Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

50 Yard Group Shooting

Matthew_Mink

Reviving this old topic:

Shot a best ever 50 yard group with an CZ 75 SP-01, 147gr Zero loads. Measured right at 7", no flyers. I think I am getting it. Trigger control, trigger control, trigger control, trigger control, trigger control, etc....

Yes... accept your hold, and release the shot without disturbing it. Then the only two variables are your hold itself and your gun/load's accuracy.

be

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of being ridiculous, since groups are measured center-to-center, a 1 shot group has a group size of .000 :P

Now that's an impressive group!

Steve

That is currect. When measuring a group, measure the two furthest bullet diameters center to center and then subtract the bullet diameter. That's the way the benchrest guys do it.

This thread got me thinking about long range shooting. A couple days ago I decided to give this a go at 50 yards with a Glock 35. It was towards the end of my practice session. I shot 4 six round strings. The first two were at the "A" zone and I held all of them in the "A" zone. It was however a rather large verticle spread. The last two strings were head shots and I managed all 12 in the head though two were on the lower perfs. Not bad results. I did find I needed to hold at the top of the head to around an inch over. I'd guess from this limited test I need about +2" holdover at 50 yards. The gun is zeroed for 15 yards.

I need to spend some time getting to know this G35, it's a new gun for me. So far I've shot about 5 matches with it and it's a pretty nice platform.

50 yards? Long range shooting? um.... :huh:

Back in the day.... when I shot IHMSA..... we started at 50m ;) Little white chickens..

But then Single shot hand cannons loaded with rifle cartridges tend to allow you to shoot at heavy targets pretty far out... I've had a few Ram sillouettes laugh at me from 200 M distance.. :)

But seriously, 50 yards is pretty good for most handgun shooters in our game. Icore has a classifier that goes to 50 yards.. Those tombstone targets are way the heck out there!

Vince

50 yds with irons and a .45 IS a long way...especially if you are tying to do it in a hurry... :) I always figured if you could get half A's and half C's @50 yds that was acceptable unless you were prone and with a long time limit..

I can consistently shoot 1 1/2" to 2" (5) shot groups at 25 yds with an autoloader off sandbags.

Some groups will go down around an inch but can't really do that on demand.

With a revolver I can cut that down to 1/2 to 1".

At 50 yds the auto loader groups will open up to around 4".

Take away the sandbag and that will double to about 8".

Make it 10 shots instead of 5 and I would guess that a 10" group off hand at 50 yds is pretty respectable. If you can do better than that you're at the top of the food chain.

Tls

I shoot / used to shoot alot of Sportsman's Team Challenge. The 'Combo' event has targets that i shoot at 50 yards and 45 yards = Team event and has a time limit. To get any speed I have to ecsept that I will pull two out of ten shots off the 4" or four to five off the 2" targets. BUT that is with a red dot rimfire. I just can not keep my eyes focused that hard on 2" targets at 45 yards with your buddy shooting next to you hitting you with hot brass.

The only way with one of my centerfire guns I could shoot a real good "Ten shot group" at 50 yards would be to take a break at five and start again after a few minute brake. =?Would that still count?

I've been practicing my group shooting every chance I can, and this two has me stumped.

Why are my groups tighter freestyle-standing compared to when the gun is bagged or rested? And why are my groups better when shooting irons than with a dot (question #1 also applies to both dot and irons)? :unsure::wacko:

I've been practicing my group shooting every chance I can, and this two has me stumped.

Why are my groups tighter freestyle-standing compared to when the gun is bagged or rested? And why are my groups better when shooting irons than with a dot (question #1 also applies to both dot and irons)? :unsure::wacko:

I was shown early to shoot groups for final sightin and load test with my wrist on the sand bags. This way the gun recoils closer to the same as when it is shot freestyle.

Your question about groups off the bags should be eazy to anser= "too much imput " I bet off the bags you trying to do too many things at one time. Trigger control, front sight ,rear sight, target. trigger cont., bang =damb.

my sight set with a dot for a 2" target at 45 yards...givenit is a rimfire but same method for center fire . The sight in is 12oclock on my dot sits 6 oclock on the target = the bullet his 1" high of the Top of my dot. With a dot at long distance = it is big if you see the entire dot =it like looking at brown instead of the A zone.

With your Iron sights the target sits on the front sight, if you did it the outdated way the front sight would be covering up 1/2 of what you would be shooting at. most Dots do just that they cover up the aiming area.

But I may not know Nothin about nothin ;) but I do know 2" biathalon ' targets

Edited by AlamoShooter

Just a story but.........

Years ago at a match in Ca there was a 40 or 50 yard standards.

Any how knowing there would be lots O close hosing & no shoots I set the

gun up for impact on the dot at 7 Yds. So after shooting the standard's,

BE Rondy & I are going out to score & BE says something like "your target is clean,

what the hell you doing!??!!" So we get closer & start to see holes in the top.

Any how all the hole were there (in the little box at the top). So I guess if you

can hold on a given day & shoot a lot of 50 Y stuff the shot will be there.

That's a good story Greg... and it illustrates a good point for this thread. If you "do your job" - release the shot without disturbing your hold - you might shock yourself with your offhand group shooting ability. Which might be much better than expected from an objective analysis of your pistol's grouping ability.

Also in your post is a good "between the lines" message: I wonder if you would have shot such a tight, 40/50 yard head-shot group if you were aiming at the head. ;) Shooting at the head box at that distance, I know my mind would be - "Ahhh - head shots - 50 yards - Ahhh!" Probably would have been picking and snatching like I was cracking a whip. But body shots - no problem. Just float the gun out there, accepting the hold - release the shot. Watch the sight go up and settle back down... and release the shot.

be

Just an intresting side note.

At the "89 or "90 Nationals, Leatham missed a couple of plates and had a slow last run to lose the shootoffs.

Before holstering he fired at and hit a metalic ram that was set up at 300yds from a previous rifle match. This was with an iron sight 38 Super. It was a pretty shot. :o

Edited by TxD

At the "89 or "90 Nationals, Leatham missed a couple of plates and had a slow last run to lose the shootoffs.

Before holstering he fired at and hit a metalic ram that was set up at 300yds from a previous rifle match. This was with an iron sight 38 Super. It was a pretty shot. :o

If the match was at PASA, the ram was ONLY 200 meters away. :)

If the match was at PASA, the ram was ONLY 200 meters away. :)

Yes, it was at PASA.

The bullet took a long time to get there.

Someone told me a similar story about Barnhart. He was burning (pun intended) down teh shoot offs and someone joked that he should have to shoot a plate way out on the rifle range as his stop plate to make things fair. :D

So next run he did. :huh: