Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Last round feeding failure

lroy

Recently had an issue where my match mags consistently failed to feed on the 20th round. The mag bodies were in spec.

Is this simply a worn spring issue? How often do you replace yours?

1 hour ago, Furrly said:

Can you elaborate? 

Sure. 

The last round of the magazine does not feed. 

This mainly was an issue in a match with multiple 20 round stages. I got stuck with 3 standing reloads.

Edited by lroy

2 hours ago, lroy said:

Sure. 

The last round of the magazine does not feed. 

This mainly was an issue in a match with multiple 20 round stages. I got stuck with 3 standing reloads.

How is it not feeding? 

Follower getting stuck before reaching the top of the magazine?  Slide stop engaged before last round is chambered?  Nose dive into the feed ramp?  3 point jam?  etc

Does it fail to feed if you load the mags with only one or two rounds?

Can you replicate it by hand cycling the gun or can you only replicate during a firing cycle?  

Without that info, it'd be difficult to actually diagnose... but if you have a new mag spring, that would be the 1st thing to try.

Someone gave me the advice to remove the springs and stretch them out. Worked well enough to have no malfunctions, so I assume this was spring related.

Not sure how long term of a fix that is, but it fixed the feeding issues.

4 minutes ago, lroy said:

Someone gave me the advice to remove the springs and stretch them out. Worked well enough to have no malfunctions, so I assume this was spring related.

Not sure how long term of a fix that is, but it fixed the feeding issues.

It won't be very long term at all. Stretching the spring is only a temporary fix. Get new springs ( +10%, if they have them.)

On 3/20/2021 at 8:28 AM, RangerTrace said:

ISMI 11 coil.  Done.  

Was about to order new springs. Previously was using Grams springs and follower. You recommend an ISMI spring instead?

46 minutes ago, lroy said:

Was about to order new springs. Previously was using Grams springs and follower. You recommend an ISMI spring instead?

Are you chasing capacity or reliability?  Grams combo is a good one for sure.  I replace the stock STI springs with ISMI and leave everything else alone.  But I'm fine with 17/20 rounds.

If you go with cap adding springs, change em out once a year or so. Can vary based on number of mags you have.

Had bad luck with grams in my STI 40. Always preferred Dawson followers ISMI springs and Dawson SNL pads. 19 re loadable 20 start.

I had 2 mags (rescomp rings a bell) with Bowlen guts and pads that gave me 21 or 22 rounds. ( I dont recall)  If I needed to get fancy and do a no reload stage...
Other wise if you are reloading,, 19/19  21/19 will give you a ton of options on a 32 round max COF..
IIRC the nationals I did in 2010 ish had 18 stages.. I think I reloaded 3 times whole match.

I should sell these rescomp setups highest capicity 40's I ever saw... Used to get gauged every now and then.

5 hours ago, Joe4d said:

If you go with cap adding springs, change em out once a year or so. Can vary based on number of mags you have.

Had bad luck with grams in my STI 40. Always preferred Dawson followers ISMI springs and Dawson SNL pads. 19 re loadable 20 start.

I had 2 mags (rescomp rings a bell) with Bowlen guts and pads that gave me 21 or 22 rounds. ( I dont recall)  If I needed to get fancy and do a no reload stage...
Other wise if you are reloading,, 19/19  21/19 will give you a ton of options on a 32 round max COF..
IIRC the nationals I did in 2010 ish had 18 stages.. I think I reloaded 3 times whole match.

I should sell these rescomp setups highest capicity 40's I ever saw... Used to get gauged every now and then.

You have 21+1 mags?

On 3/22/2021 at 11:02 PM, Joe4d said:

yep

Pipe down on them rescomp mags lol. Although these days I have a couple 21rnd (not reloadable) gen 2 sti mags. And they pass mag guage. Although I havent seen limited mags gauged in a LONG time.