Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hammer won't stay cocked?

davsco

so 2nd stage today, my hammer (sti 2011 with double sided safety) stopped locking back after shooting first target.  so not sure what is causing that.

trying to take the gun apart, but even with the hammer held back manually, i can't get the safety high enough to pull it out, normally halfway between off and engaged it isn't too hard to pull out.

thoughts & ideas greatly appreciated!

ok so working from bottom (msh) up i got everything disassembled...

when i put it all back together without the slide, with manual cocking, the hammer started locking back periodically but then 100%.

but with slide attached, if i rack it slowly it locks back most of the time, but almost none of the time when i rack it somewhat quickly.

i don't see any damage or missing to the sear or hammer but maybe the pics and/or narrative will help someone please diagnose.

sear1.jpg

sear2.jpg

sear3.jpg

sear4.jpg

Edited by davsco

i will check.  this is a dvc open in 38 super.  i've had it since they came out and shoot it in a handful of matches each year so it hasn't been shot a whole lot.  trigger etc is all bone-stock with no adjustments, unless something came loose etc.

i have a couple of the brazos trigger kits (hammer, sear etc) in some of my other sti's and may try one of those in this gun to see what that does.

9 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

Make sure the grip screws are tight and it’s not shifting on the frame. If the grip is loose it will cause all kinds of strange trigger issues.

you, sir, are the f'n MAN!!!!  left one was a little loose as was the one in front of the trigger guard.  blue loctited and tightened all three and 100 racks no issues.  now, time to do that to its other stablemates...

Edited by davsco

2 hours ago, davsco said:

you, sir, are the f'n MAN!!!!  left one was a little loose as was the one in front of the trigger guard.  blue loctited and tightened all three and 100 racks no issues.  now, time to do that to its other stablemates...

On the 2011 Platform making sure that the grip screws are tight should be a frequent check. Any time you clean the gun double check the grip screws.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:32 PM, CHA-LEE said:

On the 2011 Platform making sure that the grip screws are tight should be a frequent check. Any time you clean the gun double check the grip screws.

After you have written it at least 1000 times 😀 you should ask the moderator to put it every day in the 2011 thread automatically before any question in any questions about 2011.😉

On 8/23/2021 at 8:43 AM, davsco said:

well, you were temporarily the MAN...  hammer wouldn't stay back during 3rd stage today.  the loctited grip screws were still tight.  tomorrow i'll check for a cracked grip (it's the factory dvc stippled grip) and take it from there.

Hello, make sure you have the overtravel screw so that you have free play after the hammer drops. If not back out the screw 1 full turn and try it again. Also check that you have the sear spring in the correct position and it has not slid off the sear. Tahnks, Eric

not the greatest pic, but would you say the sear spring is centered correctly and up high enough?  where the bottom of the leaf spring plugs into the frame, there is maybe a playing card width of play up and down (with the leaf spring in that slot).

sear spring.jpg

so where the leaf spring bottom fits into the slot in the grip, i wrapped one layer of tape around the bottom of that slot, that at least in theory should keep the leaf spring stable and as high as possible.  a layer of tape isn't much, and who knows how long that will stay in place, but after re-assembling, i did another 100 racks and the hammer stayed locked back until i pulled the trigger.  is this just temporary luck again?

19 hours ago, davsco said:

now that it's "working" I'll have to take it apart and check that sear leg.

when installed and closed up, is there a way for the sear leg to get under the sear?

it shouldn't be able to but its worth playing with, install all the parts with the grip safety off (like in your picture and see if you have enough room to get the sear to move to the left enough to clear the sear.

On 9/2/2021 at 3:02 PM, MikeBurgess said:

it shouldn't be able to but its worth playing with, install all the parts with the grip safety off (like in your picture and see if you have enough room to get the sear to move to the left enough to clear the sear.

took apart and reinstalled everything.  poked the leaf spring left, right, up and down and it seemed to stay put.  racked and 'fired' a bunch again with zero issues.

• 1 month later...

so after getting it back working a 3rd time above, i just decided to send it back to sti and they sent me a prepaid shipping label.  they looked at it today and i guess played with the leaf spring a little.  says it's working fine (it was working when i sent it to them) and they're sending it back to me.  i really hoped there would be an obvious fix (they said the hammer/sear engagement was fine) but i guess not.  hoping the little tweaking they did fixes this issue.