Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What ultrasonic cleaner solution do you use for gun parts?

4 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Are these ultrasonic cleaners powerful enough to clean a compensator with carbon in it?

How about lead?

I use The Dip in a sealed container in my Harbor Freight Ultrasonic Cleaner.  50% Peroxide and 50% Vinegar.  It will help break down the lead in about 20 minutes and then it will easily pour out or you can use dental picks to dig out what's left.  When you are done using The Dip put your compensator in a mix of water and soap.  Make sure you wear gloves.

I use MPro-7 in it to clean my magazines and then let them dry out on a cloth.  

4 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Make sure you wear gloves.

And that, right there, is how you know this solvent will actually do something. 👍

I’ve been wrenching on cars for 20+ years. Long enough to remember the old “I’ll melt your hands off” solvents we used in our parts washers that could get anything spotless.

The new water-based ones don’t dissolve your gloves… but they also don’t dissolve anything else.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

7 hours ago, AzShooter said:

50% Peroxide and 50% Vinegar.

Be very careful using this mixture.  It essentially is Peracetic Acid, so make sure you are familiar with the MSDS before using.  Use a mask or a high ventilated area as it is harmful if inhaled.  At a minimum try to have the mixture exposed to atmosphere as minimal as possible to prevent vapor formation.  If you do use a ultra sonic bath make sure it is in a sealed container, as the vibration will make more vapor form from the mixture.  

I tried the Hornady and found that it didn't do the job to my satisfaction.

I've been using the Lyman Turbo Sonic Steel solution mixed to the label, with excellent results for 12 or so years.

• 3 months later...
On 8/20/2021 at 2:31 AM, AzShooter said:

I use The Dip in a sealed container in my Harbor Freight Ultrasonic Cleaner.  50% Peroxide and 50% Vinegar.  It will help break down the lead in about 20 minutes and then it will easily pour out or you can use dental picks to dig out what's left.  When you are done using The Dip put your compensator in a mix of water and soap.  Make sure you wear gloves.

I use MPro-7 in it to clean my magazines and then let them dry out on a cloth.  

I just bought an Ultrasonic cleaner.  Can you explain how you use a sealed container in the cleaner?  Are you putting a sealed container of the "The Dip" and just setting it in the tub of the cleaner?

Thanks

On 8/21/2021 at 7:22 AM, RePete said:

I tried the Hornady and found that it didn't do the job to my satisfaction.

I've been using the Lyman Turbo Sonic Steel solution mixed to the label, with excellent results for 12 or so years.

No problems with aluminum, poly, plastic using Lymans?

1 hour ago, skip62 said:

I just bought an Ultrasonic cleaner.  Can you explain how you use a sealed container in the cleaner?  Are you putting a sealed container of the "The Dip" and just setting it in the tub of the cleaner?

Thanks

I put the sealed container in the tub and the tub has about 1 inch of water in it.  Otherwise the plastic will burn.