Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New custom open build - loose slide/frame

screwj

So I just received a custom open build from a high-end builder.  I am hoping you guys can educate me on what I should reasonably expect or not, but when I check the overall build, the slide/frame is loose on lockup.  I understand that accuracy is not a result of slide/frame fit, rather it is a result of barrel lockup and slide/barrel fit.  However, this seems way out-of-spec for a 8k+ build.  Because I received it this past Friday, I couldn't get a hold of the builder, probably not until tomorrow.

I am hoping to get some opinions and some of your experiences with custom builds to see if this is normal, or not.

Here is a video of the slide/frame fit on lockup:

Edited by screwj

20 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

Special jam/misfeed prevention upgrade. You should be thankful. I guess the saying is correct, don’t buy an open gun from any company that starts with an “A” 😂

what is it?  AS T I ?😉

That is definitely not right.  If it were in the raw waiting for chrome plating that would still be excessive.  If it is that loose now, think about 20k rnds later.... 

39 minutes ago, NoSteel said:

That is definitely not right.  If it were in the raw waiting for chrome plating that would still be excessive.  If it is that loose now, think about 20k rnds later.... 

To say I am disappointed is understated.  I am really hoping the builder will make it right; I have other 2011 platforms that do not do this, but who knows, I don't know everything.

I was curious so I drug out my Springfield TRP factory gun with several thousand rounds on it.  The gun in the OP looks to have about twice the play as my TRP.  I can't say that I would be happy with it for 3000, much less 8000.  Will be interesting to see what the builder says

It is definitely not right, but it could be a simple fix.  When you press the rear of the slide down the fit looks good, except the height of the frame rails is a lot less than the height of the slide ways.  That's not good, but not necessarily fatal either.  2011s run on the bottom of the slide and the frame rails.  The fact that yours is springing up at the rear means there is something amiss elsewhere.  For instance, too long a barrel link could do this in extreme circumstances.  Possibly a lot of barrel spring. I would not accept that in a 3k gun let alone an 8k gun.  Send it back.  For 8k everything should be perfect.

BTW, don't let anyone tell you you need that slop to make the gun run.  The Open gun I just built has zero discernable play up, down or side to side and runs 169 PF with a 10 lb. recoil spring with 100% reliability.

Edited by zzt

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it.  I will keep you guys posted on the progress.  I don't want to intentionally make anyone look bad here, and I need to give the builder a chance to address it.

Edited by screwj

3 hours ago, screwj said:

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it.  I will keep you guys posted on the progress.  I don't want to intentionally make anyone look bad here, and I need to give the builder a chance to address it.

That's definitely fair.  It's disappointing that it would even leave the shop like that though.

Unfortunately I don't see how that could be fixed properly without doing something like microwelding and recutting the frame rails.

On 5/2/2021 at 2:37 PM, Silverscooby27 said:

Special jam/misfeed prevention upgrade. You should be thankful. I guess the saying is correct, don’t buy an open gun from any company that starts with an “A” 😂

Bingo!

I talked to the builder and the next steps made me feel much better about my situation.  The builder said it should definitely not be that way and that he will do everything to make sure I am 100% happy, whether he has to build a new gun or not.  They are sending me a label to send it back with no additional cost on my part and that he would try to get it fixed and back to me as a priority.

I appreciated the fact that he did not question me or my judgement on the phone; he said to send it back and he will do everything he can to make sure it is perfect.  He also asked if there was any other changes I could possibly want to include, which I did not expect.  So far so good, I look forward to seeing the end result.

56 minutes ago, screwj said:

I talked to the builder and the next steps made me feel much better about my situation.  The builder said it should definitely not be that way and that he will do everything to make sure I am 100% happy, whether he has to build a new gun or not.  They are sending me a label to send it back with no additional cost on my part and that he would try to get it fixed and back to me as a priority.

I appreciated the fact that he did not question me or my judgement on the phone; he said to send it back and he will do everything he can to make sure it is perfect.  He also asked if there was any other changes I could possibly want to include, which I did not expect.  So far so good, I look forward to seeing the end result.

That's great.  I'm curious how it'll be fixed. 

The only option I could see is adding material to the rails and milling them back down to proper clearance but that could affect the lower barrel lug fit.  Be sure to check the barrel to slide stop fit when it's returned and confirm how much contact you're getting.