Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the right magazine for Shadow 2?

BryceA

I'm probably going to get into a steel frame CZ soon and am wondering what magazines are the 'right' magazines. From what I can tell it's the Meg-Gar magazines with the blue followers and plastic base plates, MGCZ7517AFC. Are these the right ones, and do they also work as expected in a SP-01 and other full size CZ 75 variants?

Thanks in advance.

The CZ Shadow 2 uses standard full size CZ 75 magazines. Same mags as the SP-01, 75/85B, 75SA, 75 Omega and orignal CZ Shadow pistols. These full size magazines can also be used in the CZ compact models like the PCR, P-01, P-01 Omega and CZ 75 Compact. They will even work in a CZ sub compact RAMI. In anything smaller than a full sized CZ pistol, the full sized mags will stick out of the grip but they will run fine.

Magazine interchangeability has been a significant asset of the platform for me.

CZ 75B, CZ 85B, CZ 75 SP-01, CZ Shadow 2 17 RD 9mm MGCZ7517AFC

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-factory-mecgar-actmag-c-173/cz-75b-cz-85b-cz-75-sp01-cz-shadow-2-17-rd-9mm-mgcz7517afc-p-591.html

CZ 75B, CZ 75 SP-01 CZ Shadow 2 19 RD 9mm +2 ADAPTER MGCZ7519DPS

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-factory-mecgar-actmag-c-173/cz-75b-cz-75-sp01-cz-shadow-2-19-rd-9mm-2-adapter-mgcz7519dps-p-2103.html

Edited by Tok36

A new SP-01 manual safety will come with two 19rd magazines that are different than the 3 MecGar 17rd tubes that come with a Shadow 2.  The magazines are interchangeable but if you plan to run aftermarket baseplates or extensions on them you will want the MecGar 17rd mags and not the CZ ones that come with the SP-01.  The tubes are longer on the CZ mags and wont fit flush with the grip base if using an extension or aftermarket baseplate.  IMO the MecGar mags are nicer than the CZ ones.

My favorites are

1. 16 rd spo1 for production with rubber base pad

2. Mac gar 17 with extensions for co

3. 18 rd  are my least favorite, the all needed +15 springs, they rattle and the tube is longer

1 and 2 are personal preference I think 3 is the clear winner of my least favorite award. 

my last sp01 came with 18rd mags my first with 16.  

The MecGar 17 round magazines with the MecGar plastic +2 extensions are a very sweet package, even here in Canada where we are still stuck at 10 rounds. The base pads make it much easier to load the magazine quickly. The MecGar magazine tube is the perfect geometry and coating, extremely resistant to fouling, getting out of shape in the body or the lips, and the coating is super slick so the rounds feed very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a side note, I use Mec-Gar mags and only Mec-Gar in my CZ's, Sigs and numerous brands of 1911's; all with no hiccups of any kind.

And  I buy them from THE magazine man, Greg Cote!!!

Just sayin'!

My Favorite are the Mec-gar 17 rounders, or 10 rounders, which is the same tube as a 17 with a dimple to stop them at 10. I had springer basepads at first but now run the Henning's in production because I like their shape better than Springers.

I also like the 16 rounders with rubber basepads for indoor action shooting.

I still keep factory mags due to having unmodified Pre-B 75s that Mec-Gars don't fit in. I haven't had the balls to detail strip them and open them up to accept all 75B mags.