Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass hitting optic in CO

yekcoh

Hi guys, I've been using ARFCOM pretty exclusively but I think I can get more helpful info here. I think this is my first post on BE.

I'm shooting CO with

G35 (9mm ejector with 40 extractor)
KKM conversion barrel
Glockstore guide rod w 13#
Polished stock trigger with extra power spring

TF basepad with DP spring

SRO

147gr 3.1gr titegroup 134.7 PF

Pretty typical stuff...

When the gun cycles, it feels great. It is in the sweet spot and I can shoot pretty well with it.

The biggest problem I'm facing is that the brass is hitting my optic.

I couldn't care less if that was the only problem but brass bounces off optic and sometimes the slide catches the brass and I get a jam.

The worst part is if it's caught in the right orientation, racking the slide will actually result in subsequent jam: doublefeed.

I'd like to keep shooting this gun as it feels great in my hand but I've already spent thousands in match fees only to see myself get caught up in jams during stage runs.

I honestly think I can run my gun fine if I can address this issue as I'm not seeing any other issues during stage runs. 

I've always blamed the mag spring, basepad, or the recoil spring. But after a careful review of my videos, it's really the brass hitting optic. 

Realizing this took me a long time because I almost never experience this problem during practice and it didn't always occur. 

So I've thought about a list of options to try:

1. 40 cal ejector: it opens up a bit and it could potentially change the ejection pattern back out counter clockwise. I have not tried but I'm afraid it won't fix or it may produce another problem, too far out to hit the back of the brass thus not ejecting.

2. Ejection pattern tuning: Can this be done?

3. Romeo3 Max: SRO sits pretty far forward and and right at the breach face. Possibly with R3M, I could reduce the chance of brass bouncing and entering back into slide since 

the glass sits back.

4. Sig X5: I heard it's great

5. Try a different Glock.

I'd appreciate any thoughtful suggestions...

Here is my recent run. Skip to 00:30. 00:50, and 01:15 to see the malfunction

Edited by yekcoh

Shot with somebody this weekend with an SRO. Brass bouncing off the sight and jamming all day long. 

I have 3 XL's and brass does not hit the sight.

I know Springer precision moved the SRO to the back of their plate on the X5. I do not know if they make one for a Glock. Something to check out. 

Edited by echotango

If the recoil spring is too heavy the brass will not eject positively from the gun, leaving it in a position where the optic coming back into battery will connect with the brass. You note that you had a stovepipe and misfeeds. Too much spring can cause these as well. Try using a lighter recoil spring and see what happens.

7 hours ago, DownUnder said:

If the recoil spring is too heavy the brass will not eject positively from the gun, leaving it in a position where the optic coming back into battery will connect with the brass. You note that you had a stovepipe and misfeeds. Too much spring can cause these as well. Try using a lighter recoil spring and see what happens.

But I'm already using 13#. Should I go even lighter? 11#?

I am down to a 11# spring. Have a similar issue.  You can try a different optic but the problem is the slide.

The conversion just doesn't work sometimes . The brass is coming loose from the extractor. Not hitting the ejector

The same every time.

Edited by AHI

4 hours ago, yekcoh said:

But I'm already using 13#. Should I go even lighter? 11#?

What gen glock?

11 was the lightest I could go in a gen 4. 12 was the lightest for gen 5. In both cases I still had brass strikes to the optic, but it was significantly reduced with the lighter spring.

1 minute ago, MemphisMechanic said:

This. It’s the easiest modification that is sure to remedy the situation. The ultra-bulky SRO is overrated in my opinion.

I was thinking that as well. I've had brass hit my RMR when using garbage ammo like Tula, but the other malfunctions are just odd to me.

I'd also try to just shoot .40 and see if the problem still persists. I've never trusted conversion kits to be all that reliable.

You can change the ejector to try different ejection patterns. I don’t know what ejector you’re using, but I’m using a 47021 in a Gen 3 Glock, I changed from the stock 336 ejector. You can buy the different ejectors for about $10. Worth a try before dropping a lot of money on new optics. https://www.glocktalk.com/a/glock-9mm-ejector-differences-and-performance-comparison-with-video-336-vs-30274-vs-47021.76/

Depending on how invested in the SRO you are, you could also try a different slide.  You don't say what the configuration of your current slide is (I'm assuming M.O.S.), but having an aftermarket milled slide would allow you to place the SRO more rearward and possibly eliminate the issue.  Again, another alternative to buying new optics.

4 hours ago, cjmill87 said:

Depending on how invested in the SRO you are, you could also try a different slide.  You don't say what the configuration of your current slide is (I'm assuming M.O.S.), but having an aftermarket milled slide would allow you to place the SRO more rearward and possibly eliminate the issue.  Again, another alternative to buying new optics.

G35 MOS with KKM conversion barrel. Gen4 9mm ejector and Gen4 40cal extractor.

This morning, I just tested different combinations of ejector and extractor (9m ejector 40 ejector 9m extractor) I saw no difference.

By no difference, I didn't have any jam but I still saw my brass getting bounced off my optic. I will post slo mo video tonight

I'm definitely thinking about putting the slide more back but I do want to minimize aftermarket involvement.

7 hours ago, Silverscooby27 said:

You can change the ejector to try different ejection patterns. I don’t know what ejector you’re using, but I’m using a 47021 in a Gen 3 Glock, I changed from the stock 336 ejector. You can buy the different ejectors for about $10. Worth a try before dropping a lot of money on new optics. https://www.glocktalk.com/a/glock-9mm-ejector-differences-and-performance-comparison-with-video-336-vs-30274-vs-47021.76/

I will definitely check those out. Thanks.

Post read:

the OP tried the gen5 ejector which is longer than any previous gen ejectors and remedied the BTF issue. I'm giving this a try!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!! Will update

Edited by yekcoh

UPDATE: 

Ejector 47021 helped but it was still hitting the optic, once or twice every 10 rounds it looks.

I bent the ejector a little straighter and oiled the slide (as opposed to hornady one shot) and I have not yet encountered the jam.

Here is a slo-mo I made at the range:

Edited by yekcoh

On 11/16/2020 at 4:37 AM, echotango said:

Time for a new sight. 

On 11/16/2020 at 5:25 PM, TONY BARONE said:

Shooting minor loads doesn't allow enough slide speed to properly clear the case with that set up. A different optic is the easiest solution.

Thanks for the response guys.

I have the same understanding on that but I was hoping there was a way to change the ejection patter with the ejector or the extractor.

I just got my hands on a Romeo3 Max, which doesn't sit out front like the SRO does. I think this will help reduce the chance of brass going backing into the slide but brass will still hit the optic. 

I'm still open to a more permanent solution.

Thanks. will update with the new optic

8 hours ago, Silverscooby27 said:

Maybe try to change the extractor to Suarez and play with recoil spring weights?

Suarez extractor is just a machined counter part of the stock. I doubt it will change the pattern.

Maybe I should give Taran a call.. Is he friendly

Edited by yekcoh