Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any interest in a ULW barrel for the S&W 15/22 for steel challenge?

TRUBL

1 hour ago, TRUBL said:

Just debugged the lathe programs for the TACCOM ULW 15/22 16" barrel. Now to cut some real chips!!

1522SWMP.thumb.jpg.0ff133ab3ae512b46eb86368880093ec.jpg

Absolutely I would.  Sporter chambered.

Thanks............

I saw that today!  Your 15/22 barrel release is great news.

I am sure you will sell a lot of 15/22 barrels Tim, but I think you should just jump back in and re-release your complete 22 upper with an updated 5.5" ULW barrel, I'd buy one. 

33 minutes ago, Sniperboy said:

I saw that today!  Your 15/22 barrel release is great news.

I am sure you will sell a lot of 15/22 barrels Tim, but I think you should just jump back in and re-release your complete 22 upper with an updated 5.5" ULW barrel, I'd buy one. 

We are doing a new AR22 upper........but right now it was put on hold for a couple months, too busy doing 9mm, 10/22 and 15/22 stuff as well as some huge OEM orders. Something had to give so we pretty much stopped development.....and that sucks as we are really close, I mean parts are made even!!

With the poor availability of 22 ammo these days I would be way more interested in a full length but lightweight barrel for the 15-22. Need the full length to get enough pressure to cycle the action with questionable ammo. It wouldn't be an issue if you could just buy what you knew would always work but that's just not possible right now. I went through 5 Volquartsen carbon fiber barrels and was disgusted and rid myself of all of them and just fluted a factory barrel.

I would definitely be interested in a full length lightweight 15-22 barrel.

13 hours ago, Gregg K said:

With the poor availability of 22 ammo these days I would be way more interested in a full length but lightweight barrel for the 15-22. Need the full length to get enough pressure to cycle the action with questionable ammo. It wouldn't be an issue if you could just buy what you knew would always work but that's just not possible right now. I went through 5 Volquartsen carbon fiber barrels and was disgusted and rid myself of all of them and just fluted a factory barrel.

I would definitely be interested in a full length lightweight 15-22 barrel.

To a point.....I agree, but we've been running our 4.5" blanks in the 10/22 and the AR22 with standard velocity ammo.....and for the most part, it's been cycling very well. As long as the outside temp is not below 30 degrees. Yes, the colder weather will effect ejection somewhat with standard velocity, I personally live in minnesota, so I've done a lot of cold weather testing. I really don't like shooting a match in freezing weather.

I doubt you'll see TACCOM make a full length 15/22 barrel.......you'd have to go for the big V

20 hours ago, TRUBL said:

Just debugged the lathe programs for the TACCOM ULW 15/22 16" barrel. Now to cut some real chips!!

1522SWMP.thumb.jpg.0ff133ab3ae512b46eb86368880093ec.jpg

Do you have a projected release date these would be listed for sale?

Have you determined what diameter the sleeve/tube would be?  Similar in size and look of your 10/22 version?

50 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

and for the most part, it's been cycling very well. As long as the outside temp is not below 30 degrees. Yes, the colder weather will effect ejection somewhat with standard velocity, I personally live in minnesota, so I've done a lot of cold weather testing. I really don't like shooting a match in freezing weather.

There are several tricks to having 100% reliable feeding, firing and ejection in a 10/22 in freezing weather.  The first is to have a very slick receiver and bolt.  The second is to use the super slick Kidd guide rod and their -10% recoil spring.  The third is to keep the ammo warm until you shoot it.  Sunday's match started at 19 degrees and it never made it above freezing.  My CCI SV ran 100%.  That was a test. I usually go with Eley Target in freezing weather, because they don't have the heavy wax coating that CCI uses.  If you do not keep the CCI warm the wax gets hard and it may not chamber properly.

1 hour ago, Hoops said:

Do you have a projected release date these would be listed for sale?

Have you determined what diameter the sleeve/tube would be?  Similar in size and look of your 10/22 version?

We hope to have things ready to go in about 3 weeks......same sleeve that we are using on the 10/22 barrel (.3/4" OD)

First barrel off the milling process.....making sure we had all the pins, extractor, ejector, etc in the right locations......we did.....it works!! 

The temp at the time was 20 degrees.....standard bolt and springs, CCI mini mags. 

This is a brand new M+P pistol......never even fired a shot with the factory barrel.....I guess we went for broke!!

So now that we have a process.....the barrels get finished up in the mill, sent out for plating and then shrouds get pressed on.

The old 15-22 pistols used a lighter weight bolt than did the rifles. I haven't seen one of the newer made pistols but to be a good test as to what most shooters would experience it would need to be a rifle weight bolt used in the test.

From what I can remember years back when I talked with one of the S&W guys they had to lighten the bolt to get the reliability they wanted from a shorter barrel.

They had trouble with an 8" barrel and a regular full weight bolt.

That is interesting......and we did see that difference in the two bolts we have in the shop here. We did test with both bolts with no issues. We did use CCI ammo, but is was cold too. I suspect that like in the case of the 10/22 and AR22 set ups......A lighter spring will also take care of any issues you may run into with standard velocity ammo.

• 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, RadarLuv said:

Any new videos of the finished product running? Am on the waiting list can't wait till can get one of these for the 15-22

This thread is almost 2 years old. You may want to check the Taccom Facebook page...