Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small pistol Primers are not dropping out of the Magazine in a new DP XL750 - Help?

LoadingLin

• 4 months later...

Adding my experience...started about 5000 rounds in on the press.

Primers would not feed without light finger pressure on the feed rod, even with a 45 case. Felt a click each time I would push down. I could see the feed rod drop about half as far as it should. After much fiddling found I could lightly push up on the back of the primer bar and the primer would drop.

Fast forward after two calls to Dillon - they suggested moving the priming rod holder a degree counter clockwise and resetting the primer cup assembly by removing and putting a spent primer in the mushing down and retighteninging the plunger to the bar. None of this fixed it alone.

Took the assembly off again, disassembled the plunger from the primer bar, cleaned everything with a rag and a qtip  for the cup. Tightened the bolts holding the primer bar plate to the press body, all three needed a half to three quarters turn. Reassembled everything, but hand tightened the two thumb screws that hold the primer tube assembly on. Lightly hand tightened the primer knob and now it runs like it should.

I think the issue was a combination of the cup being a little to high (manual says 1.38-1.39, mine was 1.388 and was able to get to 1.32), the lower plate being slightly angled (before tightening 3 screws) and over tightening the thumb screws on the bottom and the knob on the tube. Now she is aligned and has just enough play.

Edited by r4ndy