Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 identification help

tnoble

LGS has a 627-5 pc that I would describe as black stainless two tone. 5", bead sight, unfluted  stainless cylinder, no comp. Pretty sharp looking gun!  It's listed as used like new condition. It appears to be shot very little, very clean, there is not a ring on the cylinder.  I have never seen this configuration, can't find any info or pictures? There holding it for me until tomorrow, wanted to see if anyone had any info. Did it come out of the performance center that way or is it someone's franken gun?

Thanks, T 

I haven't seen one like what you describe, but I'm not a collector so I don't look for every weird small run variant of their guns.

My $.02,  if you like it and it is a price your willing to pay buy it and shoot the crap out of it.

Also my $.02, whether or not it came from Smith or the Smith Performance center in its current configuration or is a home parts swap Franken gun really has no bearing on how well put together it is, I have seen pictures of PC guns with the cylinder flutes so off center between the chambers that I am amazed they cylinder didn't split when test fired, I have also seen PC guns that will not reliably fire factory ammo with the factory 12 plus pound trigger pull. Look at every gun you buy as a gun kit that they screwed together to ship easier.

627PC1.jpg

It's this configuration with a 5" barrel.  Frame and barrel are a black shinny stainless with a solid shinny non fluted cylinder like in the picture. not sure how to describe the finish other than it had some depth to it. not a traditional blued finish or the black matte painted look of the V comps.  Slab sides of the barrel might even have been more stainless instead of black with the performance center wording a deeper black so it stood out. 

Its definitely not like the V comp in the above picture.  it has the slab side barrel, no comp. When I checked the bore I obviously had to look down the barrel, there was not any threading, comp or cap installed. 

I started looking at them several years ago when they opened up revolver class to the 8 shots, sold the 625 but never went ahead and bought the 627. Kinda started looking again and ran across the one I described. 

Could be a special edition? Could be someone coated the frame? Is it a good price? I bet S&W could tell you. Or maybe even on the S&W forums...

Mine is a dash 4 in 38 super that you don't see very often

Screenshot_20210128-213511_Gallery_resized.jpg

Edited by Chillywig

34 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

Could be a special edition? Could be someone coated the frame? Is it a good price? I bet S&W could tell you. Or maybe even on the S&W forums...

Mine is a dash 4 in 38 super that you don't see very often

Screenshot_20210128-213511_Gallery_resized.jpg

I had one the super’s but it was so much money,,it gone

8 hours ago, mchapman said:

Screenshot_20201211-203155_1.png

That’s the one. I was starting to question if that’s what I really had seen.  What’s the history on these? From the posted article it’s a 170294 model, rest of the info is cut off. Google search still not finding any info even with the model number. 
Thanks, T

http://calzaretta.com/scans/627pinto1s.jpg

My memory is bad and I have no idea what box the rest of my notes are packed in . . . I HATE Moving

I refer to this revolver as a semi-pinto. Mine has a set of adjustable LPA fiber sights on it. 

These were a Distributor Exclusive for AccuSport in 2004. The total number ordered was either 130 or 160. I would need to find my old notes to know 

with the help of the sku # I found this info of the S&w forum. If the info is correct it looks like they are kind of rare. 

Went back and got it this morning, guess paid for it would be the correct statement. In the great republic of IL you have to wait 3 days plus the state is about 8 days behind on background checks. $900 OTD with metal case, both grips. Not a steal but probably not a bad deal. 
T. 

23 hours ago, tnoble said:

Went back and got it this morning, guess paid for it would be the correct statement. In the great republic of IL you have to wait 3 days plus the state is about 8 days behind on background checks. $900 OTD with metal case, both grips. Not a steal but probably not a bad deal. 
T. 

That's a good price in the non-Rona world. You'd definitely make it back if you chose to part with it.