Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Use Lithium Grease on Your Glock Transfer Bar/Connector Interface?

Flea

Greases are unnecessary, especially for "gun people" like most on this Forum.  They are notorious for attracting and trapping gunk that gets nearby, so for most of us, the disadvantages would likely outweigh any benefit.  For some of my friends who like to use their match guns as a trial of the "Million Round Gun" testimonials, it may not be suitable because of that propensity.

The factory uses a smear of the anti-seize lube there on initial assembly, but that is to assist in the break-in process.  It's not intended for permanent use.  A few clean/lube cycles will clear that out.  A gun that comes in for service will get a little light viscosity grease (TW-25) there because there's no telling when it'll ever see lube again, since most folks haven't read an Instruction Manual since the Carter administration....

The regular application of one drop of oil to the Connector is the recommendation in the Instruction Manual.  That new drop of oil will act to flush away contaminants and still lube the interface.

As long as you're cleaning the Trigger Mechanism Housing relatively regularly and removing the old gunked-up grease, using a grease wouldn't harm anything, but I don't think it'll take a 4# trigger down to 3, so where's the advantage?

1 hour ago, Braxton1 said:

As long as you're cleaning...

Yeah. Right.

You know me better than that!

Still, I only use a light oil on the connector as recommended.

I've 'repaired' a lot of Glock pistols whose malfunctions were caused by being over-lubed.

2 hours ago, Braxton1 said:

…As long as you're cleaning the Trigger Mechanism Housing relatively regularly…

By regularly, you mean at least annually, right???

On the very rare occasions when I do clean my Glock, I put a drop of oil on that part of the connector, as well as a drop at the back of each slide rail and let it run down the slide. But I’m sure that all wears off at about the 6 month mark and then it gets run dry until the next cleaning. 

2 hours ago, RePete said:

A small drop of Breakfree CLP.  No grease as Braxton1 said.

Interesting...I wonder why Johnny Glock suggests otherwise.

1 hour ago, Flea said:

Interesting...I wonder why Johnny Glock suggests otherwise.

No idea.  As stated above, grease in general is a poor choice for firearms.  And if you were going to use grease, there are far better choices than lithium type.  

6 hours ago, Braxton1 said:

Greases are unnecessary, especially for "gun people" like most on this Forum.  They are notorious for attracting and trapping gunk that gets nearby, so for most of us, the disadvantages would likely outweigh any benefit.  For some of my friends who like to use their match guns as a trial of the "Million Round Gun" testimonials, it may not be suitable because of that propensity.

The factory uses a smear of the anti-seize lube there on initial assembly, but that is to assist in the break-in process.  It's not intended for permanent use.  A few clean/lube cycles will clear that out.  A gun that comes in for service will get a little light viscosity grease (TW-25) there because there's no telling when it'll ever see lube again, since most folks haven't read an Instruction Manual since the Carter administration....

The regular application of one drop of oil to the Connector is the recommendation in the Instruction Manual.  That new drop of oil will act to flush away contaminants and still lube the interface.

As long as you're cleaning the Trigger Mechanism Housing relatively regularly and removing the old gunked-up grease, using a grease wouldn't harm anything, but I don't think it'll take a 4# trigger down to 3, so where's the advantage?

glocks come with an instruction manual??? LOL cant say ive ever read it.