Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just ordered a G45. Looking got upgrades feedback.

bababoris

Congrats on your purchase!

A good set of Night Sights are essential, IMHO.  I prefer either the Glock factory night sights or original Trijicons (part number GL01), but the AmeriGlo's and Trijicon HD's are in high demand right now.  Users say that the bold colored front sight and plain black rear really draw the shooter's attention to the front sight, but I prefer the square rear notch of the originals.  35 years of staring at a particular sight picture will make change difficult, right?

Upgraded triggers are great for a range gun, but a lot of lawyers will tell you to leave that OEM if you're intending on EDC or home defense use. 

Hello, I like the Dawson sights. Black rear sight and a fiber front sight. For home use get a flashlight and a laser. I like laser mounted on the pistol and a hand held flashlight. Or just use a flashlight mounted on the pistol and no laser. It will depend alot on what you like. Whatever you choose make sure you train with it. Current trend is a red dot mounted on the slide and a flashlight mounted on the pistol. It maybe the best option that I have not tried yet. Thanks, Eric

On 11/12/2020 at 7:31 AM, Braxton1 said:AmeriGlo's and Trijicon HD's are in high demand right now.  

Upgraded triggers are great for a range gun, but a lot of lawyers will tell you to leave that OEM if you're intending on EDC or home defense use. 

I am a big fan of these type of sights with trijicon and a bright background ring.   I like the Ameriglo operators and trijicon HDs with a big orange background.   They run about $65.    Install can be DIY but you need a small wrench for the front sight.  

on the point above about triggers and other modifications is somewhat over blown IMO.   Massad Ayoob and many gun writers have made good hay out of the concept for a long time.   I remember reading about the ‘82 Alvarez case 30 years ago and others that gave credence to that theory.   Most of those cases weren’t about shoots that people considered “legit”.    Like Alvarez they were about charging shooters with unintentionally firing a modified gun due to modifications.   The reality is that if you use your guns in self defense your going to most likely face both criminal and civil litigation.  The plaintiff or prosecution is going to try and make you look like a trigger happy Rambo.   These days, I think your social media posts, your born to kill tattoo and your “trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again” yard sign are more likely to get you in trouble than gun mods.   I don’t carry a hair trigger gun for other reasons but the whole “leave the trigger stock” so you don’t get in trouble is a bit overblown IMO.  

On 11/11/2020 at 7:31 PM, bababoris said:

I am thinking of upgrading the sights.  I think the one I ordered will come with basic Glock sights.  Any recommendations?  I am going to use this gun for home defense and range trips.  TIA. 

TrueGlo Tritium/Fiber. Bright in day or night, no snag.

Night sights aren't very helpful if you can't see what you're shooting at.  Better to have plain sights and a light, either rail mounted or hand-held, IMO.  For aftermarket sights, I prefer Heinie's which are available plain or with inserts.  As for trigger mods and the like, you can believe what you want as to whether they're a good idea.  But obviously eliminating the possibility of those things being an issue is the safest route.  If you feel the need to make additional mods, shoot reloaded ammo, etc., that's a personal choice.  But do so with the knowledge that a prosecutor or plaintiff's attorney COULD use that against you.  Whether legit or not, a judge might allow it.  Then you're dealing with an uneducated and emotionally charged jury that's going to take that into consideration.  So the choice is yours.

Night sites come into play more so when some ambient light which is present and silhouetting the target.  There usually is plenty of this in most urban or suburban areas.  The white light though is a no brainer.  Since you are not in a hostile country, or sneaking and peaking, use the hell out of your white light to identify what you are shooting at.  Modified guns and liabilty is debatable as justified homicide is justified homicide.  Personally, I would not risk throwing in the lightest wiz bang trigger because if you are amped up, that little bit of extra trigger pull weight might be the difference between letting off a shot you didnt mean to and not.  Im constrained by agency policy for the most part but a 5.5# glock trigger isnt the worst thing in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

For lights, the Streamlight TLR-1 HL is a great deal for about $150.  Excellent build quality and very bright, but not too bright for indoor use.  I'd put it up against a Surefire any day and it's about half the price.

For night sights, here's another vote for Trijicon GL-01.  I have these on the G19.

For general purpose sights, the AmeriGlo GT-504 is a great product.  I have these on the G17 and G22.

The sight picture (minus the dots) is very similar between the two, with the GT-504 front post being narrower.  I like that for range and competition use (i.e. Glock matches).

• 1 month later...