Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small pistol Primers are not dropping out of the Magazine in a new DP XL750 - Help?

LoadingLin

Small pistol Primers are not dropping out of the Magazine. This is a new XL 750 unit and the magazine tip is still fine, I have been trying on and off for 3 weeks to get this set up.  

**I have checked the plastic end on the primer tube on the press to see that it is not damaged, seated correctly, and is the correct tube 

**If I remove the primer magazine from the housing, hold it upright on the bench, and drop one primer down into the magazine, it flows through no problem.  

**When I have no primers in the tube, the mechanism cycles as it should and I can see down the tube with a light that the primer cup is indeed in place and ready to receive, so the operating arm and the slide are fine. 

**When I send a primer down the magazine inserted in the housing and cycle the press, the primer punch and slide are working fine and the primer does not fall into the primer cup- IT DOES NOT FALL AT ALL If I tap the magazine housing then the primer will fall out onto the slide so I can sweep it out with a small brush. 

**Careful about trying to line up the groove in the magazine holder with the little tab on the magazine and then push down a tiny bit more. WHAT ELSE? Can anyone think I anything else I haven't tried?  

I just fixed this problem on a friends XL750.  This issue with his press is the Primer Slide Assembly was not moving far enough back.  There is a metal reed on the back of the primer tube assembly that needs to open up far enough to allow the primer to drop.  I had to adjust where the Priming Slide Actuating Rod to allow the Primer Slide Assembly to move far enough back.  In the Diagram, I had to essentially lower the Primer Slide Actuating Rod Mount on the Primer Magazine Shield lower on the tube when the Press Actuating lever was in the full down position.  Slide it to the point where the upper elbow (where the blue arrow is pointing for the "Primer Slide Actuating Rod") on the rod engages the upper pulley with the Press Actuating Level is in the full down position.  You might not have to lower it that much, because your press might be different.  Slowly adjust it until you primers drop into the Primer Slide Assembly.

image.png.99d975ed748a6401453d8167f00a4d22.png

You can also twist that mounting block to prevent the lower pulley from hanging up on the Priming Slide Assembly.

Let me know if you have any questions.  Best of luck.

Edited by Boomstick303

This sounds like something I will try.  So, Primer Slide Actuating Rod Mount is the mount at the top that Dillon gives a specific height measure for, so did you have  lower it out of that range? I ask because I did not touch it and it measures  whatever that measurement was 5.xx" - I am at work and don't have my manual with me. I did the vice bend trick for the rod but was ineffective at preventing the hangup of the pulley so I just replaced the rod and it is sliding fine. Thanks for your input.

11 minutes ago, LoadingLin said:

This sounds like something I will try.  So, Primer Slide Actuating Rod Mount is the mount at the top that Dillon gives a specific height measure for, so did you have  lower it out of that range? I ask because I did not touch it and it measures  whatever that measurement was 5.xx" - I am at work and don't have my manual with me. I did the vice bend trick for the rod but was ineffective at preventing the hangup of the pulley so I just replaced the rod and it is sliding fine. Thanks for your input.

Yea, I researched the rod bend idea for the pulley hanging up.  I did not like that idea in that I am not a fan of bending items from the original design.  In my research I also found that twisting the mounting block idea.  All I had to do was slightly rotate the mount counterclockwise (i believe) a bit and this prevented the lower pulley from hanging up on the Primer Slider Assembly.  I did not even realize there was a measurement for the mounting position of the block the on Primer Magazine shield.  I just looked at what was going on and realized what the remedy was.  It took a minute to get the correct position, but I was only there to help a buddy out.  I loaded about 200 rounds and it seemed to have not issues dropping primers after the final adjustment.  I have not talked to him sense so I am not sure if he has experienced any issues since.

I guess I would have to ask did your primer drop issues come after bending the rod for the pulley hanging up?  If so, this might have changed that stock measurement for the original block mount, mounting position.

Actually this is new setup; I have not had a primer drop successfully yet. The problem has been from the beginning. I just got a response from Dillon after your post that said to do the same thing! But they did not offer the great detail you gave and it took them a week to respond . Thanks I am going to try this now. I keep doing everything by installation manual and I feel like I am just getting nowhere. 

Well I did all of it and primers don’t drop until I lift that darn magazine and they fall on the slide and it’s the devil to sweep it out. I just don’t get it. When I look down the magazine shield I can see the primer cup on the slide in place. I put the magazine in the shield in that little groove, send a primer down the magazine cycle the press and nothing... it’s not like the primer is even falling behind the cup, it’s not falling out until I start to lift out the magazine.

19 hours ago, LoadingLin said:

Well I did all of it and primers don’t drop until I lift that darn magazine and they fall on the slide and it’s the devil to sweep it out. I just don’t get it. When I look down the magazine shield I can see the primer cup on the slide in place. I put the magazine in the shield in that little groove, send a primer down the magazine cycle the press and nothing... it’s not like the primer is even falling behind the cup, it’s not falling out until I start to lift out the magazine.

In this case the manual's trouble shooting guide for the XL750 is the best bet moving forward until Dillon, gets back to you.  Starting on page 48 you can go through the entire priming system step by step.  Dillon has one of the best trouble shooting guides I have ever seen.  I would go through everything.  

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and I will try to help.  Good luck.

I will, again, I must have missed something; it’s just mostly everyone discusses the primer cup not presenting under the magazine shield, but that is not my problem; that alignment seems fine as I can see it when I look down with a light; thanks for your time and help :)

16 hours ago, LoadingLin said:

I will, again, I must have missed something; it’s just mostly everyone discusses the primer cup not presenting under the magazine shield, but that is not my problem; that alignment seems fine as I can see it when I look down with a light; thanks for your time and help :)

If you are still having issues, I would check part numbers for the various parts in the priming system.  Someone (on this forum I believe) had a Super 1050 shipped to them with the incorrect Primer Slide shipped with his press.  It was giving him fits until he realized the wrong part was installed on the press.  He contacted Dillon with the issue and the immediately shipped him the correct part.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 8:17 PM, George16 said:

Try adjusting the primer drop - cup position setscrew to align the cup with the tube. Shine a flashlight to make sure they’re lined up properly.

great tip, also be sure your primer feed tube(you called it magazine I think) is not being driven down too deep into the holder.

also be sure your prime rpick up set  up is a bit  loose  ( thos es et  screws require hand tightening with small primers it seems)  not to tight ot  too loose. 

if too loose, the primer pick up does NOT pushback the plastic retaining pin enough to drop a primer into the cup

good luck

• 2 months later...

when this happens to me( large primers not small), I have to pull and reseat the primer magazine  and then be sure the slide is actually pushing back the small plastic retainer as I pull the handle down during my cycle. many times the slide  does NOT fully push back the plastic retainer( the metal strip behind  it does NOT open fully so I must be sure that I realign and tighten down  the slide in proper alignment to drop primers.  not sure WHY this happens.

NOW I watch (with each down stroke of the handle) to be sure the metal tab is opening up so a primer can drop