Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

School me on lasers for PCC

I have been looking into the pros/cons of getting a laser for my pcc. I run a JP - GMR-15 and would love any info on how they have helped during a match. I've seen a few run at my club for strong LH leans or open steel shots on the buzzer. Any reccomendations/reviews are appreciated.

Thanks,

-SS

As you say they are good for hard left leans if the target is close. I have the Crimson Trace 206. It's kinda expensive but definitely the one to go with. It's really not that often I use it, but when I do it is worth it.

Like a lot of this stuff there's different opinions and no right or wrong answer.

I’ve had a crimson trace 206 green laser on my guns for years. Maybe used them a dozen times. Either a hard left lean or a hip shot off the start position. When you need it, it’s useful but not more than about 7-8 yards out in the sun.

I also have the CT206 laser.  It's sighted in for 5 yards.  I literally never use it as I find using a laser to be slower/distracting.  I also don't practice with it either... 

I have the opposite problem where anything that's a right lean is difficult for me as I'm a southpaw.  So I run into this issue a lot.  I'd rather have an offset red dot so when your holding your gun at a 45 degreeish angle around a wall, you can aim straight at it.  Otherwise as you know, the offset of your primary red dot would be sending bullets either into a wall or a no shoot...

Edited by Bdh821
Just now, Stephen7942 said:

Interesting point there bhd- thanks for that Info. I haven’t considered an offset red dot but may have to look into that!

That being said, I also took my offset red dot off as my MPX is a heavy bastard and I never used the offset dot either LOL

Another 206 green user, in addition to awkward leans and hip shots on the start, I’ve used mine as a backup sight if I forget to turn on the dot, yes it’s dim, yes it sucked, but it was useable, and I’ve used it on low ports with mesh walls, being in age denial with bad knees.  especially if the port is in the middle of a stage where I’d have to squat, kneel then get up to finish, easier on me

IM sure I will get flamed for this but gonna do it anyway. You do not need a laser or an offset. It is an excuse for not learning and practicing to shoot tight left leans or the it looks cool factor. I shoot close to 75 matches a year and have never ever seen the need for a laser or offset. Learn your optic inside and out. Practice with it so that it becomes second nature. Understand your optics offset so if you have to roll it you know exactly where the round is gonna impact. My opinion about shooting from the hip is dont. Its not natural to do so. We practice over and over mounting the gun in the same spot to now decide shooting from the hip is better. In reality the off set optic evolved from 3gun where shooters used red dots for close targets when scopes had to much mag.

I use the green 206 as well, but in a different way than anyone mentioned.  I have mine mounted just in front off my Holosun  and I use mine in conjunction with my red dot. I have my red dot sighted at approx 18 to 20 yds.  The red dot is on top and just below is the green dot. To me, it seems to draw my eye quicker on the target and I feel that it lets me be more accurate on hard targets with hard cover. Also you may pick up the green dot coming up on a close target before the rifle is even mounted, if you get used to it, that may be quicker as well for you.  Just me but you also have the benefits of the hip shots, hard leans ,etc. Works for me, if anyone tries it let me know what you think.  

Tommy Roupe

Edited by troupe
15 hours ago, Diver123 said:

IM sure I will get flamed for this but gonna do it anyway. You do not need a laser or an offset. It is an excuse for not learning and practicing to shoot tight left leans or the it looks cool factor. I shoot close to 75 matches a year and have never ever seen the need for a laser or offset. Learn your optic inside and out. Practice with it so that it becomes second nature. Understand your optics offset so if you have to roll it you know exactly where the round is gonna impact. My opinion about shooting from the hip is dont. Its not natural to do so. We practice over and over mounting the gun in the same spot to now decide shooting from the hip is better. In reality the off set optic evolved from 3gun where shooters used red dots for close targets when scopes had to much mag.

I guess you are not old and or fat or you would think differently.

You could also practice hip shots along with the other things you mention.

Just saying

Oh I am older. Maybe even fat too. I dont see a need to practice hips shots for once a year possibility. PCC's belong mounted on your shoulder not shot from the hip like an old western with shotguns. I have seen it go bad and when it does everyone laughs so there is that part. Some entertainment. I saw one person running a laser once at a match. It lasted one stage before he turned it off. Provided some comedy for the other shooters. Maybe they are popular elsewhere but not anywhere I shoot. Maybe its a west coast east coast thing. 

2 hours ago, Diver123 said:

Oh I am older. Maybe even fat too. I dont see a need to practice hips shots for once a year possibility. PCC's belong mounted on your shoulder not shot from the hip like an old western with shotguns. I have seen it go bad and when it does everyone laughs so there is that part. Some entertainment. I saw one person running a laser once at a match. It lasted one stage before he turned it off. Provided some comedy for the other shooters. Maybe they are popular elsewhere but not anywhere I shoot. Maybe its a west coast east coast thing. 

What do you call older?

7 hours ago, Diver123 said:

Your joking right,

But you are right, I used to think I was old when I was 49.

Wait until you are in your 60's and are still playing this game.

Or like me now that I am 79 and still kicking a lot of asses!

Enjoy it while you can my friend.

14 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

Your joking right,

But you are right, I used to think I was old when I was 49.

Wait until you are in your 60's and are still playing this game.

Or like me now that I am 79 and still kicking a lot of asses!

Enjoy it while you can my friend.

Ill say thats Fing great that you are still shooting and enjoying it at 79. I shoot with some buddies that are 70 and 69. Im older than most shooters out here. Competing against 24 year olds is rough. They go home drink and go out. I go home and sleep!

1 hour ago, Diver123 said:

Ill say thats Fing great that you are still shooting and enjoying it at 79. I shoot with some buddies that are 70 and 69. Im older than most shooters out here. Competing against 24 year olds is rough. They go home drink and go out. I go home and sleep!

Enjoy!