Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New custom open build - loose slide/frame

screwj

32 minutes ago, Michael303 said:

but that could affect the lower barrel lug fit. 

No it couldn't.  The added material would only fill the slide ways.  The proper fix is a new frame machined to fit the existing slide ways.

5 minutes ago, zzt said:

No it couldn't.  The added material would only fill the slide ways.  The proper fix is a new frame machined to fit the existing slide ways.

Is it possible to redo the frame, destroy the existing one, and serialize the new one with the same #?

Edited by screwj

1 hour ago, screwj said:

Is it possible to redo the frame, destroy the existing one, and serialize the new one with the same #?

Yes.  That is exactly what should happen.  I had it done myself.  That way you are not paying transfer fees again.  Also, the mfg can send it back directly to you if the ser # is the same.

5 hours ago, screwj said:

I talked to the builder and the next steps made me feel much better about my situation.  The builder said it should definitely not be that way and that he will do everything to make sure I am 100% happy, whether he has to build a new gun or not.  They are sending me a label to send it back with no additional cost on my part and that he would try to get it fixed and back to me as a priority.

I appreciated the fact that he did not question me or my judgement on the phone; he said to send it back and he will do everything he can to make sure it is perfect.  He also asked if there was any other changes I could possibly want to include, which I did not expect.  So far so good, I look forward to seeing the end result.

This is the way it should be handled.  Kudos to you for allowing them the time to get back to you and do the right thing without trashing on them.  Don’t know if this was a big name or small builder but either way it should never went out that way.  How they handle /  correct this will go a long way in telling you the quality of their business.  When you get it back critique the hell out of it and run it a bunch before checking  it again for anything abnormal while you have their attention...

On 5/2/2021 at 10:37 PM, Silverscooby27 said:

Special jam/misfeed prevention upgrade. You should be thankful. I guess the saying is correct, don’t buy an open gun from any company that starts with an “A” 😂

tips for limited ?🤣😂

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

NO

BS.  I just had that done with a warranty replacement frame for an Open gun.  When it was finished the manufacturer sent it directly back to me.

22 hours ago, zzt said:

BS.  I just had that done with a warranty replacement frame for an Open gun.  When it was finished the manufacturer sent it directly back to me.

I also had a frame replaced, they added an "A" at the end of my original serial number. I'm only going by this note they sent me.

frame.jpg

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I'm only going by this note they sent me.

The wording of that law applies to complete firearms.  Your mfg. was playing it safe.  I've been told by several 07 FFLs it is not required for a warranty replacement.  You do not end up with two complete firearms with identical serial numbers.  Since the frame is being replaced because it was defective (ie. non-functional), and standard practice is to destroy the non-functional frame, there should be no issue.

On 5/4/2021 at 11:40 AM, zzt said:

Help me with what I'm missing.  Isn't filling up the slide ways to a proper clearance the thing that needs to happen to eliminate the play?  What does fitting a new frame achieve that welding up and remilling the existing frame doesn't? 

Either way, I'm assuming it's tricky to maintain the barrel fit when the rail dimensions change which was my primary point.  Is there a way to maintain the lower lug to slide stop fit when they do?

3 hours ago, Michael303 said:

Help me with what I'm missing.  Isn't filling up the slide ways to a proper clearance the thing that needs to happen to eliminate the play?  What does fitting a new frame achieve that welding up and remilling the existing frame doesn't? 

Either way, I'm assuming it's tricky to maintain the barrel fit when the rail dimensions change which was my primary point.  Is there a way to maintain the lower lug to slide stop fit when they do?

You cannot weld without applying extreme heat.  That affects the hardness and temper of the steel.  The labor involved would cost as much as a new frame.  Since it was a new gun, why not start with a new frame. 

If the slide stop hole in the new frame is correct, there should be no barrel fitting required.  At worst you would have to remove a thou or two from the bottom lugs, or use a shorter barrel link if the hole is off the other way.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

You cannot weld without applying extreme heat.  That affects the hardness and temper of the steel.  The labor involved would cost as much as a new frame.  Since it was a new gun, why not start with a new frame. 

If the slide stop hole in the new frame is correct, there should be no barrel fitting required.  At worst you would have to remove a thou or two from the bottom lugs, or use a shorter barrel link if the hole is off the other way.

Ok, that makes sense now how the barrel could be adjusted.  Thanks.

My understanding of micro laser welding the rails is that it doesn't impart much heat and that it's cool enough to touch immediately after.  It's explained pretty well in this article.  https://americanhandgunner.com/our-experts/micro-welding/ 

I'm not sure what the builders cost would be to fit a new frame but I was quoted 100-125 for laser welding a frame.  That being said, considering the price of the gun a new frame might be the right thing for the builder to do.

9 minutes ago, Michael303 said:

...a new frame might be the right thing for the builder to do.

At the very least. . .along with his personal cell phone number and a quart of 18-year old brown liquor of the customers choosing.

1 hour ago, Michael303 said:

My understanding of micro laser welding the rails is that it doesn't impart much heat and that it's cool enough to touch immediately after.  It's explained pretty well in this article.  https://americanhandgunner.com/our-experts/micro-welding/ 

I suspect very few custom gunsmiths have that technology.  And if they had to send it out to be done, they wouldn't know what they got until it was returned.  I don't get the hang up.  The quickest, safest and most desirable method is a new frame.  100% control. 

A quick update: the builder has said it should never have left the shop like that and he will be rebuilding the whole top end with a new slide/barrel.  I will trust that he knows best on how to fix it; he will expedite the build so now it's just a waiting game to see the result.

On 5/13/2021 at 3:17 AM, screwj said:

A quick update: the builder has said it should never have left the shop like that and he will be rebuilding the whole top end with a new slide/barrel.  I will trust that he knows best on how to fix it; he will expedite the build so now it's just a waiting game to see the result.

Hhhhmmmm....... do you really trust him to do it right the second time around? I'm surprised he didnt say it was an issue with the barrel. 

I do hope for your sake the rebuild is better though. I hate to see people get screwed over.

Edited by Bakerjd