Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Toolhead Set-Up

Looking for thoughts on toolhead die set up on a 1050!  I have upgraded to the CNC Enhanced toolheads, so I now have an extra die spot over the priming station.

I have noticed that 9mm Dillon dies can often times give a bottle neck shape... and Dillons seating die can leave a "ring" around the top of the bullet nose.

I think I am going to move to a Redding competition seating die.  I am curious what the rest of the group is running...  Ive looked at FW Arms Decap, Mighty Armory Dies, and Redding dies as well.

Anyone have some thoughts on full toolhead set up for 9mm, 38 super, and 45?

I am thinking that a MA Decapping Die, Lee U die (decap pin removed), and a M Die followed by powder drop, MBF, Redding seating, and then either RCBS,Redding, or Dillon Crimp for 9mm.  Not set on this, but I think it could be a good plan.

For my processing toolhead, I’m using FW Arms decapper, FW Arms Swage hold down and Lee Udie. I used this for processing both 9mm and .223

For my reloading toolhead, Redding sizing die, Dillon hold down, MBF funnel, Redding competition die and Redding taper crimp die.

For 9mm I run it through first with two universal decapping dies and no swage rod to ensure the primers are gone. The decapping dies are Dillon and Lee with the FFB RCBS conversion. That tool head also has Dillon and Lee sizing dies for 40sw, but they don't get involved when 9mm passes through.

Then I load with:
Dillon Sizing die
Lee U-die / Swage
Primer
MBF Powder drop
MBF

Dillon Seat
Lee FCD

I guess if I had an extra station before the powder drop I'd use an M die and hope the bullets seat straighter? I've not really noticed a need for anything there so far though.

On 9/27/2020 at 7:07 PM, Face5535 said:

Looking for thoughts on toolhead die set up on a 1050!  I have upgraded to the CNC Enhanced toolheads, so I now have an extra die spot over the priming station.

I have noticed that 9mm Dillon dies can often times give a bottle neck shape... and Dillons seating die can leave a "ring" around the top of the bullet nose.

I think I am going to move to a Redding competition seating die.  I am curious what the rest of the group is running...  Ive looked at FW Arms Decap, Mighty Armory Dies, and Redding dies as well.

I am thinking that a MA Decapping Die, Lee U die (decap pin removed), and a M Die followed by powder drop, MBF, Redding seating, and then either RCBS,Redding, or Dillon Crimp for 9mm.  Not set on this, but I think it could be a good plan.

Where did you purchase the upgraded tool head for the 1050?  I am using a On Point MFG toolhead with my 1100...  Great tool head by the way, allows to have one more station over the primer station.  My die setup, FW Arms decapper, Lee U die as a swage hold down, Lee U die on the primer station, powder drop, DAA bullet feeder die, Redding Competition seater and Lee crimp die..  I've been thinking of upgrading to a Redding Competition crimp die but Lee has been working well, besides I rarely use the Dillon reloading press, my main go to press is the Mark 7 Evo.  Ocassionally I use the Dillon 1100 to load major ammo, and process brass by using the stock Dillon toolhead for processing brass.  With the Dillon toolhead I am using the FW Arms decapper, followed by resizing 2x times..  😌

My question for those using a CNC/Aftermarket toolhead on the Dillon machines, is:  Will a sizing die or expander die yield sufficient down force on the case to provide a suitable backer for the priming station?  Or would something like the FW Arms die be necessary to control consistent primer seating depth?

https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/f-w-arms-auto-center-swage-foot/

🤔

UPDATE:  I'm now thinking that those who use a die/die body above the primer station are actually seeing more that adequate "down force" as the die body is threaded down against the shell plate!  

💡💡

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

On 9/27/2020 at 8:07 PM, Face5535 said:

OP:

On my Dillon RL1100, I'm using Redding Pro Competition dies at all three stations along with a MBF and the MBF funnel under the powder measure.  NEVER have a problem with my reloads.

If I were buying dies individually, I would definitely consider the FW Arms universal decapper; or hold out for their new Primer Popper for your dedicated decapping die!

https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/f-w-arms-auto-center-decapper/

https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/pre-order-fw-arms-primer-popper-auto-case-centering-decapper-deprimer/

👍 

Everglades makes a nice cost effective primer hold down mechanism that fits in the factory Dillon 1050 tool head over the priming station, so I can’t see the need for an aftermarket head with tapped full size opening at this location.  Now I’m sure it’s more durable, but unless you are running automated I can’t imagine the factory head falling short.

Everglades makes a nice cost effective primer hold down mechanism that fits in the factory Dillon 1050 tool head over the priming station, so I can’t see the need for an aftermarket head with tapped full size opening at this location.  Now I’m sure it’s more durable, but unless you are running automated I can’t imagine the factory head falling short.

Running one on my RL1100:3d871d108d7b5dec714135311670ed2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, SpartanArmament said:

What are the folks with CNC Toolheads using over Swage and over Primer stations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Standard Dillon swage backer die over swage station. Die is turned down so no expander function; only swage backing.

Lee Universal Case expander die with guts replaced by MBF funnel over the primer station.

I like being able to separate the swage backing from the expanding.

Edited by ddc
added detail

I don’t see a need for the Everglades primer hold down on my 1100. In fact, the seating depth of the primers has been consistent at .004” below flush. My guns doesn’t have any problems lighting them off even with CCI on my shadow 2 with an 11.5# main spring.

I believe the key is making sure the shellplate is set up correctly to prevent excessive wobble or deflection. 

What is the best die for swage station? Hitting some .22 cases inside 9mm time to time and original one seems to mold them to 9mm case...

Currently running 9mm

- Dillon decap, size

- Dillon original swage

- primer, none

- powder, with DAA expander

- MBF

- Dillon seat

- Lee FC

3 hours ago, Kema said:

What is the best die for swage station? Hitting some .22 cases inside 9mm time to time and original one seems to mold them to 9mm case...

Currently running 9mm

- Dillon decap, size

- Dillon original swage

- primer, none

- powder, with DAA expander

- MBF

- Dillon seat

- Lee FC

I’m using Dillon’s Swage die on my loading toolhead. I don’t get any .22s since I pre-process my brass using a FW Arms decapper,  FW Arms Swage foot die and Lee U-die on my processing toolhead.

loading toolhead

- Redding size die

- Dillon Swage die

- primer, none

- DAA powder funnel

- MBF 

- Redding competition die

- Lee FCD