Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

W231 and 135gn coated bullets info

Bakerjd

Well I have a pound of W231 I just picked up today at the LGS. Everything I've found says with a 124/5gn FMJ or HP I should he around 4.5gn of powder. I cant find any info on using 135gn or much info using coated bullets. Anyone have a load that I can start with and tweak from there? I'm thinking I want to start at 4.2gn up to 4.5gn and see what it gets on a chrono. 

I also have Ramshot Silhouette and Accurate #5 on hand to try out. Basicly I've snagged what I can find currently. 

Thanks,

Josh 

22 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. The help was great. Didnt know info was top secret now. 

At the risk of getting flamed...

I shot 135gr coated (actually they were powder coated) over 4.0gr 231 for many years. They chrono'd 1009 fps out of a 6" gun. Really accurate and knocked over plates with authority. I shot lots of 135 Bayous also with the same result. Your gun will be different. I would start with 4.0 and work up on a chronograph to where you want it.

Muzzle flip was down and that load that I shot was very controllable.

Hope it helps.

Now you have a secret too...

4 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Yeah I looked at that already. Wanted real world experience.  

Not sure how much more real you can get. They loaded and test the loads then published the results for the exact combo you are using.

1 hour ago, Kokeman said:

Not sure how much more real you can get. They loaded and test the loads then published the results for the exact combo you are using.

They used a 4" barrel for starters. And different OAL as well. So no not the exact combo. Also I dont know if they had polygonal rifling, a worn or brand new barrel ect... you can read lots of info on reloading and find people going from 3.3gn to 4.5gn and above. And, on top of that I was nearly asking for personal experience as are MANY threads in the forum. In fact I'd say about 90% are someone asking about something that's been done before by someone. I didnt expect an answer with a sly remark about just reading the info on the manufacturer's website. s#!t anyone loading 9 major is far exceeding any  published load data by the manufacturer. Are you guys gonna tell them to go look in the manual? 

Thanks for your info @Dr. Phil. I was thinking of starting at 3.8 but considering you were running a 6" barrel and that would get even higher velocity. So I'll start at 4.0 and go up. 

2 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

135 gr BBI coated + 3.8 gr HP38 = 999 to 1021 fps depending on the gun, the weather, and how I hold my mouth.  

I found the same thing.

Shot that 4.0 load of 231 out of 3 1/2", 4", 5" and 6" guns. I think the low velocity was 950s in the 3".

Still a great all around load.

guess I have to make a 7" gun just to see what it gets me...

Can’t we all just get along...

Should get you in the ball park.

I know people love em, but I couldn’t get anything resembling accuracy from them. Tried several powders and multiple COAL. Admittedly I don’t put a ton of effort in, since I didn’t see improvement. Decided to stick with 124/125gr.  Just a cut and paste, you can ignore my little notes to myself.

Gen 3 Gucci G34 Agency Arms Barrel.  

RMR 135 gr FP MatchWinner👎🏻

1.090”

3.6 grs 982 FPS 19.5 SD / 70 ES (promise)

3.8 grs 1042 FPS 8.5 SD / 26 ES

1.100”

Titegroup G34 Agency 

3.6 grs 987 FPS 14.9 SD / 67 ES

3.8 grs 1032 FPS 13.6 SD / 68 ES

1.110”

3.6 grs 963 FPS 15.4 SD / 47 ES

3.8 grs 1021 FPS 11.0 SD / 30 ES

1.120”

3.6 grs 960 FPS 12.2 SD / 37 ES

3.9 grs 1027 FPS 8.1 SD / 28 ES

1.130”

3.9 grs 1025 FPS 13.9 SD / 50 ES (FTF)

HP-38 G34 Agency 

1.120”

4.2 grs 1028 FPS 16.4 SD / 52 ES (promise)

10 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Can there be much difference between 124gr and 135gr bullets? I would just start at a 124 light load, and work up from there.

I shot some BBI 135’s years ago and they were indeed softer shooting than 125’s. Not quite sluggish like 147’s but softer.

While somewhat similar to 231, IMR 7625 was a bit slower but produced good results with a 135 RMR MW in my XD. This was off hand at 15 yards. I have found that usually .2-.3 grains less of 231 gives similar results. 

573CD9D2-CDA2-4EFC-B374-DE4A4C6A8A5F.jpeg