Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1100: Primer stack went bang

I just had a primer stack explode on my RL1100.

The following components (at a minimum) are damaged.

1. 20773_RL1100 primer feedbody assembly
  2. 22030_small_mag_tube_assembly
  3. 13707 primer follower rod
  4. Low primer sensor
  5. My underwear

The small mag tube(22030) appears to be welded to the primer feedbody(20773).

The primer follower rod (13707) has disappeared. Literally; can’t find it.

The low primer sensor is inoperative.

It's not obvious at this point any other components should be replaced but I still need to completely strip the top end and check it out.

Sorry that this happened, my question would be do you know why it happened to see if it can be avoided in the future. 

The primer follower rod might be in your crawlspace, or might be in low orbit. 

You also might want to call Dillon and see if they can walk you through the machine to check for other damaged parts. I'm sure they'd want to try to figure out how it happened, to see if it's a machine issue that might need to be corrected. They might be able to see a pattern. Hopefully you're still under warranty.

Ouch. Sorry to here that. Ive seen images of that follower rod going through a drop ceiling and dissapearing.

Most of the stuff dillon should replace as long as you arent automated(I think)

Macys often has sales on underwear

Owie.

Did it explode while you were cranking the handle -- loading ammo?

Or while dropping in the primer rod?

Do you think there were accumulated yellow primer dusts in the tube?

What primers were you using?

I also want to make sure this doesn't happen to me.

I've had primer detonation on my 1050 (not the whole stack, but I did have the whole stack go on a 650). The cause was a military crimped pocket where the swage did not do an adequate job of smoothing out the pocket edges. It left a ridge on the pocket which snagged the primer as it was coming up and then "bang!"

Another possibility is a spent primer was not removed and made it to the primer station.

The OP did not mention what caliber was being reloaded. I'm betting on 223/5.56.

I had a friend that had a small commercial reloading business. Four 1050's, couple 650's. He had a static charge set off a tube of primers, damaged his hand some, and he lost an eye since he wasn't wearing safety glasses. I'm glad you are still healthy, underwear washes.

Thanks for the feedback.

This was loading 9mm. I am automated with an Ammobot Rev 3.

The machine is not quite a year old. It had undergone a deep cleaning approximately 5000 rounds ago; probably less.

I had cleaned out the primer tube and primer slide area when I did so.

I will now start using some compressed air to blow out the primer mechanism in between deep cleanings.

The explosion either started in the primer station and then went to the stack or the case that was in the primer station also went off when the stack blew up.

I'm not sure how I can tell at this point. I do have the case that was in the primer station. There are portions of the primer still in the case but much has disappeared.

I haven't had a problem with primer pullback up to this point although I keep reading about others for who it is an issue.

The case was Blazer Brass so probably not a crimped pocket issue.

I was using Ginex primers.

I've loaded approximately 2000 of these without issue. They've all gone bang when I pulled the trigger.

I did find one primer which did not have a anvil installed; just priming compound.

Other than that up until now I've been pleasantly surprised with them.

I caught a bit of shrapnel on the tip of my left little finger but not significant enough to need a bandaid.

Following this I'm going to use a face shield in addition to my safety glasses.

I've got a support ticket going with Dillon but haven't received a response yet.

I had the same experience.  Super 1050 with Ammobot loading 9MM when... BLAMMO!  Next thing I knew, the primer follower rod and 458 SOCOM case as a follower rod weight were sticking into the ceiling like a crossbow bolt.  

While disassembling the primer system I think I discovered the chain of events.  Primer detonated while being inserted in the case (don’t know exactly why), the yellow primer dust that I had never cleaned up ignited and then the primers detonated.

Subsequent “Google-Foo” revealed I should have been cleaning off the yellow primer dust with Isopropyl alcohol.

Only damage to the press was replacing the Primer Feed Body Housing and Early Warning Buzzer.

1 hour ago, MeatPuppet said:

I had the same experience.  Super 1050 with Ammobot loading 9MM when... BLAMMO!  Next thing I knew, the primer follower rod and 458 SOCOM case as a follower rod weight were sticking into the ceiling like a crossbow bolt.  

While disassembling the primer system I think I discovered the chain of events.  Primer detonated while being inserted in the case (don’t know exactly why), the yellow primer dust that I had never cleaned up ignited and then the primers detonated.

Subsequent “Google-Foo” revealed I should have been cleaning off the yellow primer dust with Isopropyl alcohol.

Only damage to the press was replacing the Primer Feed Body Housing and Early Warning Buzzer.

Good to know. I am planning on being much more attentive to keeping the priming system clean. 

I can get real OCD about this sort of thing.  🙂

7 hours ago, nxfedlt1 said:

Having never used ginex how do they compare to say cci? Softer? 

I don't understand how a detonation under the shell can set off the stack but it clearly does. 

Shooting an X5 with stock striker. Always goes boom. Have not tried them in any reduced power hammer/striker spring situation.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I've heard about it and wondered "how the heck can that happen? does that really happen?"

Well... still don't really know how but I can now guarantee that it really does occur.

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up:

Received the replacement primer assembly parts. 

Up and running.

I used Dillon's online support process; didn't talk to anyone.

Described the problem and specified exact part numbers.

Submitted ticket Saturday 12/12.

Got email response 12/14.

Received parts Friday 12/18.

I think that's pretty good all things considered...

On 12/21/2020 at 9:48 PM, ddc said:

Follow up:

Received the replacement primer assembly parts. 

Up and running.

I used Dillon's online support process; didn't talk to anyone.

Described the problem and specified exact part numbers.

Submitted ticket Saturday 12/12.

Got email response 12/14.

Received parts Friday 12/18.

I think that's pretty good all things considered...

I wish I could say the same.  I reported my broken powder measure with a picture on line 12-6 and received confirmation that same day (automated response).

12-9 I received a response from Marci Bruno asking what machine I had. I replied the same day.

12-15 heard nothing so sent second reply.

12-22 heard nothing so sent third reply.

12-30 filed another claim on line.

I know there are several possible explanations and can accept them - if they would just tell me what they are: part on back order, postal delay, Covid, etc., but lack of communication is unacceptable, IMHO.

5 hours ago, Tom S. said:

I wish I could say the same.  I reported my broken powder measure with a picture on line 12-6 and received confirmation that same day (automated response).

12-9 I received a response from Marci Bruno asking what machine I had. I replied the same day.

12-15 heard nothing so sent second reply.

12-22 heard nothing so sent third reply.

12-30 filed another claim on line.

I know there are several possible explanations and can accept them - if they would just tell me what they are: part on back order, postal delay, Covid, etc., but lack of communication is unacceptable, IMHO.

That would be frustrating. I agree communication is key. 

Possibly your situation just fell through the cracks which these days is probably more likely to happen than a year ago.

Marci is the one who I conversed with via the tech support email and she has been quite responsive.

I recently contacted her with an additional claim about some other components which are not operating at 100% due to the explosion.

Claim was made 12/26 which was a Saturday when I don't think they are working. Just received email this morning that parts are on the way. 

Given Covid19 situation that works for me.

But I agree, if I was you I'd be frustrated too.