Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Staccato frame question

matteekay

Staccato was having a range day at my local shop so I got to play with a bunch of their guns. I'd never seen the single-stack models before and it made me wonder - do they use the same frame as the double-stack models? Or is the mag opening different?

3 hours ago, ARac40 said:

What did you think of the pistols? Which was your favorite?

They're all nice. I wouldn't spend $4k on the one with the slide-mounted optic and comp; there are much better options for that much money.

23 minutes ago, matteekay said:

Right, but is the frame opening different?

I don't understand your question---the "opening" is in the grip module, which is obviously different.

As for the metal frame itself 2011s were designed from day 1 to use 1911 top ends which is why the magazines taper so much, so at the top they are the same as a single stack mag.

If you're thinking about buying a single stack gun and putting a double stack grip module on it that would entail a lot of work.

The single stack grip modules are attached differently which includes the use of an adhesive and the single stack guns come with a card stating removal of the grip module voids the warranty.

3 hours ago, FALAR said:

I don't understand your question---the "opening" is in the grip module, which is obviously different.

As for the metal frame itself 2011s were designed from day 1 to use 1911 top ends which is why the magazines taper so much, so at the top they are the same as a single stack mag.

If you're thinking about buying a single stack gun and putting a double stack grip module on it that would entail a lot of work.

The single stack grip modules are attached differently which includes the use of an adhesive and the single stack guns come with a card stating removal of the grip module voids the warranty.

I guess I needed to clarify that I meant the opening in the frame and not the grip...

Either way, I went and talked to the rep. They use a different frame for the single- and-double stack models. It seems sort of silly - what's the point of a modular frame if you're going to be dedicated to one setup or the other? The delta in frame width is so minimal that an ambi safety makes a bigger difference.

And then selling a modular setup but stating the separating the components voids the warranty? Okay, sure Staccato... 

Hello, STI used to make a plastic grip that took 1911 style magazines. It used shims on the inside of the grip and a special magazine release to retain the 1911 magazines. I wish I still had the two that I had or could find who made the magazine release. Thanks, Eric

1 minute ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, STI used to make a plastic grip that took 1911 style magazines. It used shims on the inside of the grip and a special magazine release to retain the 1911 magazines. I wish I still had the two that I had or could find who made the magazine release. Thanks, Eric

Their current single stack gun-the Staccato C----uses 1911 mags also.  So did the R but it's been discontinued.

They used a purpose built plastic grip this time around though.

2 hours ago, shred said:

I know for sure you can't swap frames from a Staccato C and double-stack.  Why that is I have no idea, but I don't see much point to it either.

The frame widths are ever-so-slightly different. And...

2 hours ago, waktasz said:

Ability to have a two division gun for the price of a plastic grip would be nice

This.

Chet Whistle https://www.cwaccessories.com/product-page/cwa-wide-body-single-stack-grip

makes a single stack grip that dropped on two different older STI frames that I have.  I'm using it for a .22lr conversion with GSG .22lr magazines and it works great for that, BUT I have NOT tried it with real single stack 9mm, .40 or .45 magazines with a centerfire upper on the frame.

Nolan