Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Romeo 1 vs. Romeo 1 Pro Reliability/Durability

Tanders

Just picked up a CO gun and I'm shopping around for a dot to throw on it.  The price on the Romeo 1 looks pretty great, but I keep hearing people say that the vertical zero can drift pretty badly.  Anybody experienced this with a Romeo 1?  Approximate round counts on your dots would be much appreciated.  It also seems like Sig tried to iron out the vertical drift kinks with the "TruHold" zeroing system that they added to the Romeo 1 Pro.  If you have both, how does the Pro compare to the original in terms of reliability?  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

ALL current gen reddots blow chunks.  NOne are reliable. Buy what you like,, then buy 2 spares.  1 to shoot, one as a spare, one back at factory getting replaced... rotate, repeat

Yeah, that really is the impression I'm starting to get.

For test purposes, I have collected red dot optics from nearly all the major companies. At this point, you couldn’t pay me to use any SIG product. Out of the box, a certain percentage simply don’t point in the right direction. One knowledgeable person that machines a tremendous number of slides will no longer machine slides for SIGs because of the issue. Dealing with SIG customer service has been fruitless to this point. I ended up just going out and buying a second Romeo 1 just to finish my testing since the first shot 6 feet low... after spending several hours on hold with customer service, and a handful of fruitless emails. The ones I got to work seemed to function fine. If you buy one, I would buy in person. I laid them on on a level countertop and then measured that the dot aimed about 1 inch above the counter height at the longest distance you can get in the shop. The bad ones will be obvious.

I don’t make it a point to run down products or companies, but I am certainly frustrated and $600 poorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, terrapin said:

For test purposes, I have collected red dot optics from nearly all the major companies. At this point, you couldn’t pay me to use any SIG product. Out of the box, a certain percentage simply don’t point in the right direction. One knowledgeable person that machines a tremendous number of slides will no longer machine slides for SIGs because of the issue. Dealing with SIG customer service has been fruitless to this point. I ended up just going out and buying a second Romeo 1 just to finish my testing since the first shot 6 feet low... after spending several hours on hold with customer service, and a handful of fruitless emails. The ones I got to work seemed to function fine. If you buy one, I would buy in person. I laid them on on a level countertop and then measured that the dot aimed about 1 inch above the counter height at the longest distance you can get in the shop. The bad ones will be obvious.

I don’t make it a point to run down products or companies, but I am certainly frustrated and $600 poorer.

You have a favorite out of the different dots you've tested?

You have a favorite out of the different dots you've tested?

I have the most faith in the new Leupold Delta Point Pro (they updated the printed circuit board that used to cause issues).

The Trijicon SRO has a better viewing area. I’ll have a firmer opinion after I abuse it for a while.

The Holoson 507c has the option of running a 60 MOA ring. I think this gets me back on target faster.

Those three seem have the best reputation on the internet. If I were getting a slide machined for competition, I would probably go with the Trijicon SRO. That footprint will also work for the Trijicon RMR and Holoson 507c.

10 hours ago, terrapin said:

I have the most faith in the new Leupold Delta Point Pro (they updated the printed circuit board that used to cause issues).

The Trijicon SRO has a better viewing area. I’ll have a firmer opinion after I abuse it for a while.

The Holoson 507c has the option of running a 60 MOA ring. I think this gets me back on target faster.

Those three seem have the best reputation on the internet. If I were getting a slide machined for competition, I would probably go with the Trijicon SRO. That footprint will also work for the Trijicon RMR and Holoson 507c.

how many rounds do you have down range on the updated DPP?

Frankly with how badly I’ve been burned by the DPP I don’t think I could trust it again personally, at least not without putting more rounds down range than I care to invest in hope. 

And in contrast to your Sig optics experience, I have more rounds on each of my 3 Romeo 3 Max’es with no issues whatsoever than I did on any of my 3 DPPs, all of which broke (2 twice and 1 once). 

I've had good luck with my SIG optics.  I've had a Romeo 3XL on my carry optics gun for the last year without any issues after about 5000 rounds.  I've had a Romeo 1 Pro on my carry gun (SIG 320X Compact) since May with no issues after about 500 rounds including shooting several matches with it.  Love the gun and optic so hoping it holds up.  My experience with MRDS is that they all have problems and it pretty much seems to be luck of the draw regardless of brand.  I will also add that I was a Grunt for 20 years and can be pretty hard on equipment.  I definitely don't baby them. 

I must be luckier than some other on this thread.  Of five Burris FF3s, one had to go back to the factory because it would not hold windage zero.  They each saw tens of thousands of rounds through them.  Three were slide mounted.   One of three DPP 2.5s had to go back because it kept blinking on and off.  One is slide mounted.  Two C-More RTS2 V4s had to go back before they were even mounted, because the screws holding the bottom plate on stood proud and would not allow the mount to sit flush.  All four of the RTSv4s worked from day one.  All my SROs worked from day one.  My Slideride worked from day one.  My Railway worked from day one.  So did my Sig Romeo one.

So with a combined 100,000+ rounds through all of them, only two had to go back because they developed defects that prevented their use.  Yes, two C-Mores had to go back, but that was because of improper assembly.  I think those with recurring problems are doing something wrong.

• 5 months later...

Romeo vs. Trijicon:

Romeo: mounted on P320

RD count: appr. 5K

Usage: Local competition, tactical classes, general range

Issues: none so far, slight wear on outside of housing due to 2+ years of crawling, barricade work. Light could be slightly brighter for daytime/bright sun usage

Pros: I prefer the true magnification vs. the trijicon. had no issues with battery life, POI/POA shift, Romeo has held up as expected. The romeo,                     when mounted, looks more OEM or factory vs. my the trijicon mounted on my GLOCK 17

Trijicon: mounted on GLOCK 17

RD count: appr. 30K+

Usage: Local competition, tactical classes, general range, pistol and site has been put through all the abuse you can think of with a high round count pistol

Issues: none so far, 

Pros: tough as a tank, outside housing shows minimal to no wear, scratches, dents/dings

Cons: not true no magnification, viewing area is noticeable smaller than the Romeo. I'm just slightly faster on site/target acquisition with the romeo

Had to order a space/water protection for mounting the trijicon on my GLOCK 17 that should have been included in the trijicon

Although my GLOCK 17 was "milled " from factory, it sits too high because GLOCK decided to mill for a "one size" fits all red dot

Thoughts:

Want a tank of a site = trijicon

Want a slightly larger and clear glass/viewing area = romeo

Want a Sig manufacture problems warranty = romeo

Want a factory milled and "OEM" looking rig = romeo

*IMO, both sites work as advertised and it all boils down to how your eye likes the glass/viewing. If I recommended one or the other, it would veer off into a "fan boy" club.

Edited by buckyjames1

On 9/14/2020 at 9:24 AM, AKJD said:

I've had good luck with my SIG optics.  I've had a Romeo 3XL on my carry optics gun for the last year without any issues after about 5000 rounds.  I've had a Romeo 1 Pro on my carry gun (SIG 320X Compact) since May with no issues after about 500 rounds including shooting several matches with it.  Love the gun and optic so hoping it holds up.  My experience with MRDS is that they all have problems and it pretty much seems to be luck of the draw regardless of brand.  I will also add that I was a Grunt for 20 years and can be pretty hard on equipment.  I definitely don't baby them. 

Update:

Started having issues with my Romeo 3 xl so contacted SIG and after explaining the issue they sent me a FedEx shipping label. Notified yesterday of a return shipment from SIG. I don’t know if they repaired or replaced it yet, scheduled to be delivered on Monday. Turnaround was about 5 weeks. Luckily I have 2 RTS2 that fit the same adapter plate.

• 9 months later...

This year I decided to try out the Trijicon SRO on a GLOCK 17

So long RMR...RMR is going to be sold!

Its strange how much such a little viewing area increase vs. the RMR actually makes.

You never know until you try it out but for me..SRO won.

Only caveat is that I have  relatively low round count on the SRO. 

• 3 weeks later...