Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squib Rounds

Flea

Rule 5.7.2.1 I believe says after the start signal, if you suspect a squib round, you can't clear it b/c you will be DQ'd. Am I correct? If so, what does one do when they believe they have a squib? Thanks

5.7.2.1 also says during a course of fire. You stop, clear the gun, go to a safe area and beat it out with a hammer. 

Your just not allowed to try to clear it while running the stage

43 minutes ago, jwhittin said:

To answer your question, you stop and tell the range officer.  They will assist you in making sure the gun is safe.  As Kraj said, its a DQ if the competitor tries to clear the squib during the course of fire.

Not necessarily. If I as an RO saw the round impact downrange I won’t say anything. If you want to stop that’s fine. Fortunately vast majority of squibs are primer only and very obvious and I would stop you.

1 hour ago, jwhittin said:

To answer your question, you stop and tell the range officer.  They will assist you in making sure the gun is safe.  As Kraj said, its a DQ if the competitor tries to clear the squib during the course of fire.

How is a stage scored when there is a squib issue?

10 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

as shot. including all applicable mikes and failure-to-shoot-at penalties. It kind of sucks when that happens.

The proverbial punch in the face.

28 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

if they dont have n accurate time for your stage you will be required to reshoot it. 

But doesn't rule something point something say "if a squib is found, no reshoot "

I would be more specific,  but my phone doesn't work good lol

1 hour ago, RJH said:

But doesn't rule something point something say "if a squib is found, no reshoot "

I would be more specific,  but my phone doesn't work good lol

if you stop a shooter and they have a squib score as shot, if no squib reshoot. 

now score as shot, but you do not have a valid time so you can't score as shot so you only have 1 remedy that is to reshoot. If you have a no time or a time you know is incorrect what score could you give the competitor?

yes it is possible to have a competitor luck out and get a free reshoot, unlikely but it can and does happen. 

13 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

if you stop a shooter and they have a squib score as shot, if no squib reshoot. 

now score as shot, but you do not have a valid time so you can't score as shot so you only have 1 remedy that is to reshoot. If you have a no time or a time you know is incorrect what score could you give the competitor?

yes it is possible to have a competitor luck out and get a free reshoot, unlikely but it can and does happen. 

If first shot is a squib I give 0.00. If squib is mid stage I may count shot on the timer but the time showing will be correct in most cases.

30 minutes ago, Sarge said:

If first shot is a squib I give 0.00. If squib is mid stage I may count shot on the timer but the time showing will be correct in most cases.

one of the things that really bugs me is when RO's screw over everyone else in the division by somehow losing track of the time when the shooter has a squib or other stage-ending malfunction.

that depends. If there are 8 or more shots left in a 32-round stage, it's going to be a zero no matter *what* the time is, so I don't stress too much about it. nuthin from nuthin leaves nuthin. ya gotta have something if you wanna score points on the stage.

On 2/23/2021 at 6:01 PM, motosapiens said:

one of the things that really bugs me is when RO's screw over everyone else in the division by somehow losing track of the time when the shooter has a squib or other stage-ending malfunction.

that depends. If there are 8 or more shots left in a 32-round stage, it's going to be a zero no matter *what* the time is, so I don't stress too much about it. nuthin from nuthin leaves nuthin. ya gotta have something if you wanna score points on the stage.

that is called cheating, but some people seem to think it is OK, USPSA kicks people out of USPSA For cheating, pulling this should be no different, same thing as when a RO purposely "bumps" into a shooter when they have a problem, so they get a reshoot, this is cheating and it should result in a ban from USPSA.

1 hour ago, DirkD said:

that is called cheating, but some people seem to think it is OK, USPSA kicks people out of USPSA For cheating, pulling this should be no different, same thing as when a RO purposely "bumps" into a shooter when they have a problem, so they get a reshoot, this is cheating and it should result in a ban from USPSA.

I don't believe he was insinuating that the RO was intentionally messing up the time.

But it is common for less experienced ROs to forget about their job to score the stage when they start dealing with a shooter with a squib. They should directly after STOP record the time then deal with the squib, unfortunately I have seen this mistake and the resultant reshoot, RO put timer under his arm so he could help deal with the squib, one the gun was fixed he had no idea what time was or if it had reset.