" and backing off just a hair to get my hits as opposed to in USPSA using my "IDPA brain" and trying to go faster.

I hope that makes sense...lol...

Edited by ddc

For me, I can go to an IDPA match, relax and have fun.  Mainly because there isn't much gaming to be done.  There is usually only 1 way to shoot the stage.  You just have to be the fastest accurate shooter to win.  USPSA = gaming and I've always sucked at gaming.  I blame it on shooting with a bunch of local GMs who told me how to shoot a stage for years.  

9 hours ago, ddc said:

In fact for me it seems that IDPA is at least a slight negative, and maybe worse, as far as my USPSA shooting is concerned.

I agree, I think there are some poor techniques that can work pretty well in IDPA but you start to see the time loss when you come to uspsa. Generally it's standing up to much in positions, poor entry's and exits and almost no ability to shoot on the move. Gun not up ready to shoot.

Good USPSA shooters going to IDPA will generally not struggle with the shooting parts, the big thing is do they have the visual patience to get their hits and how many penalties can the rack up. Both of those are easier to figure out than all the things IDPA shooters need to work on. 

This doesn't apply to all IDPA shooters, but the guys I can think of that are really good at IDPA before getting good at USPSA shot with USPSA guys who pointed out the movement stuff which just made them better at IDPA. 

12 hours ago, ddc said:

I think for me shooting USPSA helps my IDPA far more than IDPA helping my USPSA.

Just a feeling I have; wouldn't have a clue how to quantify that...

Edited to add: I'm not talking about how the rules might confuse me. I don't have a problem with that.

It is the mindset thing more than anything else.

For IDPA I think I have better results using my "USPSA brain" and backing off just a hair to get my hits as opposed to in USPSA using my "IDPA brain" and trying to go faster.

I hope that makes sense...lol...

I'm the opposite, in idpa and icore you can't make mistakes.  So I try to stay out of uspsa mode in icore and idpa.  At a uspsa match I push harder, or try to as a super senior now the bones creak a lot, and attack the course harder.

The best is to train to the point of getting a's as fast as you can, like a good gm.  Then shoot to that level everywhere.

I'll probably never really get there though.

• 3 months later...

I prefer IDPA. But the speed and movement is in USPSA. USPSA shooters out run the gun constantly and still score high. My goal for both are the same, shoot fast and shoot accurate. 

Edited by Twilk73