Jump to content

Shooting USPSA and IDPA?


Stafford
 Share

Recommended Posts

Anyone regularly switch back and forth between the two platforms? I've been shooting USPSA every weekend, but if I switch it up and shoot IDPA on two of the weekends, I can reduce travel.

 

The last time I shot an IDPA match, I continued to drop loaded mags out of habit from USPSA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to mix the two more but rarely shoot IDPA now. I find that if you really plan out your movement, shooting and reloads it isn't that hard to adjust. Now with them using fault lines it's even easier to shoot both. If you don't make a solid plan you may start to drop a mag at the wrong time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to shoot them almost equally over the course of both the month and the year. 30 minutes of dry fire in the garage before a match was enough for my physically to deal w the change. Usually looking at the first stage and being at the place itself was enough of a key for my mental change.

 

When  I was best at it I shot the same sp01 in ssp as prod with my mags in the same orientation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shoot both and don't find much issue going back and forth.  I prefer USPSA but the area IDPA matches are often closer and less of a commitment away from family.  They're really the same thing with a slightly different set of rules.  Someone once told me USPSA is like IDPA but fun and I find that holds true for the most part.  If your primary focus is USPSA, I wouldn't give much thought to doing USPSA stuff like dropping mags during an IDPA match.

Edited by Michael303
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are several IDPA matches and even more USPSA matches every month here in the greater Phoenix, AZ area, and many shooters participate in both disciplines.  Some regularly, some occasionally.  This includes some of the top shooters in the country.

 

While USPSA is certainly more popular, and individuals certainly have their preferences, when one can perform at or near the level of those top shooters, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference whether it is IDPA or USPSA . . . . . they are going to excel.

 

I'm a senior citizen with limited skill, and I personally prefer IDPA matches.  And ironically, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference whether it is IDPA or USPSA that I shoot . . . . . I'm going to strive to continuously improve my performance, but I'm never going to be described as someone who "excels" in those matches.

 

So . . . . try them both.  If you find you prefer one or the other, go with that one.  Both have things about them that will improve one's shooting skills.  Don't overthink it.  Enjoy yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, 45 Raven said:

There are several IDPA matches and even more USPSA matches every month here in the greater Phoenix, AZ area, and many shooters participate in both disciplines.  Some regularly, some occasionally.  This includes some of the top shooters in the country.

 

While USPSA is certainly more popular, and individuals certainly have their preferences, when one can perform at or near the level of those top shooters, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference whether it is IDPA or USPSA . . . . . they are going to excel.

 

I'm a senior citizen with limited skill, and I personally prefer IDPA matches.  And ironically, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference whether it is IDPA or USPSA that I shoot . . . . . I'm going to strive to continuously improve my performance, but I'm never going to be described as someone who "excels" in those matches.

 

So . . . . try them both.  If you find you prefer one or the other, go with that one.  Both have things about them that will improve one's shooting skills.  Don't overthink it.  Enjoy yourself.

What he said. I find with the current bullet prices I've focused more on IDPA, primarily because of the lower ammo count.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shoot both, and have for years. I'm primarily a USPSA shooter, I'll shoot 4-5 IDPA club matches a year and I basically shoot them in speed mode getting PE's like crazy and dropping points like they're going out of style. The last thing I care about is winning a local IDPA match. The IDPA majors can be a lot of fun so I like shooting those more than the club matches. I don't practice for them at all I just show up and shoot with different gear and go. Because I don't practice I don't go in expecting to win against the guys who focus on IDPA. I usually do fine and finish near the top, with a little effort it wouldn't be hard to go back and forth. But I do think you can do better putting your focus on the one you prefer. 

 

Next year I may change my approach, to put more focus on what I want to do well at. This year I probably shot 4 IDPA majors, that's around $500 in entry fee's and another $120 in gas, plus food and tolls etc. Typically no hotels involved. Then add on maybe 800 rounds of ammo. If I skip all the IDPA majors that $650 could buy me over 8k more bullets for practice. Plus all the ammo I save. This will give me more time for USPSA club matches and more ammo for weekly practice. This could result in me shooting better at the matches I really care about. 

 

You really just have to decide what you like, and what you're trying to get out of shooting. Then go from there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no doubt that the specialist will do better by staying in his specialty.

When I changed from IPSC to IDPA for reasons that seemed good at the time, I shot only IDPA so as to not have to keep up with two sets of rules and procedures at speed.  I was then a bit of a contender so it made a difference.

 

Now I am older and slower and I have found I can "program my brain" for the match du jour.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shoot both, am a RO/SO, and match-direct one of each type. I don't see a problem bouncing back and forth as it's all trigger time.

 

I think the best approach if you're going to shoot both is to learn the IDPA rulebook so you can perform well there... and then forget all of it for USPSA. Otherwise, the hardest thing is throttle control when changing between points-down and hit factor scoring. I shoot IDPA at about 85% of the speed I shoot USPSA - major scoring lets you disrespect targets a little more, whereas down-one's start adding up really quickly. 

Edited by matteekay
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have shot both IDPA and USPSA for several years and have never had any issues going back and forth between either.  I shoot different guns for for each sport and able to compete without any issues.  I like to shot and have fun shooting both IDPA and USPSA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2021 at 12:52 PM, Stafford said:

Anyone regularly switch back and forth between the two platforms? I've been shooting USPSA every weekend, but if I switch it up and shoot IDPA on two of the weekends, I can reduce travel.

 

The last time I shot an IDPA match, I continued to drop loaded mags out of habit from USPSA.

 

I do it

 

I don't have any problem forgetting how to play by their rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I went between the two for several years.  As stated above, it is trigger time.  In the last 2 years though I have decided to focus on IDPA because I can no longer deal with 2 rulebooks.  Also, USPSA is more athletic.  I am not in the mood anymore for that sort of thing.  The price of ammo has something to do with it too.  I have dropped from 5000 rounds a year to about 2000.  IDPA matches here tend to be lower round count, and I appreciate it more now.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I shoot both. I used to shoot mostly IDPA and some Steel challenge but my new area offers USPSA all the time  and steel when weather permits. So that would be two matches a month. IDPA is an hour and 15 minutes drive and sometimes the weather is rather crappy for the drive. My basic goal is trigger time to have reasonable accuracy, acceptable speed and manipulation skills  competency. I am too old to chase milliseconds, so sophisticated holster and gun gear (while fun) is not in my lane. I shoot an EDC gun in both with a reasonable EDC OWB holster.  If I can shoot an USPSA stage with 25 Alphas and 5 Charlies, I can find that successful.

 

I will shoot PCC in USPSA when the weather changes but the IDPA club doesn't allow it. I do miss the AR carbine matches as they don't seem to be around here. Also, the IDPA style shotgun matches.

 

I watch young guys run between positions, I can't do that, so I just enjoy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/11/2021 at 9:50 AM, TNK said:

I went between the two for several years.  As stated above, it is trigger time.  In the last 2 years though I have decided to focus on IDPA because I can no longer deal with 2 rulebooks.  Also, USPSA is more athletic.  I am not in the mood anymore for that sort of thing.  The price of ammo has something to do with it too.  I have dropped from 5000 rounds a year to about 2000.  IDPA matches here tend to be lower round count, and I appreciate it more now.  

Absolutely.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Use to shoot both equally 20-25 times a year,then dropped uspsa for past 5 years and IDPA down to a couple majors a year,

but still follow groups and blogs. Always found it funny shooters complain about the 39 page IDPA rule book compared to the122 page uspsa rulebook. Still enjoy the uspsa blogs on how 3-5 people argue over the same rule over and over again and 3-6 ways to the interpretation of the rule.. IDPA guys just seemed to learn the rules and pretty much stopped trying to argue and just shoot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

This brings back memories. Many years ago, I spent about a year going back and forth between the two. It was generally ok, though there were always those times when the rules from one game would slip over into the other. Hiding behind cover in USPA matches or dropping loaded mags in IDPA matches, etc. Always good for a few laughs (and the occasional PE, in the case of IDPA) during those matches.

In the end, if you want to be the best you can be at one of them - just focus on that one and then figure the other is just trigger time/practice under pressure.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...