Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alliant E3 powder available

mpom

Graf and Sons has E3 in stock, for those looking for it specifically, or those (like me) just looking for a clean, fast burning powder for pistol ammo.

Lots of positive info on the off label use (listed as a shotgun powder) on this site. Enjoy!

Mark

• 1 year later...

it's an Alliant e3 thang

(I'm a fan.  Wish it metered better. I'll be testing Ramshot Competition as an alternative this weekend) 

1st update; e3, 15 powder drops approx 3.2gr with Lee Autodrum, spread ranged 0.22gr.  

15 drops of Ramshot Competition almost did under 0.10gr variance but one took a bit more of a dip for a spread of 0.14. However 13 of 15 were within 0.08gr.

First couple shots it looks to be a little smoky.  We'll see soon. 

Edited by meeesterpaul

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 2:17 PM, meeesterpaul said:

it's an Alliant e3 thang

(I'm a fan.  Wish it metered better. I'll be testing Ramshot Competition as an alternative this weekend) 

1st update; e3, 15 powder drops approx 3.2gr with Lee Autodrum, spread ranged 0.22gr.  

15 drops of Ramshot Competition almost did under 0.10gr variance but one took a bit more of a dip for a spread of 0.14. However 13 of 15 were within 0.08gr.

First couple shots it looks to be a little smoky.  We'll see soon. 

I've found ramshot comp to be a ton less smokey then TG. And as you have found it meters EXTREMELY well. 

Seems that the powder was dropping more accurately than the scale could keep up. Every slightly late drop that I retested showed to be right back in the right to zone. 

Running Ramshot in 40SW Beretta and a 40SW CMMG Resolute I don't know how low I can go. I think 3.2 grains under a 175 or 180 was considered the minimum but neither one of these guns is failing to cycle at 2.6 (using Hornady One Shot for lube). They are running clean and the cases aren't even getting a blast of black around the case mouth. I bumped the drop up to 2.76 grains and most of the drops are coming out at about that or perhaps 2.72 - 2. 80 using a Lee Auto Drum powder measure.  

I saw that there was a load using Clays for 45 Colt. So I loaded up a bunch of that on the Cowperson end of the power factor scale. Remarkable! 3.2 gr of e3 in a cavernous 45Colt case under a 200gr powder coated RNFP. Ridiculously clean which I attribute to the fast powder and the dryness of Hornady One Shot. I don't know how low I can go with that powder but I will probably experiment and run some really silly light loads across the chrono and see what it takes to get that remarkably consistent powder to start getting erratic. 

• 1 month later...

Sometime back I worked up some development loads starting with 3.2gr under coated 180's.  3.2gr e3 wasn't even making 800fps.  Reeeally slow....pressure too low.

Barely functional at warm pleasant temps with a 12# recoil and a reduced main, std slide 5" bbl. 

1 hour ago, Yeti said:

3.2gr under coated 180's.  3.2gr e3 wasn't even making 800fps. 

I used 3.2 in VP40 using 180 grain Xtreme plated or my 170ish powder coated. I could get the gun to run at 2.9 but I couldn't get the powder drops consistent enough to avoid an occasional 0.2gr dip. Now I'm Ramshot Comp fan., Turns out the min load recommended was 2.8 and that is soft. 2.6 runs all my 40s and that is embarrassingly soft yet cycles everything.  I have plenty of e3 and I'll use it in the PCC and Cowperson loads. I was using HP38 but light loads of e3 are softer and so much cleaner than a light load of HP-38.