Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Loctite or Vibra-tite VC-3?

Flea

I've always used medium strength thread locker for light duty applications such as optic mounting screws on rifles and pistols without a single problem.  I don't see any reason to change.

I had a RMR on two pistols for a total of 10,500 rounds.  Never did I find a mounting screw loose when switching it from one pistol to the other and I never had to bring heat anywhere close to an electronic system.

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I've always used medium strength thread locker for light duty applications such as optic mounting screws on rifles and pistols without a single problem.  I don't see any reason to change.

I had a RMR on two pistols for a total of 10,500 rounds.  Never did I find a mounting screw loose when switching it from one pistol to the other and I never had to bring heat anywhere close to an electronic system.

Why would you bring heat to the electronics system?

23 hours ago, limitedgun said:

Why would you bring heat to the electronics system?

Someone on this thread suggested using red loctite, which needs to be heated to break loose.  Well, the screws pass through the sight so there will inevitably be heat transfer from them to the sight including the PCB inside.

I'd rather not screw up my $450+ sight unnecessarily.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

On 9/16/2020 at 7:03 PM, Sarge said:

Fascinating. I have never been able to break red loctite without killing it with fire.

Heat the fastener directly with a soldering gun when taking sights on and off of firearms.

Afterca bad experience early on with blue locktite and spontaneously-ejecting Glock front sights on several shooter’s guns, all of us switched to red.

It’s not really an issue getting sight setscrews off; they don’t have much surface area.

I like red because heat and vibration are what loosen it... and that’s a pretty good description of the daily life of fasteners installed in a handgun slide. ;) 

On 9/21/2020 at 4:12 PM, Rolex said:

A heat gun will get it hot enough to break RED- 

45 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Heat the fastener directly with a soldering gun when taking sights on and off of firearms.

Afterca bad experience early on with blue locktite and spontaneously-ejecting Glock front sights on several shooter’s guns, all of us switched to red.

It’s not really an issue getting sight setscrews off; they don’t have much surface area.

I like red because heat and vibration are what loosen it... and that’s a pretty good description of the daily life of fasteners installed in a handgun slide. ;) 

I have a small butane pencil tip torch that I use. Hit the screw for a few seconds and look for the puff of smoke. Come right out. I use blue near anything plastic.

Special application, the guide rod/assembly screw loosened on my Marvel conversion the other day, letting the barrel flop and causing many misfires.

I'm going try VC3 on it for the occasional disassembly - reassembly without having to break a Loctite bond and reapply.

• 2 weeks later...